Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
With the ATR you have to shift just before the limiter between 2nd and 3rd otherwise you'll be out of VTEC. It's a PITA.

Thanks! I'll give it a go next time. I have to admit something about the rear end of an EP3 attracts me. Not sure what is is.

Chris I'm glad you replied I wanted to ask you a question regarding your recent purchase. Didn't you consider any other cars? M3's etc?

Man of Honour
OP
Yes, of course I've considered other cars. I've considered many many other cars. I've thought about E39 M5's, E46 M3's, FD2's and beyond. I've thought about getting another DC5 and tuning it, I've thought about getting an RS4. I don't really know how to explain why I am buying an Evo except the fact that it's a car I enjoy driving and a car I've wanted for some 4 years + now.

I don't see me replacing it within anything except a 911 Turbo or a GTR in a few years time, but who know what the future will bring. I may end up hating the Evo after a few months and get something different.

Soldato
I guess it's a itch you've wanted to scratch. I've been the same with the ATR, wanted a Honda with performance, needed five doors. Only one that ticked the boxes. Yet there are cars such as a Subaru/Evo with 5 doors and bags of performance. I just can't justify myself ever owning one as they just don't appeal to me.

Next purchase if circumstances are good will be a FD2 in a few years time. If not that then a CL9. Performance wise it's enough for my needs. I drove a friends tuned Subaru and thought it's just too much power for me.

Soldato
It's enough for my needs. The boot is big enough only shame is that the rear seats don't fold, would have been great if they did. Anything more with performance I'd end up stacking. Being young doesn't help. As of late I've appreciated driving and haven't had much fun in terms of testing the cars limits. The LSD is a bonus though really like that it has one.

There is the odd creak and rattle here and there which is to be expected. Another bonus factor is I want to work on it myself and feel comfortable enough to do so.

Man of Honour
OP
Mate, Type R's make noises. I'd be worried if I drove one and it was silent!

ATR has one of the best suspension setups of all Type R's, enjoy it.

Soldato
Going to redo the ARB bushes and oil leaks. May get the VC's done again, but apart from that it's just cosmetics that need touching up. Can't really fault it anywhere else.

Soldato
I don't really know how to explain why I am buying an Evo except the fact that it's a car I enjoy driving and a car I've wanted for some 4 years + now.

I don't see me replacing it within anything except a 911 Turbo or a GTR in a few years time, but who know what the future will bring. I may end up hating the Evo after a few months and get something different.

But you probably won't ;)

I think I'm in my 3rd or 4th year of Evo ownership now, but there will always be a special place in my heart for Honda.

I think the logical progression is a Porsche, but the ones I want are well out of my price range.

If I could have afforded it, I probably would have gotten an S2000 over the MX5. Prices aren't as good over here though.

Soldato
Got my new custom zorst being fitted next Friday, along with my fog scoops, and a FRS. Then I'm pretty much done as far as modding is concerned and I'll commence the house saving with the gf :)

Soldato
Is it just me or is the k20 dipstick crap (assuming its the same on fn2 as ep3?)

It doesn't come in or out very easily on my car. When I take it out, wipe it clean, then dip it back in and check it.....there's still blobs of oil all over the place on it, its hard to work out what the true level is. How much oil gets burned by your type rs?

Man of Honour
OP
But you probably won't ;)

I think I'm in my 3rd or 4th year of Evo ownership now, but there will always be a special place in my heart for Honda.

I think the logical progression is a Porsche, but the ones I want are well out of my price range.

If I could have afforded it, I probably would have gotten an S2000 over the MX5. Prices aren't as good over here though.

You're probably right. As long as I find a decent commuting car I'll probably keep the Evo for a while.

Is it just me or is the k20 dipstick crap (assuming its the same on fn2 as ep3?)

It doesn't come in or out very easily on my car. When I take it out, wipe it clean, then dip it back in and check it.....there's still blobs of oil all over the place on it, its hard to work out what the true level is. How much oil gets burned by your type rs?

Never really had an issue, are you allowing time for the oil to drain back into the sump if you've cranked it?

Some don't use oil, other use a litre every 600 miles, all depends on how the engine was run in.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
its fiddly but ive never had an issue with it.
usually reads fine, so may be an fn2 thing. i dont think there is any difference in the two though.

mine used to eat through a lot of oil but its been brilliant since the last change. hardly any drop in level at all
my mechanic said that a change to a decent oil filter was probably what made that happen.

not sure if thats true or not but the better consumption coincides with the last change i did

Soldato
Never really had an issue, are you allowing time for the oil to drain back into the sump if you've cranked it?

Some don't use oil, other use a litre every 600 miles, all depends on how the engine was run in.

Yes giving it time to drain, even tried from cold. Its just fiddly, definitely the right dipstick for the car (the handbook shows the end of the fn2 dipsticks as differing dependent upon engine/variant and mine matches the type r images).

Mine doesnt seem to have used any oil since I had it, but I've only done 600 miles or so.

The oil doesnt look very clean though, not entirely sure how thorough a service the honda garage gave it I have to say, its pretty black for a car serviced 600 miles ago... :rolleyes: :(

Man of Honour
OP
If it's not clean then get it changed, oil changes aren't that expensive. If it was only services 600 miles ago you should struggle to see the oil on the dipstick.

Soldato
That was my thinking really, I actually already have oil that would due the trick (got 6l of Titan Pro S 5w40), its just a case of getting it done.

If its dry tomorrow I'll take a proper look at the oil on there and get some pics, I'm tempted to play my face at the garage that apparently serviced it before I bought it...its not as clear as I'd expect, put it like that.

Back
Top Bottom