Type R and VTEC owners

lol. I think I've missed the boat tbh. Need the sun to FO and it to snow so the prices come down.

market is all over the place in honesty mate.

you will see some people with PFL cars looking for similar money to 06+ cars. makes no sense. depends if they are in a rush to sell also.

im sure simon will be able to answer your questions best as his is an older model iirc.

what sort of budget are you looking at for an S?

Does anyone have real world MPG figures on the Accord Type S 2.4 and 2.0?

Ideally I want the 2.0 to keep running costs down, but the second hand market for the Accord Type S is really dire! So potentially looking to broaden my search by including the 2.4

Thanks

Hi guys, I'm looking at getting an (8th gen, 2006-2011) Civic, preferably the 2.2 i-cdti.

Has anyone here got one? Or know of anything specific to look out for?

I've been researching them to death and the main negative point I've seen is the rear spoiler obstructing vision.

Had a go in my friend's 1.8 Civic yesterday and fell in love with the interior (I'm coming from an '05 plate VW Bora 1.9 tdi) and also the amount of boot space.

The clutch is the weak point in the 2.2 version! Apart from that, its a very quiet engine compared to the VW PD lump, however power delivery is also very different to the VW.

Me personally, I'm looking to go back to a Bora from the civic as I prefer the build quality of a VW!

The clutch is the weak point in the 2.2 version! Apart from that, its a very quiet engine compared to the VW PD lump, however power delivery is also very different to the VW.

Me personally, I'm looking to go back to a Bora from the civic as I prefer the build quality of a VW!

Haha I'm the opposite. Getting a late 2007 1.8 petrol Type S GT. Had a drive around in it and couldn't believe how quiet it is! So nice to drive as well and the interior is light years ahead of the Bora.

Also I may be moving house soon and the Civic is so much more practical than the Bora (especially trying to fit my 50" TV in!). As well as the MPG on the VW diesel not being as economical as it's made out to be. I would get 35MPG going round town and only about 40-45MPG on long journeys. So in reality it wasn't saving me any money.

Oh and not to mention the rust problem that a lot of older VWs get. I looked at the new Jetta but they hold their price too well for me too afford

Does anyone have real world MPG figures on the Accord Type S 2.4 and 2.0?

Ideally I want the 2.0 to keep running costs down, but the second hand market for the Accord Type S is really dire! So potentially looking to broaden my search by including the 2.4

Thanks

I have an Exec Tourer with the same 2.4 as the Type-S and my average is 28mpg. :)

Few S2000 questions for Simon and co. Got my cheque from the insurance company. EP3 sold to a work mate!

Do the early 1999/2000 ones all have rusty rear arches?
How many miles have you put on your clutch?
What other problems have you had? Are the engine mounts still good with 100k+ miles?
Does the roof still work OK? (I think I'd want a hard top though tbh).

edit: found this http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/301506-technical-faq-v21/#entry7523823

Some are. Mine are but it's 15yr old and always been outside. Garages ones are better. They tend to rust from inside out

Clutch. Mine was on original till 102k. I replaced with a blueprint 'OEM' part. Clutch plate did have Honda stamped on. It's now on 157k and think it's getting a bit worn (gear changes aren't as pin sharp as used to be but I do drive it hard and my daily commute must have a million gear changes.)

Roofs never have mechanical issues however the material can wear and rip as the vinyl dries out. Good UV stuff like 3M 303 helps prolong the life.

Engine mounts ok as far as I know.

Thanks Simon. How bad are the arches? I know your S2000 has been used "properly".

I think I'm going off the S2000 idea tbh. I don't want to buy at the bottom of the market. I can stretch to 4.5k which simply isn't enough for sub 100k miles with a recent clutch and hard top.
Prices are only going to rise towards the summer too.

Last edited:
Mine has a replacement wing so can't judge by that but they do rot from inside and can suprise people.

Worth going for a bigger budget probably. Although a mate picked up a decent one 18 months ago. 5k for a 02 GT in MCB

Thanks Simon. How bad are the arches? I know your S2000 has been used "properly".

I think I'm going off the S2000 idea tbh. I don't want to buy at the bottom of the market. I can stretch to 4.5k which simply isn't enough for sub 100k miles with a recent clutch and hard top.
Prices are only going to rise towards the summer too.

4500 will net you a good pfl in my opinion. just ditch the hardtop requirement.

i noticed when buying that hardtops add a massive amount to the car. GT is cheaper to insure. it really doesnt make much of a difference but its that mental boundary like the higher VED that puts people off.

my car is last of the low VED and GT which means its resale should be decent.

the problem you have is that sacrificing the hardtop requirement will get you a better car but to retrofit the hardtop will require buying a hardtop [600-900] and a fitting kit [100-200] at a later date. realistically if the car hasnt ever been a GT model then you can resell the hardtop at a later date for pretty much what you paid for it.

the soft top isnt bad really, obviously a PFL wont have the glass rear window but does it really matter that much? every time I have driven my car since the hardtop came off, I have had the roof down except when it is raining.

if you want one, get one. but don't put limits on what you want. I wanted a yellow/orange car and got a grey one. I compromised because there wasn't a chance in hell that an orange one was going to pop up with similar spec to what I have now.

I think these are both priced quite realistically:

very nice GT here

this looks a genuine, looked after example

Back
Top Bottom