Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
Saying that though my Accord was the last generation to be built in Swindon and I can't fault the quality of the car, not a single bit of rust on the bodywork or chassis, or any squeaks, rattles, noises etc and it has taken a hell of a beating from me and not looked after thoroughly, last time I washed it was last summer!

Last edited:
Soldato
There is an Auto Express review of the last gen Accord where they found rust at the earthing points on long term testing, I think it was 6 months maybe a year old

Its not always a bad thing, most cars rust somewhere but Honda's just seem to do it too much too early

Man of Honour
OP
So yeah. I was all set on an Evo. Then it had to happen, didn't it. At my new place of work there's a CW FD2 in the car park. Raging dilemma!

Soldato
So yeah. I was all set on an Evo. Then it had to happen, didn't it. At my new place of work there's a CW FD2 in the car park. Raging dilemma!

That is a dilemma!

I would be biased and go for the FD2 - not many about, a great chassis and it has vtec y0. It's a nice looking car too, plus you've had many Hondas so it's familiar territory. Drive both and see which you like, I have an inkling that you may just choose the Evo as it's what your heart is after.

My ATR was made in Swindon, if I had the money to buy the CL1 I would have done so. JDM all day, everyday. My ATR is rust free, touch wood. It just has niggling problems which are annoying. Chris, where are TGM located? Are they familiar with ATR's? I need some work doing which shouldn't cost much and put me at ease for a while. Are H22A7's tappaty? Mine seems tappaty even when driving between 1-2.5krpm. I hope nothing is wrong with it. :(

Man of Honour
OP
Hi, they're in Fleet. Tom looks after my car, no complaints. Performance Autoworks in Fairford are highly recommended too. The engines can be tappety especially when cold.

Soldato
Accords look lovely but I just don't need or want a car that big. Performance Autoworks do all my stuff too. They are 40m drive for me but I don't mind as they are the only garage I trust.

Soldato
Hi, they're in Fleet. Tom looks after my car, no complaints. Performance Autoworks in Fairford are highly recommended too. The engines can be tappety especially when cold.

Fleet seems to be closer to me. I need my gaskets changed and new oil sump fitted once I have the parts and, basically I want a checking over of the car.

I really think there is something wrong with my gearbox, either it's lack of oil or something else. I say this because even with the clutch down and in first/second gear (while coasting), there seems to be a grindish noise. It's not like grating, though like when bearings are rubbing against each other...It's difficult to describe. There are no crunches or anything so I'm unsure.

I've done 2000 miles since I've had it and apart from the slight oil leaks, nothing major is a concern apart from the noise I described and my ns rear shock needed a change.

Soldato
There is an Auto Express review of the last gen Accord where they found rust at the earthing points on long term testing, I think it was 6 months maybe a year old

Its not always a bad thing, most cars rust somewhere but Honda's just seem to do it too much too early

A Honda wouldn't be a Honda without a bit of rust! It's in their DNA, a bit like Alfa's and Lancia's. :cool:

Soldato
Vita, should have bought mine. ;)

It's not Red. :o

I'm not too disheartened. Things are bound to go wrong with an old car, especially if it has been abused in it's younger years (which does seem to be the case).

I'll sort it slowly, I will just need to keep an eye on things and I think I will be paying TGM a visit. Are they able to do work on the car whilst I wait? Or will I need to leave it with them for a day or two?

Associate
Had the S in for its big 54k service at performancetek in Glasgow, plugs, fluids, filters and valve clearances done. Also got him to have a look at the bushes, none seized and he's greased them up, extremely chuffed. Also had the 38mm exhaust mod done and managed to source an OEM front lip which got fitted today. Picking it up tomorrow so will get some pics up, should give the front end a more aggresive look. Hard top will be coming off in the next week or so for some top down action :D

Soldato
Fleet seems to be closer to me. I need my gaskets changed and new oil sump fitted once I have the parts and, basically I want a checking over of the car.

Beware that it's always pretty mental down there and you might be waiting for a bit.

There's usually another/other owners hanging around to chat to :D

Soldato
They dont really improve aerodynamics as the cause drag. But at the same time they improve 'aerodynamics' by functioning as a wing to deflect air upwards. The turning of the mass of air pushes the bumper down, they create downforce... or most cases reduce front end lift.

Car will be less keen to understeer. Its like adding mass for traction but without adding the actual mass.

Soldato
They dont really improve aerodynamics as the cause drag. But at the same time they improve 'aerodynamics' by functioning as a wing to deflect air upwards. The turning of the mass of air pushes the bumper down, they create downforce... or most cases reduce front end lift.

Car will be less keen to understeer. Its like adding mass for traction but without adding the actual mass.

Oh I get it, thanks for the explanation. Overkill for a road car I feel unless you do it for aesthetics. That said, FN2 under steer is well documented and the guy who has it does track often.

Back
Top Bottom