Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
Had a strange occurance today. I started my car up in the morning, went to do a 3 point turn. Had the steering on full lock, and the car conked out (cue me thinking that's it, it's dead). Went to start it again it was cutting and running and cutting, even giving gas it it died. Ok I thought now it's really dead.

I started it up again and put the steering straight, voila, all was fine. I noticed some time a go when the power steering is being used on full lock it does stutter like it will stall. Is my pump on the way out?

I think its due a cam belt/tensioner change as they were last done at 80k miles IIRC. 5 years ago.

Soldato
EP3 was making a weird noise earlier. Started to worry as MOT is this month. Could not for the life of me work out where it was coming from. Sounded like rushing air. Didn't increase of decrease noise with speed, didn't go away if I dipped the clutch of braked hard. Only went away when I stopped.

After a while driving I got home, looked under the car and there was a massive pri-ckly (I can't say that on this forum? Lol) bush/branch thing tangled in my front ARB which was dragging along the ground :D problem solved...

Soldato
Thinking of putting my Civic up for sale now, pretty bored of it.

The prices on EP3's have dropped hugely but theres still a big variance in price.

I was thinking sticking it up for £4600 and seeing what offers I get, be chucking loads of money away with this car but when you're bored and want a change, what can you do :)

80k, I'm the 4th owner, tax for 6 months, mot till oct, fsh (part honda part other), loads spent since I've had it, preventative maintenance really, everything changed service wise, good nick inside and out. Well looked after car.

Anyone think this is too much/too little? Focus ST's I'm looking at around 07/57 reg on 50k or a bit less are up for 7k pretty much. I need as much as I can from my Civic.

Permabanned
I wouldn't swap an EP3 for a heavy inefficient Focus ST which is less economical. I think the bread van has it on looks too !!

Have you done the bolt on upgrades? I was starting to get tired of mine but they make so much difference, it never gets boring now. Don't have to thrash the hell out of it for it to move.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone think this is too much/too little? Focus ST's I'm looking at around 07/57 reg on 50k or a bit less are up for 7k pretty much. I need as much as I can from my Civic.

Selling your EP3 for a sidestep into an ST costing around £3k more is completely pants on head retarded.

That is all :D

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
have you driven a focus ST?

straight line grunt it will be a bit faster in the mid range compared to an ep3. but the end result is largely similar.

a sorted EP3 [like yours] would eat it for breakfast in the corners though.
this was based on me driving a facelift ST3 Mountune MP260.

i hear the pre facelift ST should be avoided if possible too as they fixed a lot of inherent problems on the newer model.

i would imagine a stock ST wouldnt offer anything over an EP3 bar a slightly nicer interior.

again, it would have to be ST3 spec as the lower specification models have poor interiors in my opinion.

Permabanned
After hours of video editing i've finally finished my Timing Chain replacement guide. As previously mentioned in the thread I had the error P0341 which basically meant my chain had stretched beyond the tensioners capabilities.

Would be great to get your comments, feedback or any tweaks I should do. I was the camera man and my talented dad was the brains :)

I've put the link so you can view it in HD.

Replacing Timing Chain, Guides and Tensioner on Honda Civic Type R EP3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQSn4FuUVXE&hd=1

Last edited:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
That looks like a huge job JT

certainly not something i would consider undertaking myself but the video seems spot on.

Permabanned
That looks like a huge job JT

certainly not something i would consider undertaking myself but the video seems spot on.

It was !! for my dad lol :)

I can understand why garages quote quite a high price to do the job now. Although if your doing them quite a lot it and had all the tools it could be done in a few hours, may be less.

Not making the mistake of putting the liquid seal and cam chain case on and then realising you forgot to fit the crank pulser plate, so we had to take the chain case off again.

Caporegime
After hours of video editing i've finally finished my Timing Chain replacement guide. As previously mentioned in the thread I had the error P0341 which basically meant my chain had stretched beyond the tensioners capabilities.

I watched this and it brought back horrible memories of doing my my missus car (Nissan Primera 1.8 2002). Which was even worse as you had to remove the center cross member (Leaving the engine on 1 engine mount out of 4!). This had to be done so you could drop the sump as the chain could not be replaced with the sump in place. I almost forgot I had to remove the down pipe as well to give the sump enough space to clear the oil strainer! I also had no tool for the crank shaft pulley so had to wedge the handle of a hammer in between the crank and block with a breaker bar on the crank shaft pulley! It was also a very wet and cold September. I envy you being able to do it in a garage. (My garage was full of junk at the time!)

The reason for our stretched chain was to do with oil breaking down the chain and weakening it causing it to stretch. Mainly caused by neglected servicing although it is a common problem with the engine fitted to that car.

My SR20 chain on the other hand has been as strong as an ox. It has a external chain tensioner too unlike the internal ones on yours and my missus car so it can be replaced with a new/uprated part when it becomes worn.

Last edited:
Permabanned
It was nice to have a warm garage to do it in, I would hate to have to do it in the yard or street. I've seen a few others on the forums having to have it done at a similar 70K miles. I'll see how many miles I do until the next time I have to do it :); if it's within 10,000 miles I probably need to adjust my driving style lol.

I was definitely scared turning the key for the first time after.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fitted a Mugen rear splitter to my civic... Looks alright :)

nvyw69.jpg

Also added fog scoops.. Grill left to go and then im done with body work. Manifold and race cat to follow :D

Back
Top Bottom