1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Licence Super Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ken, Feb 1, 2015.

1. UnLuckyBenski

Mobster

Just put a river round your house. Problem solved.

2. Rannoch

Soldato

A colleague told me that if you have a TV you need a licence. :D

3. mrbell1984

Capodecina

I got grassed up at work because someone thought that too, they had the nerve to ring them up to report me. Muppets. Proved them wrong and when the licence inspector come to the door I let them in, was perfectly fine that I didn't need a licence.

4. Nasher

Capodecina

Wow, **** work mates. What did you do as revenge? :D

5. mrbell1984

Capodecina

Just a told you so then ignored them for life after grassing me up. Weren't work mates they over heard and I found out who it was because people talk! :) I said one day that I didn't have one and then they assumed I needed one because I had a TV.

6. Rannoch

Soldato

Incredible. Why do some people feel so strongly about it, crazy.

7. UnLuckyBenski

Mobster

Indeed! The TV license pays some of my wages (company is part BBC owned) but it's not my business what people are doing about their own license responsibility. Jeez.

8. mrbell1984

Capodecina

The licence company shouldn't even be able to enforce it. Saying that I have a fishing licence and they come check when you are fishing on different lakes. If you don't have a legal up to date yearly licence you can be fined up to £2500 on the spot + could have all your fishing equipment taken off you as well, bare in mind this can add up too £3000 pound if you into fishing that much!

It's kind of the same concept if you are caught watching live tv when asked then I suppose it's still a valid reason to give you a fine.

9. bigmike20vt

Wise Guy

Wow there really are some <redacted> in the world.

As I said earlier I always thought that was technically the case too with a licence ,(I think it has perhaps changed at some point) however I would never dob someone in.
    Hell, I DO have a valid TV licence but would be a liar if I said all the music I have every heard and every TV program I have ever watched came from "official," sources.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  10. mrbell1984

Capodecina

All that’s happening is there’s a bit control. It would get out of hand if people found out they stopped visiting and sending letters.

Everyone would just declare they didn’t need one.

Before if you had a TV you needed a licence so why they changed it when streaming servers and games machines properly come about I don’t know. Their own fault really.

a lot of people actually don’t watch anything live and they use online media now more and more.

11. Kenai

Capodecina

This hasn't been the case since the 2003 legislation and I'm pretty sure it wasn't the case before that either but it's not as easy to dig out actual legislative wording to confirm.

12. Nasher

Capodecina

They used to check for a licence when you bought one from a store. But that went out ages ago.

With online shopping it would be near impossible to police now anyway. I doubt ebay sellers etc are going to care.

13. Malevolence

Capodecina

You mean when they asked you for a post-code at the till and you obliged by making one up?

14. HungryHippos

Sgarrista

I've managed to go 2 months so far at my new house without even getting a letter. Previous occupants appeared to have Sky (there is a dish on the back wall still) so that would require one to operate.

I'd never let them in though if they asked, may as well just let any Tom, Dick or Harry in!

15. mrbell1984

Capodecina

Bet you that would be fun.

16. HungryHippos

Sgarrista

Give me your address, I'll tip them off to say that you don't have a licence but you need one. Then you can have them! :eek:

17. mrbell1984

Capodecina

That doesn't count. ;)

18. Stumble Bum

Wise Guy

I received one before I'd even moved in 3 weeks ago, and another one today. They've both gone straight in the bin. Imagine in this day and age having such an antiquated tv tax.

19. MissChief

Capodecina

I honestly don't get how people get so upset? If you don't watch broadcast TV then tell them so and move on with your life. It's not difficult yet some people get in such a tizzy about it all.

20. Basher

Sgarrista

It’s like dashcammers, they’d rather create drama from it unnecessarily.