Type R and VTEC owners

I test drove an FQ300 X and when it got to 5k I thought it was broken, I was very disappointed but dont get me wrong, its faster than a Civic but just feels a little lifeless. It felt like I had to short shift just to keep it on the power which is a waste but it could just be that i am used to my civic and revving it to hell and back to get the thing moving.

Spoke to Gibbo who took his Evo X up to 400+ and he says that thats just how they are. A remap, intercooler, intake and exhaust will see circa 400bhp and cost around £2k. That will bring the cars engine to life and from what i remember of his, it was an absolute weapon all the way up the rev range!

Yes he said how great it was on his M Power thread, don't some models of X have a weird gearbox with the paddles rather than the trusty old stick?
I've got it in my head I want 400/400 power/torque and I think that is a safe amount on stock internals from what I've read.
Glad I'm not the only one who found the first experience a bit underwhelming anyway, makes me sound a bit more sane lol.

Mine (IX FQ320) was a bit weak above 6000, decat sorted that. You don't need 400/400, just a decat and intake, they respond very well to basic bolt ons. If you start chasing numbers in an Evo you will spend £1000's on 10 bhp which you won't notice on the road. Mine's around 380bhp and it's fast enough for UK roads. If you found an VIII boring you won't like the X, they are far more grown up and refined compared to the VII-IX model. Seriously, go fine a IX 340 or similar and drive that.

TBH I had no reasoning behind the 400/400, I suppose you add bits until you feel it's right for you. I don't doubt you are right about the fast enough comment! Sometimes I wonder why I want something quicker than my CTR, but I think it's natural to want more power at times. My CTR is weak off the line and I fancy a lot better straight line speed.

No, I don't like the shape and tbh after an initial bit of flirting with a Z4M I don't feel BMW is a brand I wan't to go near at this time. Seen a few E90 for <20k but usually high mileage and still not sure I fancy one.
Never driven one mind, not sure I'm pompous enough to drive one ;)

Last edited:
Have you considered an E46 M3?

this ^

despite me being 99% certain I want an S2000 next, the E46 is on my list of 'stuff to drive' before I get one. [this of course is not being helped by being sat next to Gibbo all day]

gotta try it out though, just in case ;)

If 'feeling slow' is the only negative then that just reinforces how good the M3 is. You'd be getting a more complete car over an Evo IMO. It's defiantly one to tick and they're not exactly in short supply!

Just make sure it gets a bush refresh, it deserves it.

this ^

despite me being 99% certain I want an S2000 next, the E46 is on my list of 'stuff to drive' before I get one. [this of course is not being helped by being sat next to Gibbo all day]

gotta try it out though, just in case ;)

I found the S2000 really slow. Mine seemed to take an age to get up through the revs compared to Chris's DC5. The vtec engines are pretty gutless but they make up for it in how responsive they are. The S2000 is the exception to the rule in my opinion.
Horrible in the wet too :)

I found the S2000 really slow. Mine seemed to take an age to get up through the revs compared to Chris's DC5. The vtec engines are pretty gutless but they make up for it in how responsive they are. The S2000 is the exception to the rule in my opinion.
Horrible in the wet too :)

They don't have the mid range of a K20 but they are rev machines. They will never feel fast on a motorway but its country lanes where they excel

You do need to get used to the power delivery and revs though, most people who drive mine change gear at 6000rpm so then it feels like an MX5.

Took me a while to get used to mine but for the roads I drive on it's pretty good once you work out how to drive it 'right'.

Can't say I've had any issues with mine in the wet either, have covered about 22k in just over a year in mine.

Back
Top Bottom