Type R and VTEC owners

Man of Honour
OP
I wouldn't pay that much for that mileage. Mine is for sale for £2500 and has 84,000 miles and I've had lots of interest, could have sold it actually if my job situation hadn't have changed this past week or so resulting me in needing that car for a few weeks. The boot is the same size as a typical saloon but it is hindered by the fact that the seats don't fold.

Soldato
I wouldn't pay that much for that mileage. Mine is for sale for £2500 and has 84,000 miles and I've had lots of interest, could have sold it actually if my job situation hadn't have changed this past week or so resulting me in needing that car for a few weeks. The boot is the same size as a typical saloon but it is hindered by the fact that the seats don't fold.

I agree. I think what he wants for it is just too much. There is another for sale which has done 78k and is advertised on for a similar price to yours, it is a pre facelift. Again, I am not sure if it has A/C. No mention of having any 5th gear syncro issues sorted.

I'm rather disappointed about the seats not folding. I'm guessing it would be difficult to get a mountain bike inside the car and it would need to be dissembled or roof/boot racked?

Man of Honour
OP
I highly doubt a MTB would fit in the car. You'd need a hatch with folding rear seats for that.

FWIW mine has had everything done on it, clutch, drop links, timing belt, brakes, tyres etc etc. It needs nothing. I firmly believe that it's the best example for sale; shame I can't sell it just yet as I'm itching to change!

Soldato
I've seen yours, I would have to agree with you. It does seem the best example for the price you're wanting for it. I may just have to miss it as it's not practical for me. It is a real shame that the rear seats do not fold. Otherwise I would have one.

Soldato
Just bloody buy one Vita! :p

Oh I would love to have one. Just for the driving experience of it, but there is still something that concerns me which is, I am not willing to pay more then £2.5k. Problem is, most of them in that price range may have not been looked after well, I don't want to take a big risk and fall victim of it.

Some have done a lot of miles, for the engine it may not be much. The suspension/bushes on the other hand may be worn out, so the handling may not be as sharp. I don't want to buy one then spend ££££ sorting it out. I simply cannot afford to. I'd like something out of the box which needs nothing, apart from the usual service and if I have ££££ to spare then I would fix issues which may arise.

Like I stated before, it doesn't seem practical for me. I tend to haul a lot of stuff around for property maintenance and not being able to fit for example, a boiler or stair rails would be a issue. I just want a Honda though, there is something I really like about them, the engineering, the handling.

The Type-R has the five doors I need, the boot is said to be a good size from what I've been told, though I have no first hand experience of this. It has a high revving engine with a LSD, no 6th speed gear, which I don't really mind.

The Type-S has the 6th speed gear, not a high revving engine, though it will be newer, and not forcefully driven as the Type R (I hope). Finding one which is good value for the money is difficult. I have seen some which have done 130k miles and they are advertised for well over £3k. I don't think it's worth it.

I like the tourer's practicality however it's ugly as sin. I have also been told in the Type-S the rear seats do fold which is a bonus!

It will take a lot of consideration for me to a Type-R. It does appeal to me, but I may have to take a hit with the practicality, for the driving pleasure. It's a real shame that Honda didn't allow the rear seats to fold, unsure to why that is, as EP3 seats fold, as well as Teg DC2's.

When I first laid eyes on the DC2, that is the one I wanted. Though with a family and showing tenants viewings, it's just not practical. I would hate to say to a passenger "CHECK THIS OUT", and the sheer noise would deafen them from hardly any sound proofing, (which again I'm told the ATR has little of).

The image wouldn't do me good and neither would the passenger be pleased.

I may just have to hold out a lot longer, but the itch is terrible at the moment.

Man of Honour
OP
Why cant you sell? no buyers or need it for a bit longer?

Because I won't have the money to buy a replacement for another 6 weeks or so, and in the meantime I need a reliable car. I could sell it and buy something cheap to run around in but being honest I can't be bothered with the hassle of changing a perfectly good car for one I don't know for the sake of selling mine early.

I'd then also have to sell this new replacement car in order to then be able to get a DC5 or whatever I buy. In the middle of all this I start a new job at the other end of the country and may have to sort out moving house and it's just hassle I can deal without. I know my car should sell quickly at the asking price when I put it up for sale again and if it doesn't then I'll just drop the price till it does.

Plus this way the car will have fresh MoT and fresh tax along with two new tyres so would sell quickly I think. I've had two people offer to come pick it up at asking which I've refused and two others who came to view and said they'd have driven it away that day. Bit of a shame for the buyers (I do feel a bit of a **** about it) but I didn't expect this sudden job change and I hadn't managed to remove the advert (now done).

Last edited:
Soldato
Well it's good news on the insurance front. It'll be a reduction then what I currently pay. Which is surprising considering my age and location.

Chris would you even bother with the 136k type r depending if it has FSH and being a facelift, though no A/C.

You know much more about them then I do.

Don
Not with the DC5, but I did once own a Citroen ZX where the door locks would freeze OPEN in really cold weather. I would attempt to shut the door and it would just bounce open again! That was a bit of a PITA, driving whilst attempting to keep my door shut :p

Back
Top Bottom