Type R and VTEC owners

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=161&i=28132

Member off the Accordr forum. Great car. I really do want another but can't justify it this time round.

Enjoyed reading that especially since I just bought one. Looking forward to getting it back to its former glory. Booked in for wheel refurbishment, full set of F1 AS2's to go on and a new exhaust, once that done I'll be getting the paint work in order.

Well since i like shiny bits that dont do much got myself oil catch can from ebay for few pounds. Not like U need one for NA but looks nice and got me outside to work on itr :).

1072227_701731876509336_1511719696_o.jpg

1074885_701731849842672_1789977913_o.jpg

Just need some descent hose instead of that greenish one. Had nothing better around :D

If all goes as planed next month i should have Blox intake manifold with hondata gasket. So i guess it will keep it clean.

Last edited:
So test drove an STI and Evo VIII today. Apparently I prefer NA with its instant linear power delivery. I'm actually quite sad about it, finally at a stage in my life where I can afford to buy and run a young adult dream car of mine and I found them both dull as dishwater.
I even asked if everything was ok with the evo because it felt so dull. Ok when turbo kicks it in fun but other than that its just boring boring boring.
I've been convinced I needed big power in my life and that's just been totally quashed today. I think I'm going to go the SC FD2 route, there are simply no other cars I can think of that I like the look of and have the high revving NA engines. Yes SC isn't NA but its still linear.

Maybe you didn't drive it as an Evo is meant to be driven, or it had worn suspension and crud tyres on, because they are far from dull to drive.

Or you're just weird.

Not at all. A few members on forums I frequent scratched the big power evo itch and ended up back in FD's for the same reason. Murray being one of them, not sure if you know him.
Maybe I should test another one, can you explain how I'm supposed to drive it on the roads to get the most of it? Do I have to do double the speed limit?
I have no doubts on a track it's a different beast but on the roads a bit of a waste IMO. Can anything be done to almost eliminate turbo lag? If that was possible then I might be tempted.
If anything the STI was nicer purely from the sound it made but tbh I always see them as a poor mans Evo even if I did prefer it.

Last edited:
Turbo will be laggy below 3k rpm on the IX but MIVEC helps a lot, can't remember how the VIII is. You do have to keep them on boil though, but much easier to do IMO than a Type R as you don't have to be above 5-6k rpm. As long as you are above 3k in a IX you will barely notice any lag. But, I do admit, there is something addictive about pressing the throttle and there being instant power RPM dependant rather than that split second pause.

Turbo will be laggy below 3k rpm on the IX but MIVEC helps a lot, can't remember how the VIII is. You do have to keep them on boil though, but much easier to do IMO than a Type R as you don't have to be above 5-6k rpm. As long as you are above 3k in a IX you will barely notice any lag. But, I do admit, there is something addictive about pressing the throttle and there being instant power RPM dependant rather than that split second pause.

I did try to keep the revs up but traffic was a bit of an issue. Maybe I didn't give it a fair enough test, was a bog standard FQ 300 btw. I think I need to try the IX because really that's the one I want and this test was a bit of a compromise as it was local. Maybe it's a good thing I didn't like it so much. The car still accelerated far beyond anything I've driven before and I'd imagine is very addictive on the right roads.
Back to the drawing board.

5 doors don't belong on a hatchback. That was literally the reason I never considered one. Considering just saving a bit more and going for a white X. Would like the built in nav and fosgate audio and still plenty of performance.

Last edited:
I did try to keep the revs up but traffic was a bit of an issue. Maybe I didn't give it a fair enough test, was a bog standard FQ 300 btw. I think I need to try the IX because really that's the one I want and this test was a bit of a compromise as it was local. Maybe it's a good thing I didn't like it so much. The car still accelerated far beyond anything I've driven before and I'd imagine is very addictive on the right roads.
Back to the drawing board.

I test drove an FQ300 X and when it got to 5k I thought it was broken, I was very disappointed but dont get me wrong, its faster than a Civic but just feels a little lifeless. It felt like I had to short shift just to keep it on the power which is a waste but it could just be that i am used to my civic and revving it to hell and back to get the thing moving.

Spoke to Gibbo who took his Evo X up to 400+ and he says that thats just how they are. A remap, intercooler, intake and exhaust will see circa 400bhp and cost around £2k. That will bring the cars engine to life and from what i remember of his, it was an absolute weapon all the way up the rev range!

Back
Top Bottom