Type R and VTEC owners

:D:D:D

Proper trenchcoat there haha.

Back onto Hondas, my Integra can be a little hard to get into 3rd gear when changing down from 4th at times. Had the clutch and flywheel done about 3yrs ago (OEM). Any ideas?

Tempted to change my gearbox oil this weekend and also buy a new slave cylinder (old one looks rusty and about to fall apart), HEL braided line. I'll bleed the system with new oil as well just to top off a mini tranny clutch overhall.

I put fresh MTF3 in mine every 12k or so. If the problem is still there after an oil change (how many miles is 3 years?), then you probably need the synchro's replaced.

This is purely armchair expert opinion going by what I've read online.

doesn't anyone use land rover MTF94 anymore?

BD10NNF are you sure it was a Honda? Mitsubishi did a Colt Cyborg that had high cam lift (mivec). Not sure if they did a yellow one though, most of them were black.

Last edited:
Gearbox was refurbed by TGM about 4yrs ago (inc OEM clutch and lighweight flywheel) after I bought the car, new synchros also. I have a lot of mechanical sympathy so synchros won't be worn again. Will see how it is after the MTF change and clutch system overhaul.

Yeah as bledd says new MTF and clutch fluid - braided line optional for race cars

Awesomes, will go browse and decide if Amsoil or others are worth it. Will likely go MTF-3 or the MTF94. Any reasoning to deviate from the Honda MTF?

Clutch line going in as I might as well if replacing the slave cylinder and oil.

Is there an Engineering reason to use Amsoil or MTF94 over the Honda MTF?

All these little jobs to add to my 'Pre-Tour To Do List' are racking up :D

-Ad- I had that on crappy gearbox oil. Get some good stuff in some good dot4 for brake pump belled.
When my teg goes in for them rings and honing i am doing Clutch flywheel and clutch fluid to. Cause my exedy starts slipping after some clutch shots and 9krpm speed shifts lolz.

BTW i use honda MTF and fine so far :)

You can try http://www.ceramizer.com/content/view/33/37
Ceramizer for transmission. I did add some of that **** to engine oil and outgoing water temperature from the engine dropped 5-8 according to my defi dials. So it does do something :D More interesting how good it is in gearbox :D
On other note if my box goes ill get s80 one Bit better than 96 spec. But so far its working ok.

You can get one of those polyurethane gearbox guide things to for few pounds ^^

Last edited:
MTF 94 is Honda MTFII. Rover used the name for the PG1 boxes which were developed with Hinda

MTFIII/3 is a thinner version but both ultimately designed for Honda boxes. MTF3 is thinner for fuel economy so might not feel as nice as thicker oils

That amsoil is in between the two for viscosity. Not sure why they call it 5W-30 though as that's the SAE J300 grade which is for engine oils. Gear oils should use J306.

Simon said it, you can get the Land Rover stuff a lot cheaper than the Honda stuff too. I just went with MTF3 as I couldn't be bothered with paying shipping from two places :p

The FN3 needs the 75k service soon which includes gear oil change. I wonder what they will think if I just turn up with all the oils in metal tins :D

My S2000 is on MTF3. Gear change is nice even at 158k miles. I hear sawdust makes a gear change feel great though ;)

-Ad- I had that on crappy gearbox oil. Get some good stuff in some good dot4 for brake pump belled.
When my teg goes in for them rings and honing i am doing Clutch flywheel and clutch fluid to. Cause my exedy starts slipping after some clutch shots and 9krpm speed shifts lolz.

You can get one of those polyurethane gearbox guide things to for few pounds ^^

I have the MFactory shifter bushings, nice cheap mod.

Good stuff. A competition Clutch Flywheel is awesome, I have the 3.4kg one and highly recommend it. The revs fly up and due the lower weight you can use engine braking in traffic rather than brakes :)

MTF 94 is Honda MTFII. Rover used the name for the PG1 boxes which were developed with Hinda

MTFIII/3 is a thinner version but both ultimately designed for Honda boxes. MTF3 is thinner for fuel economy so might not feel as nice as thicker oils

That amsoil is in between the two for viscosity. Not sure why they call it 5W-30 though as that's the SAE J300 grade which is for engine oils. Gear oils should use J306.

Thanks for the explanation.

Will pickup some MTF 94.

Simon - Why would the the MTF effect the fuel economy?

Zed - That NSX looks fab, I have noticed Polish people love their Honda's, the car wash I go to is stereo-typically run by couple of Polish guys, always chatting about Honda's, one offered to buy mine but I told him to jog on :p

-Ad- i had ACT stage 2 + findaza flywheel on my b16 EG. It was awesome besides clutch to hard for pressing when in traffic but could clutch shot all the time with no slipping on that.
This time i will go with something different :)

Simon - Why would the the MTF effect the fuel economy?

Zed - That NSX looks fab, I have noticed Polish people love their Honda's, the car wash I go to is stereo-typically run by couple of Polish guys, always chatting about Honda's, one offered to buy mine but I told him to jog on :p

Thinner so less internal friction. However theres always a trade off between viscosity and protection.

Indeed, when I went for a thinner grade once, it felt amazing. But there's always that worry in the back of your mind that the protection isn't quite there, and unwanted consequences may occur.

Back
Top Bottom