Type R and VTEC owners

I think this would be the right thread to post this. I am after some opinion on getting an ATR.

So first of all, my situation:

I currently have a 53 (Mk1) Octavia VRS and a J Reg Mk2 Rev2 MR2 as fun/weekend cars. I have recently swapped my Civic for a CRV as my company car.

Looking at the VRS, turbo power is starting to get boring. I originally bought it because of its large boot size. There is no need for that anymore since I had the CRV. I also think it has too much power for its handling ability to start off with anyway.

Looking at the MR2, it just too impractical. To start off with, 2 seats is not enough and the thought of it wanting to throw me into the hedge every time I drive it in the winter is just too much for me. It is also too much work to keep it on the road due to its age. It is a lot of fun when it works though.

Therefore, the though is to get rid of both the VRS and MR2 and get an ATR instead. Reason is I want the following:

1. Good reliability as I am tired of spending all my time fixing the MR2
2. 4 doors/seats as minimum as I carry passengers regularly and I know they will complain about 3 door cars.
3. Good handling, no need to be as good as the MR2 but must be close/much better than the VRS
4. Reasonable fuel economy on runs (mid 20-low 30MPG on a run is OK)
5. High revving NA as I am getting tired of turbo power

My VRS except for a few stone chips is as close to perfect condition as it could get and completely standard. Therefore, I think £2.5K should be achievable if I sell it privately.The MR2 is a bit of a dog in comparison so I think I would get around £700 for it.

Having a look on the ATR forums, it seems like £3K should get me a decent enough example. What do you think? Have I missed something?

Having a look on the ATR forums, it seems like £3K should get me a decent enough example. What do you think? Have I missed something?

accordr.org is the best place to ask for advice on ATR's. I owned a Pre-Facelift ATR, which was a dog, but worked well for the first couple of days I had it. After that I uncovered little niggles, got them fixed then it went bust on me. So I decided to sell it on, eventually the guy who bought it off me broke it.

Some things to note - What are you after for £3k? £3k should get you a tidy facelift which will run on 95/98 ron (pre-facelift only ran on 98ron).

Also to note the gear syncros can go dead in reverse/5th gear on the Pre-facelift, not so much so on the facelift, still take this into account. Service history is a must on these cars with regular oil changes.

Rocker cover gaskets can leak, cam end seal gasket can leak, make sure to check these. Get under the car and have a good luck around the oil filter/oil pressure sensor as this can also leak. Rear of the boot can let water in so make sure you check the spare tyre area as this will normally fill in with water.

The pre-facelift in my opinion looks much nicer with the aggressive bumper/lips, and had sport exhaust as standard. The facelift not so much, and has down turned pipes on some of them.

MPG wise, 20 around town is reasonable, and 30 on a run is achievable but they're thirsty for what they are.

Handling wise they're bloody brilliant for a large car, the LSD works a treat and they do rev great. One problem I noted with 4 occupants and a boot full of suitcases they do seem to bog down a little power wise. They're also a bit of pain to keep in VTEC.

Rust issues, do note the doors where the rubbers meet the door frame as water can get in behind there and cause rust. Behind the front wheel, drivers side where it meets the firewall, is prone to rust from what I remember.

£3k might also net you one with the red recaro interior which is quite rare.

I'll add to this as I remember stuff, but if I could have one again, I would!

EDIT: When checking the engine, check the engine for any noise such as tapping, this could be a sign that the valve clearances need doing. Also check the crank pulley for slight wobbling as this can pop out as it can get worn at the rubber inside. It can be had for £180 at VTEC Direct last time I quoted for a price but I ended up paying £lolhonda price for one.

Also note the Xenon auto-levellers can sometimes stop working. To test these is to stand on the boot and jump up and down, the sensor IIRC is under the rear axel. When it senses movement at the rear it raises/lowers the headlights accordingly. There's a small pin or something in the sensor box that gives way, or the unit under the dash. Standard Honda clutches are fine, I had a XTD and lightened flywheel, with flowed injectors and my car was pretty quick, acceleration was great.

Last edited:
its as stock as i can realistically be bothered to get it.

got my recaros for sale still. but in no rush to sell anything so have it all up for the prices i want rather than what i would be willing to accept.

the car is stock bar the following:

- Integra DC5 Y2M3 Gearbox with LSD.
- ABP - Fast Road Set Up
- Honda JDM Rear Anti Roll Bar
- R8BYB 2.5" Silenced B-Pipe
- Ferodo DS2500 Brake Pads front and rear.
- HEL Braided Brake Lines and Motul RBF600 Fluid
- Type R Kick Plates
- Password: JDM - Wiper Delete
- Bosch Aero Twin Wipers
- Silvatec Indicators
- Tinted Rear Windows
- Jazz Spray Washers
- Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 215/40/17 Tyres

I purchased my first home two months ago and cash has been tight due to that and obviously from the time of year we are at. but I would say that I realistically havea budget of
£3k from savings and the sale of Civic parts
£4k ish from the Civic

I may look into some additional finance if I see a nice car worth going over budget for.

Ideally I would like GT spec 06+ with lowish miles in an interesting colour.

£4k ish from the Civic

I reckon you'll get around £4.2kish for the Civic. It's a clean example and they're getting like hens teeth now, as most have fallen into the VTEC innit bruvz hands.

Your add description is fine, but could do with better pictures tbh. Reason I say this, you'd benefit a lot more it going quick then waiting around for couple of months. Pictures always attract buyers. Ps; don't sell it at night.

Buying a new house and money tight, speaking from bias you should keep the EP3 :)

I wouldn't like go shopping for a new EP3, I'm sure there is a lot of good ones still out there but I bet there is many more rotters now.

Tbh, just hoping someone sees that it has had all the important mods done like the Ds2500s and the LSD gearbox.

I'm not in a mad rush to sell but I don't actually need a car now so its it a big deal. Live within walking distance of ocuk so the civic lives on the drive apart from weekends.

Vita, understand what you are saying. Will get some proper pictures when the weather cheers up. Need to get the recaros out of it and swap the stock stereo back in for proper interior pics.

Back
Top Bottom