TV Licence Super Thread

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Moved into a rented property and got letter to pay TV licence.

If I just ignore them, will anything actually happen? If someone knocks on the door I can just refuse entry? Would anything happen after that?

Soldato

If I just ignore them, will anything actually happen? If someone knocks on the door I can just refuse entry? Would anything happen after that?

Just don't answer the door to strangers.

Nothing will happen either way.

Soldato

Assuming you don't watch any live TV then just tell them. If you do you'll obviously need to pay the TV license.

Caporegime

if you ignore them you'll get more letters, some of which are designed to scare you etc..

they might try and visit sometimes but if you work for a living then chances are you'll just come home to a bit of paper saying they called round and will call again

I've told them a couple of times that I have no need for a TV license but after 2 years or so the letters start again - perhaps didn't help that I did buy a license back in 2012 to watch the olympics

over several years I've only met a license person once, he was a bit sneaky - didn't identify himself and told me to come downstairs for a delivery then told me I needed a TV license, I told him I didn't and closed the door on him - if he'd been up front about the reason for his visit in the first place I'd have been more inclined to buzz him in and let him see my TV etc..

I can't be bothered with them any more, aside from the odd day like today I'm not usually in until very late in the evening and am gone in the morning so I'm happy to let them waste their time trying to call round when I'm not in.

Soldato
Do people genuinely have a problem with the idea of a licence or is it just an easy way to rebel a bit and stick it to the man without really running the risk of getting done for anything like you would for refusing to pay council tax or something?

Caporegime
Do people genuinely have a problem with the idea of a licence or is it just an easy way to rebel a bit and stick it to the man without really running the risk of getting done for anything like you would for refusing to pay council tax or something?

To me it's not about the money or sticking it to the man, it's how they go about it. They try and intimidate people, use crafty language to sound much more serious than they are and bully people in to paying. I've noissues supporting their cause, but I don't purely out of disgust at how they treat people.

If one of their "officers" came to my door to "carry out an investigation" I'd tell him in no uncertain terms to go **** himself.

Soldato

People like to have arguments. It makes them feel special.

Soldato
Well what I like to do is collect and use the letters to light BBQ's in summer and completely ignore the falsely threatening/bullying content from people who don't even know my name. That's simpler.

And you're perfectly entitled to do that. Assuming you don't watch live TV.

Soldato
Yes we genuinely have a problem with the licence. Its the way we are treated as though we are guilty and in the wrong when we don't have a licence even when we are correctly unlicensed.

Soldato
Yes we genuinely have a problem with the licence. Its the way we are treated as though we are guilty and in the wrong when we don't have a licence even when we are correctly unlicensed.

I know you do, the most harrassed man in the history of TV. :p

Associate

If you are being harassed then you should complain.

If they really won't stop you might be able to claim compensation.

I'm guessing that ignoring them won't help you to get cash out of them.
I would cooperate within reason but if they keep hassling you might get some cash.
By chasing people who don't need a license they are wasting money.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...viewers-harassed-by-licence-fee-officers.html

Soldato
I know you do, the most harrassed man in the history of TV. :p
Hardly there are people who have been treated much worse then me by the TV people. Like when the inspectors forced their way into a home with a minor without the parents to let them in or filming though peoples windows and the rest.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Has it not occurred to you that (especially with the prevalence of Netflix/Amazon Prime) some people simply don't watch broadcast TV anymore?

Soldato
Has it not occurred to you that (especially with the prevalence of Netflix/Amazon Prime) some people simply don't watch broadcast TV anymore?

It has.

Has it not occurred to you that the post was obviously aimed at those who openly require one but refuse to get one?

Back
Top Bottom