Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
very clear description :) thanks!

i think i'd personally wanna give the car a bit more go, through the whole rev range rather than waiting for a turbo to spool up.

i may look into superchargers... i guess i'd need it fitted, and mapped by professionals right?

Soldato
Mapping is just as if not more important than the fitting. You want it done by someone who knows their VTEC lumps and the ECU/gear you are bolting to it. Find someone reputable via an owners club I would say. You are not going to get a good mapper in Guernsey or Jersey I would say. Better to spend a little extra and get it done in the UK. Maybe ship parts to Gsy to get the VAT off then bring them over with you for fitting.

You can minimise boost lag by matching the turbo to the engine and you can get on boost pretty damn fast but there will be _some_ degree of delay. Not saying turbos are bad - far from it. Just SCs seem more appropriate on a high revving engine where you ideally want to keep as much throttle response as possible.

I'm not sure how the Civic handles power from stock but you may also need to look at spending money on stopping power and possibly an uprated clutch. No doubt the Civic chaps can advise on that. Perhaps the package contains clutch work already?

Caporegime
Honda VTECs with Turbos feel different too other Turbo lumps. Mainly because they are still high compression, they tend to drive more like a big bike.

Caporegime
They both do the same thing but in different ways.

A Turbo uses exhaust gasses to spin the turbine so you will not come on boost instantly until some pressure is built as you move up the rev range. Bigger turbo = more exhaust gasses required to come on boost = more lag.

A supercharger is mechanically attached to the engine. Usually to the crankshaft. This means boost pressure is building from the get-go.

A Turbo will be easier and generally cheaper to get BIG power out of but unless you are looking for 400-500+ you can achieve the same power outputs with a supercharger and I, personally, think the supercharger approach is more suited to the high revving VTEC lump.

You retain the VTEC characteristics and throttle response but just add power everywhere on the rev range.

When/If I come to FI my S2000 in the future I will almost definitely be looking at superchargers.

S2000 Supercharges tend to have boost linked to revs. Only at high revs do you get max boost.

Soldato
Hi Guys,

Are many of you on Type-R owners clubs?

I've been tracking my "old" private registration (Will Gill v2!) and would quite like it back.

Its been transferred to a Civic Type R now according to some reg checks, anybody seen it on pics anywhere on the forums?

Reg is P222 PHL.

Cheers ;)

Soldato
a mild VTEC - but a K20 series none the less

the wife's "new" motor - compared to my old 1.8 VTI - it handles like rails - but power delivery is compeltely different - in the Type-S - theres serious amounts of mid-range 3-5k revs - but its not eager at the top end

but in themid-range almost feels like its got a mini turbo - hard to explain - much less linear than my 1.8 VTI engine

love the alloys too - and considering its not a Type-R - it still handles really well - like its on rails - very little body roll atall

not bad at all for<£4k

TYPE.jpg

Soldato
quick update....

but im being done for dangerous driving fml... :'( totally unfair.... im a good driver.

edit: so you wont be seeeing me much anymore in here.. :/

Soldato
tbh... my insurance will go up 200% so... i wont be getting a smiliar car.

the police were out to bust someone friday night.... unfortunately it was me..

Back
Top Bottom