Type R and VTEC owners

And your experience?

High speed kinda prevents the slip angles and hence speed differential to get the most effect of limiting slip.

Unless you can wind a turn of the wheel in at 100mph!?

None, but I have managed to not wheel spin down the road or not make it round a corner yet driving legally. I'd like to drive a stock FN2 with LSD to see what difference it makes, food for thought certainly. Your 100mph comment kind of makes me think again what practical application these things have on the road.

Yup an LSD is great in a FWD car. Really noticable at how much easier it is to put the power down. Had one fitted to my Fiesta ST (Quiafe ATB) and my FN2 (Mfactory helical diff so again similar to an ATB)....amongst the best mods I did to either car really. Most noticable during tight cornering when you've got your foot in it...you can pull the car out of bends much faster without any wheelspin or scrubbing wide with understeer. Would really not want a 'performance' FWD car without one really...

Even pulling out fast from a side road at a T junction in the wet is better with the diff, its much harder to light up the wheels and you can be more confident of a quick getaway without wheelspin. With my FN2 on (worn) RE050As it was easy enough to spin up the wheels, yeah its not a torque monster but you can still get wheelspin.

You can of course be gentler and rely on electronics and then you might not notice it as much...but if its a car you enjoy driving hard on occasion, its not a subtle difference I assure you. You don't have to be a yob or driving like an idiot to feel the difference...you can feel the front end gripping better as you apply the throttle and it makes it much less prone to understeer.

When did anyone need more than 50hp?

Not sure what you're driving at there.

Even pulling out fast from a side road at a T junction in the wet is better with the diff, its much harder to light up the wheels and you can be more confident of a quick getaway without wheelspin. With my FN2 on (worn) RE050As it was easy enough to spin up the wheels, yeah its not a torque monster but you can still get wheelspin.

You can of course be gentler and rely on electronics and then you might not notice it as much...but if its a car you enjoy driving hard on occasion, its not a subtle difference I assure you.

If this was 2 years ago I'd be tempted to get one but I won't put any money into my car now, fell out of love with it very quickly. No fault of the car, just get bored of things fast. Only time I have an issue is 1st gear in the wet, even with nearly new ASY II's on all around. Did have a slip and slide the other day as well in second but I have no idea what happened, couldn't even tell what way I was going.

You work in the industry so perhaps you can give us better insight into this current topic, there's requirements that manufacturers have to fulfill to sell a car in a certain market like we've been talking about.

For example the new XE, to sell it in North America it will it need to have a powerful Petrol offering with an automatic gearbox in the lineup but in the UK it will need an EU6 Diesel offering with a 6 speed manual (To compete with the A4 and 3 series). Perhaps it may also have an AWD version offered for North Eastern United States but not in the Southern States (to account for the snow) like BMW do with the X series.

I just want to make it clear to The Running Man that manufacturers have to be competitive and turn a profit by giving the market exactly what it demands and his interpritation of extras like LSD's and difffernt power outputs can push the cost up to make it uncompetative to its rivals and it's not because they have 'no interest'. :D

None, but I have managed to not wheel spin down the road or not make it round a corner yet driving legally. I'd like to drive a stock FN2 with LSD to see what difference it makes, food for thought certainly. Your 100mph comment kind of makes me think again what practical application these things have on the road.

Point is that high speed isn't their forte, exiting a roundabout or hooking onto a tight curve with a way of managing push on understeer that doesn't involve backing off.

It's how you enable a car to give good driving flow rather than punching it between straights.

I just want to make it clear to The Running Man that manufacturers have to be competitive and turn a profit by giving the market exactly what it demands and his interpritation of extras like LSD's and difffernt power outputs can push the cost up to make it uncompetative to its rivals and it's not because they have 'no interest'.

Doesn't that lead to a catch 22 situation then?

Make A makes a model offering different engine choices and extras, so the price goes up, but cars don't sell because no one wants to pay XXXX amount for a car that doesn't have perceived brand cachet.

Make A makes a model with single engine choice and no fancy extras, no one wants to buy it as the stats and figures aren't good enough and the model is deemed second rate.

This happens to a certain extent in reality. But you look at the EP3 and that sold like hot cakes, without any trick extras, but it was packaged right for the market at that time. But Honda haven't made any profit in Europe for like 7 years now, and the Swindon factory works under capacity, they must be going wrong somewhere, even though they have changed to suit the market in many ways, but have been a little late to the game.

You work in the industry so perhaps you can give us better insight into this current topic, there's requirements that manufacturers have to fulfill to sell a car in a certain market like we've been talking about.

For example the new XE, to sell it in North America it will it need to have a powerful Petrol offering with an automatic gearbox in the lineup but in the UK it will need an EU6 Diesel offering with a 6 speed manual (To compete with the A4 and 3 series). Perhaps it may also have an AWD version offered for North Eastern United States but not in the Southern States (to account for the snow) like BMW do with the X series.

I just want to make it clear to The Running Man that manufacturers have to be competitive and turn a profit by giving the market exactly what it demands and his interpritation of extras like LSD's and difffernt power outputs can push the cost up to make it uncompetative to its rivals and it's not because they have 'no interest'. :D

I'm in PD not marketing or product planning!

Yes it's a funny game, Honda has for years appealed to enthusiasts yet they were never buying new cars, until of course the EP3 came along and gave them significant market penetration in the UK primarily down to price, cutting the LSD will have obviously made the business case with the material cost. honda at the time were of course losing a lot on the Insight so didn't need another loss leader :p Exporting to Japan with the Honda spec was probably possible due to exchange rates, the better spec car is a bit of a tradition and of course could compete.... Problem is there was the DC5. I don't know what price different Honda sold those JDM cars.

God knows what the new CTR will cost considering your mid 20k for a petrol one today! Interesting one to watch and wait for.

Last edited:
Not sure what you're driving at

The fact that what you need and what you want are usually different things.

If you claim you don't need an LSD for road driving then you could also claim other things. Like no needing to go over 70mph and hence not needing more than 50hp

Back
Top Bottom