Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
That information is wrong, they only MOT failure that would occur was if they were present and non functioning. If they are not present then they are not an MOT test item so removing them will be no issue.

Must have changed again since May. Originally it was only if present. In May it changed to must be present. I have not seen an update since but if people are getting through the mot recently without them then they must have changed it again.

Man of Honour
Must have changed again since May. Originally it was only if present. In May it changed to must be present.

Please show us this change as it doesnt appear to exist (and if it did why would they then change it back, changes in the testing manual don't happen quickly enough for a change made 9 months ago to have already been reversed!).

It was never 'Must be present' in anything but 'guidance' issued after misunderstanding what was actually the case, so I'll save you the bother of linking to DFT opinions :p

Soldato
[TW]Fox;23810519 said:
Please show us this change as it doesnt appear to exist (and if it did why would they then change it back, changes in the testing manual don't happen quickly enough for a change made 9 months ago to have already been reversed!).

It was never 'Must be present' in anything but 'guidance' issued after misunderstanding what was actually the case, so I'll save you the bother of linking to DFT opinions :p

I posted the direct quote earlier. As I said I don't know the regulation as it stands today, Google it. EU law it seems influencing us again! If it is not in effect yet, it will be in future no doubt.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You have no source, just a random quote which doesn't match the mot manual.

Link us.

The test manual lists failure conditions. This does not include washers not present.

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;23810787 said:
Because NI is totally different and has its own set of authorities. It is not relevant to your claim.

As I said I don't know the exact regulation a this time. The ruling has already kicked in for NI. However the rule was meant to cover all of the UK in May 2012. Perhaps this never happened at the time and it was delayed to coming into force. It is certainly something to keep an eye on. People already getting fined for not having self levelling, this could happen in future for washers. It is about safety and the dirt on the lens affects the light pattern.

Man of Honour
People are getting fined for not having self levelling? No, they are not. The requirement for self levelling is even lower than washers as the test manual concedes that it is often not possible to verify it and benefit of doubt should be given in such cases.

As you are unable to support any of your claims with relevant legally binding documents I can only assume you are just making it up.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;23810841 said:
People are getting fined for not having self levelling? No, they are not. The requirement for self levelling is even lower than washers as the test manual concedes that it is often not possible to verify it and benefit of doubt should be given in such cases.

As you are unable to support any of your claims with relevant legally binding documents I can only assume you are just making it up.

I know people that have been by the police, because their lights could not self level they flashed the police car and they got pulled.

Man of Honour
Rubbish. Have you ever owned or driven a car with OEM self levelling Xenons? They don't adjust quickly enough on the fly for that, the main purpose is to prevent drivers being blinded by xenon equipped cars which are heavily loaded without the driver having adjusted the lights. This is why cars with self levelling rear suspension don't need separate levelling devices for the lights.

It is more likely they were pulled for blinding everyone with xenons badly fitted into reflector housings.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;23810880 said:
Rubbish. Have you ever owned or driven a car with OEM self levelling Xenons? They don't adjust quickly enough on the fly for that, the main purpose is to prevent drivers being blinded by xenon equipped cars which are heavily loaded without the driver having adjusted the lights. This is why cars with self levelling rear suspension don't need separate levelling devices for the lights.

It is more likely they were pulled for blinding everyone with xenons badly fitted into reflector housings.

Yes, my current car (Civic) has them. They react reasonably quickly to movements, I can't see them being that quick to bumps. Although, I can see that without that system I would definitely attract attention if I loaded the boot up too much. Perhaps the combination of a loaded boot and bumps could attract unwanted attention.

Caporegime
Never seen those GC bits before. Seems like a relatively extravagant purchase to solve a problem which is barely a problem. I will put them on the list of things to consider if I still own the car in a years time though.

Its a big issue on lowered cars.

rca_diagram.gif

Image2.jpg

Associate
I think the rules that Northern Ireland use are the original wordings of the rules. They were changed on the mainland UK before being introduced as they were obviously unfair and wrong.
DVLNI just didn't take up on the amendments and kept the original (unfair) wording.

Still. If you live in NI then you can still get your car MOT'd on the mainland and send the report off to DVLNI. I lived there for 5 years always got mine done on the mainland.

Soldato
I aint got one of those, is there an easy source to get it from? :)

I spose that diagram above makes sense too. I find my car wallows on corners when you're throwing it in now, definitely way more stable on fast corners before I lowered it. Wish I just changed the bushes all round instead now :D

Soldato
Did some work on the car today, slightly unplanned but everything worked out pretty nicely once I decided to be brave and take the bumper off myself.

My newly fitted HID kit had a few issues, so I had a new ballast sent out. In the process of fitting this yesterday I managed to drop the wire clip that holds the back of the headlight bulb in place - usually you need not unplug them, but as the wires on the back of the H7R bulbs are not detachable you have to unhook it, put the bulb in place, then pop it back in before fastening the clip in place.

Sods law dictated it was the passenger side clip that I dropped, it went down past the standard airbox scoop, somewhere between the fog light and the resonator box, not without removing the arch liner and fishing it out of the undertray :(. So with a non functioning headlight it meant I would have to sort it today, and if I drove around the clip might fall out somewhere and its not available separately from the headlight :(

This morning I took the arch liner off to get at the clip and it seemed pretty easy, lots of plastic clips but not as fragile or fiddly as I expected by looking at it, so I decided to fit the proper cold air feed and carbon ducts for my air intake, and the GP pack front splitter that I bought....next thing you know, my car was like this...

NjFa47D.jpg.png

Brute force and ignorance, and undoing two bolts, required to remove the hilariously convoluted standard 'cold air feed' and resonator boxes....this draws air in through a small opening in the inner wing, sends it down through the big 'box' resonator you see there, then back up into the bottom of the airbox through a pipe.

0FtfKMm.jpg.png

The mugen airbox I've fitted comes in two parts, the first being a larger volume and smoothed carbon fibre box for the filter, that is not too dissimilar to the OEM item. The second part is the cold air feed, this replaces all of the above with a straight bit of ducting that takes cold air directly from a scoop that goes in place of the foglight.

TIlODvw.jpg.png

Put it all back together again:

CQEZ2Kt.jpg.png

I like the GP pack splitter, the gloss black breaks up the look of the front end a bit compared to the standard lower bumper, and with the foglight ducts as well I think it looks that bit meaner.

As for the intake...but this point I was utterly frozen and elected to go indoors after 4 hours spent largely lying on the floor by the front bumper.

Next week I am having my Mfactory LSD fitted, and all my brake parts - rich, if you've not got around to having it done yet, I'd consider asking Eightspeed for a quote as they are very competitive!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Something is not right with the Accord. When I accelerate it pulls to the right slightly, then if I back off it pulls to the left. The only change is new tyres? Could it be pressures or something else at play?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
ducts look much better than lights imo. if i had an fn2 i would have done exactly the above tbh.

I think i am going with elite transmissions for mine Will. eightspeed quoted me via PM and its practically double what elite are quoting [plus i live right next to elite]

still not got round to fitting it, things sadly have stacked up against me recently

75k service is the big one meaning its going to be £250+ to get the car serviced and I need to have it done in the next few weeks.

I need two new tyres on the front as they were something mentioned in my MOT as being on the low side, not bad enough to be an advisory but the track day i did at the start of the month made it so they need replacing sooner :(

then once thats sorted, I can get the diff fitted. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Something is not right with the Accord. When I accelerate it pulls to the right slightly, then if I back off it pulls to the left. The only change is new tyres? Could it be pressures or something else at play?

Check pressures as I was having the same problem. Turned out my left was 24psi and right was 32psi. I still need to get my tracking sorted as 2nd gear VTEC the car really doesn't pull in a straight line I have to wrestle with the steering wheel.

Secondly, do a straight line brake test from 30mph on a quiet road just to see if it pulls on braking too.

I'd also check how the wheels are sat. May not be seated properly or something?

Back
Top Bottom