Type R and VTEC owners

Sorry this isn't about a type r guys but :

I'm off to look at a 2008 type s gt civic tomorrow, is there anything major I need to look at? I'd have gone for a diesel but only do around 9k a year now so really don't need one!

Thanks for any pointers

Again with the 2006+ Civic you need to check where the roof meets the windscreen for rust and also at the top of door pillar the rubber hooks over, left it up and look at the metal to see if its rusty under the rubber

Other than that its just general wear and tear and the usual stuff with any car

The top one has the 19" rage wheels and yes that is standard finish. personally I'd avoid as the Type R doesn't need 19" and tyres will cost a pretty penny too.

I'd try to get an 09 model or later because they include an LSD as standard which apparently makes a big difference.

The LEDs are aftermarket and look pap.

I'm not too keen on red as it seems to fade quick and they are ten a penny. Colour is subjective though!

The FN2s don't seem to fade much, certainly I've not seen a faded Milano red one yet...I replaced by front/rear valances on my car with the GP pack ones, the red on the new parts matched the rest of the 2008 car pretty damn well, certainly as well as you'd expect with red paint on different materials.

The quality of the paintwork is still rubbish mind, all Civics of this era have thin lacqeur and are very prone to stone chips...but at least they dont seem to be fading yet.

Hopefully will get my car booked in for the rusty roof fix next week, dealership have taken mileage and pictures as well as details of the history, I am told it should not be a problem for Honda UK to sort it and will also get a courtesy car....jazz time I expect!

would they reject the repair of the roof - say if the car had not had a full service history ?

even though very unlikely to be an influence

Experience seems to be very varied, depends how helpful (or not) your dealer wants to be. Some have had it fixed on cars which have never been serviced at Honda and never had any corrosion checks done....others have had dealers turn down cars with full Honda History because the separate corrosion checks haven't been done, or because it was once serviced outside of the Honda dealer network outside of the original 3 year mechanical warranty.

I haven't had the best treatment from Honda until now but I have a mate who works at the closest garage, who has 'put in a word' for me about this. My car was an 'approved used' car with FSH and a record of corrosion checks, bought from a main dealer in January of this year, so getting it fixed under warranty should not be hassle!

Just had a test drive of a silver Type R (2008) 44k interior was in shocking condition and they wanted 10k for it!

There pushy sods at Honda, the guy really tried to sell it to me!

Gonna look at more tomorrow, not in a rush and my budget is 8k maximum.

:p

I bought it as a mile muncher for which it's very good at. Yes it has higher running costs and purchase price than the 2L Zetec but I wanted something more rewarding dor drive and look at than a 2L Zetec. It was a great car overall, it didn't really go wrong apart from one or two niggles, but it is a ticking time bomb with the DMF and Injectors. But god, the engine, off the motorway it's just crap, the noise, the power delivery - all of it; hateful thing.

I sold it as I could:

a) Insure something better
b) Afford to run something better
c) I didn't need to do that many miles

So I spunked it all on a 13 year old lemon :cool:

Back
Top Bottom