Type R and VTEC owners

Mfactory one man, so it's a helical 1 way diff.

Excited to see the difference, unsure when I'm gonna fit it though, maybe next month :p

I thought it was a worthwhile purchase with the SC happening.

How did I miss this earlier on?!

That little car is going to be immense Nath!

Always fancied a coupe and it's a fairly nice car to sit in with the leather interior. i test drove a 2l one and it felt about as quick as my 1.4 vw golf.
I've asked about the car to find out:
Standard or not - he advised he removed the rear wiper (presume i can get one fitted again) and the wheels have been refurbed in gun metal
Interior quality - he says its fine no tears or anything and electrics work inside
Any problems getting into 2nd - he said it doesn't he checked this before buying it
any pull in steering - which he said there isnt
Service History - all done at local non dealer garage matching the honda spec, just been serviced at just over 112k miles
Tyres - they're bridgestone all round with a good bit of life

And now the only bad point which although isn't major it may annoy me... He said the key fob won't lock the car remotly all the time. it will unlock it but not lock it. he has to use the key. Any ideas if its something electrical what kinda cost it would cost to sort out and if its something on the key fob what the general cost is for a new key? Paid £225 for a key for my VW :(

He's 10 miles or so away so thought i'd get all the questions in before taking it for a spin

Could just be a faulty keyfob, if its a 03 reg onwards type R then a replacement keyfob can be picked up for around £15-25 second hand and it takes literally less than a minute to pair it up with the car :)

Should the standard clutch in the S2000 be able to handle a launch? Launched mine on Friday and I thought the clutch was slipping. Did it again today and it slipped again, Des was behind me and he said he could smell it.

If it does need changing, any alternates to OEM that are popular? Been told the Spoon and Toda ones are cheaper and better, also been told my flywheel may need changing as well as it'll have turned blue and may crack.

EDIT

Reading up, I think it's the delay valve.

Last edited:
Today it was high rpm and clutch coming up slow enough not to ruin the diff but quick enough to break traction and spin the wheels (which is what I intended). Instead revs went to about 6k and the car moved forward without breaking traction and by the time I'd put it into 2nd it was back to normal. Des was behind me in his Evo 5 and said afterwards that it stunk of burnt clutch while this was going on.

Found this article:
http://www.s2ki.com/home/2012/03/03/demystifying-the-ap2-drivetrain/

And after reading that I think it's the CDV and the fact that I am not launching it correctly.

I'm assuming that the CDV action brought the clutch in slowly which would explain the spell.

Yes. CDV makes it impossible, as long as your remove it and preload the diff before dropping the clutch you should have no issues.

Who is Des? Is his name significant to this story ? :p

Remove all the backlash from the drivetrain, roll forward with the handbrake half on before going for it. Reduces the shock on the drivetrain.

You should have no problems lighting up the rear wheels without the CDV. If you don't spin them up then they will bog down and are pretty lame till 25mph.

In reality you rarely need to do it so it's prob not worth the risk as much as you want to show up a 4wd

Simon, which twin exit exhausts work well? Any which are leaps and bounds better than others? Wanting something quiet with a nice note. Heard a Greddy SE this weekend and it was fantastic.

Also, would I see more from a decent cat back system or more from a Toda manifold?

Last edited:
Not sure really. I got too annoyed with the drone of every exhaust I tried so back to OEM. To be honest the standard system is decent just heavy. Don't forget how much this car already makes from 2.0l. Aftermarket dual exhausts are really about noise and looks. Singles give more top end power and weigh less. They tend to be loud though.

My T1R single 63mm was nice and light but very loud. Definitely helped at to end with a decat as I kept hitting the limiter when I first fitted it and also broke the hill challenge record near work :p

Not had mine on RR since toda but feels stronger on midrange, they are expensive. I paid £450 for a second hand one.

Today it was high rpm and clutch coming up slow enough not to ruin the diff but quick enough to break traction and spin the wheels (which is what I intended). Instead revs went to about 6k and the car moved forward without breaking traction and by the time I'd put it into 2nd it was back to normal. Des was behind me in his Evo 5 and said afterwards that it stunk of burnt clutch while this was going on.

Found this article:
http://www.s2ki.com/home/2012/03/03/demystifying-the-ap2-drivetrain/

And after reading that I think it's the CDV and the fact that I am not launching it correctly.

I'm assuming that the CDV action brought the clutch in slowly which would explain the spell.

How it should launch. Regarding clutches my car did 72in first 3 yr and I changed the clutch to OEM at 102k which is fine for NA, it's now at 162k and due another soon - I have a clutch and gearbox from a 2006 ready, gearbox is also noisy but still working 4 yrs later.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom