Type R and VTEC owners

Going to view PFL EP3 tonight. What should I look out for, are they prone to leaks anywhere?

mileage. over 100k then you need to have some sort of record of major services and also the valve clearance checks.

if you drive it, you may here a raspy sound from the gearbox when you come off the accelerator pedal. don't worry, its not anything major and can be fixed on the cheap.

make sure the gears aren't notchy.

other than that, I would say buy on condition. there are a lot of people running PFL civics on pocket money and it really will show in the state of them.

matching tyres, a decent SH and an enthusiastic owner would be the standout things for me if I had to buy again.

Stormster's post on TRO that Dup linked is a brilliant guide.

Also check 2nd and 3rd gear during high revs and on downshifts aswell, if it grinds or if its hard to change into 2nd or 3rd then the syncro's will be on their way out, that's a new gearbox or rebuild job.

If you do need a cheap EP3, I'll be selling mine soon aswell :)

It's done 123k, another has done 118k, will be setting off in a small while to go view them.

I'm just worried about the release bearing whooshing sound. ATR used to do it and the main shaft bearing came off in the box according to the the guy who bought it off me. Wasn't apparent when doing low revs but really could be heard at high revs.

I've read the link and it really does seem like good advice. Tyres will be priority, just worried about oil leaks really.

Nothing really specific vita, just usual 12 year old car stuff.

issues I've found with mine (53 PFL NHB):
whiney alternator belt, £12
alloys need refurbing, not sure I cba
bulbs behind the rear demister/AC/recirc console need replacing, 50p per bulb

already fixed:
got new gear knob, £10 plus my old one
refurbed silver door handle inserts, £0 - used some left over vogue silver from the CRX
replaced two front tyres for F1 assymetric 2, £220

as SS said, check gearbox for crunches and check clutch for a low biting point.

First one seemed clean for the mileage. Pretty much what I want, Milano Red PFL, but the mileage is a little high for my liking and so is the price. I'm going to take my mate tomorrow who knows more about EP3's then me for a proper check. Didn't seem to have anything wrong with it, but VTEC didn't seem as harsh as it used to be in my ATR. Did pull a little to the right? Tracking/steering rod ends w/e they're called. Could have even been tyre pressure. I couldn't get under the car, to check for leaks etc but will do so tomorrow.

Oil was clean and on level, was a little tappety guessing it needs VC's done. It handled 'ok', not as sharp as my ATR, but not bad for a daily driver. Interior wise it was ok with some wear which is expected. No sound of Input shaft bearing when releasing the clutch, clutch seemed fine to me. Gearbox also seemed ok, however the position does take some getting used to.

There's one a little further out with less miles but it's a FL version. I might go view that as well just to see what they're like as I've never driven one.

The other one was a shed. I won't even bother explaining why. Wasted journey.

Tbh, I want one as a cheeky blast, but I'm worried that I may get bored soon after and won't be able to shift it on as quick as the market is full with them.

Just me who loves the facelift EP3 more than PFL? :p

Vita, you won't find the VTEC in the EP3 as harsh as on the ATR, its i-VTEC on the K20 rather than traditional 'old school' VTEC.

VTEC on DOHC controls both intake and exhaust cams.

i-VTEC controls both intake and exhaust cams, and also timing on the intake cam (VTC)

The VTC function serves to make the engine more linear and the transition between low cam and high cam tends to be smoother, less of a torque dip, so no 'kick' when VTEC engages.

AndrewNR Ye Trancecoda raves in Birmingham. The good stuff :) Next one up in March.
Nothing beats good trance. I was about to go for passion finale last weekend but it was my mates 30 birthday so broes b4 hoes and stuff :)

Went with my mate to view the FL/PFL. He couldn't fault either both said the PFL is better looking. :p The FL did seem to accelerate quicker so I'm guessing that's down to the lightened flywheel?

I'm going to sell my car before I go for a purchase. There are some around the same price as the PFL, and the dealer couldn't give me a good part ex on my car so I may as well sell it privately. I'm going to wait a while before I do make a purchase, at least I now have an idea on what to look for. I may hold out for a AE if I can get one at a decent price but they seem rare to come by.

They just offer so much fun for not much money now so that's attracting me.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Yellow position light started to **** me off so got some 6k led bulbs. Its spot on now. Few pounds and smile on my face is back :D
1507743_818244808191375_2023537000_n.jpg

Need to do the crappy side tomorrow as it started raining and you know how crap that side is to change :/

Muffin`hows things with ur teg ??

Back
Top Bottom