TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
Just had to ring TVL after getting some of their BS we can take you to court for breaking the law/investigating your property etc.
Told the guy on the phone that I don't need a license/don't watch tv/iplayer etc. All he said was ignore any further letters as you're on our system for the next 2 years as not requiring a license. Only other thing mentioned was that he said they have to state watching/recording live braoadcasts/iplayer without a license is breaking the law and subject to prosecution.

Nothing worth watching on bbc any more.

/end

Associate
The BBC should be forced to either use adverts instead or use a model where we subscribe to their services instead of being forced to pay.

The licence fee is a joke, most of the shows they produce are garbage with only a few exceptions, usually documentaries.

Man of Honour
Never paid it, never will. And yet I can still watch all the live TV I want.

ATTENTIONWHORE.jpg

Associate
Wow so you're now obliged to tell them you do not need a licence or face further 'investigation'.

You then have to let them know why you do not need a license. The whole process online is pretty painless but seriously encrypt the signal / link iplayer to your license!!!

Soldato
Has anyone ever let the inspectors in? Curious as to what they look for.

I mean theoretically they could bring up iPlayer on your PC or TV and say you're capable of watching a live broadcast. Gotcha!

Last edited:
Associate
They just have a good old snoop around your property and *test* all your TVs.

What gets on my nerves is they think they have the gods given right to access your back garden to peer through your windows. They send 2 goons when they do this in case things get lively.

Soldato
Personally, I'd never let them in.

I read somewhere ages ago that Sir Alan Sugar hasn't paid his TV licence in years

Nor does Noel Edmonds apparently. Even though he put himself forward for running the BBC :p

I mean theoretically they could bring up iPlayer on your PC or TV and say you're capable of watching a live broadcast. Gotcha!

Block iplayer with your firewall :D

Last edited:
Just had to ring TVL after getting some of their BS we can take you to court for breaking the law/investigating your property etc.
Told the guy on the phone that I don't need a license/don't watch tv/iplayer etc. All he said was ignore any further letters as you're on our system for the next 2 years as not requiring a license. Only other thing mentioned was that he said they have to state watching/recording live braoadcasts/iplayer without a license is breaking the law and subject to prosecution.

Nothing worth watching on bbc any more.

/end

No you did it all wrong. What you do is ignore the letters don't tell them anything in the hope they send someone to your house. Then you get to come to the forums and cry like a little bitch that the mean BBC is bullying you. Throw in a few references to the Freemen of the Land morons and you are good to go.

Honestly, spending 2 minutes of your time to tell them you don't need a licence. What a noob.

Soldato
Has anyone ever let the inspectors in? Curious as to what they look for.

Yup, they were polite, punctual, asked the TV to be switched on, could see it didn't have any channels tuned in and capable of watching anything, didn't ask to see elsewhere in the property. Didn't check behind the TV for an aerial, left after 5 minutes.

In 3 years only had 2 letters and a single visit.

Soldato
Doesn't the TV license get used for a number of "other" things beyond just television broadcast, such as radio broadcast infrastructure, world service, broadband rollout, bits of money to ITV / Channel 4, digital television rollout etc?

Then things the BBC does as far as R&D is concerned are typically for the benefit of everyone. I am sure are countless other things I have not mentioned.

To some extent:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telev...United_Kingdom#Licence_fee_collection_and_use

Channel 4 doesn't get any of it and I doubt ITV does either. The infrastructure is mostly owned by other companies who will be paid by all the broadcasters.

Realistically a Sky subscription supports R&D, infrastructure etc too.

Back
Top Bottom