Type R and VTEC owners

How recently was your front end painted? Mine looks like it's been rallying on gravel courses all its life in comparison :(

Can't quite bring myself to get it done though, every one I've ever seen has went the same way in a matter of months after getting fresh paint

What colour is it?

Guy at work has a black FN2 and had his bonnet wrapped in black for that reason, you cant only tell close up and looks a lot better than a standard bonnet with stone chips but its modified and probably only gets away with it because of the whole look

How recently was your front end painted? Mine looks like it's been rallying on gravel courses all its life in comparison :(

Can't quite bring myself to get it done though, every one I've ever seen has went the same way in a matter of months after getting fresh paint

I've only painted the Calipers yesterday. Haven't painted anything else.

Car has only done 30k too so it doesn't get out much.

Most people are right with comments about EP3's flying up...

I wanted to spend some proper time scouring the market. So I've looked at the 5 biggest, most popular Type R (and general car sale) sources, nationwide and spent about 3 hours looking at LOADS of examples.

1) People want too much money for them, for what myself and Rich sold our cars for quite some time ago, you would struggle to get anything as nice, well looked after etc.

2) Premiers are either dog rough, naff cheapo tyres and sketchy maintenance and poor mods or bog standard and 6k up! Mad money (to me).

In that whole 3 hours... I've found one car which seems a really good motor, pending talking him down loads. 54 plate red one, not too sure about red but low miles (64k I think), he's the second owner, full HFSH, bog standard in and out, spotless inside, seemingly "immaculate" outside but will be talking to him more about that, 4 new Yoko's.. mid range really to be fair but better than most. Not much else to say as long as it's as clean as he says, red aint my first choice but we shall see if I can talk him to around £3900, low MOT, up for £4495. Would give him 4k with full ticket :)

redep3.jpg

Last edited:
This needs to be £1500 quid cheaper and I'd buy it tomorrow. Real tidy.

Not quite unmodified but still :)

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...llent-example--05-reg------------2005/2726663
That is very nice, very clean. Are these expected to go up in value, or are people just trying it on at the moment? I noticed that the TypeR's were quite a bit cheaper than this a few months ago when I was looking at 1.8's and Type S'.
Toyos! Cheap skate, avoid
I thought Toyo Proxes were pretty decent? I thought the cheap Toyos were awful, but the more pricey ones were generally accepted to be OK?

To be fair with the way EP3's get maintained these days, Toyo's are quite good if you can find them fitted to a car for sale! :D

Yeah the Cosmic Grey one is really nice, I suppose I fell for the looks because it is lowered. Closer looks at the pics show a smidge of rust on rear arches where the wheel close up can be seen. Nice motor though, but certainly not a 6 grand car.

I don't know if they should be going up in value or not, as you can get mint 07 plate FN2's for 6k easily enough now! EP3's were always pretty common but most really have been barried and had a hard life now. I aren't too keen on spunking 4k or more on a 10 year old car but if thats what they're worth... :)

With the red one I posted above his pictures aren't very flattering and his advert is minimal but suggestive of a great car. Hoping to talk to him properly tomorrow evening and hope the poor ad and pics hold people off it if it's a good one!

As much as I absolutely despise saying this,

If an FN2 isn't much more for a nice example then go looking for one.

At least go and try one out and see if it suits you.

The DC5 market looks to be the same as the EP3 - I sold my 'Teg almost 18months ago for £6500 and it was in an excellent condition. I was looking recently and for sale values appear to have increased!

They have gone up as these cars are all last of the line of high revving N/A performance cars by Honda, expect them to hold their values well!

I love the ep3's i still think they look good and still look good for the age of them, i only had a ep2 in cosmic grey but if i could afford it i would get a £6k low mileage premiere any day of the week and use it for my daily keeping my s2000 in the garage for the nicer days.

I really can see ep3's especially premiere holding their value extremely well if not slightly appreciating in years to come.

The red one I posted has sold. Claims for 5k?! lol, was up for 4500!

I've seen 2 more, opinions and what would you pay?

Car 1, FL milano red 60ish k miles.. looks good: click here I was thinking 4200?

Car 2, Pre-FL milano, 30 odd thousand miles, looks very clean... could poss wangle this for an offer of £3500? Fair? Too much? Stick to a facelift car? click here been messed with a little bit though :-/

Ta dudes.

Last edited:
I tend to get a feeler for the seller first, ask a few questions, thank them and note appreciation for honesty as I don't expect a perfect car... yadda yadda, see how straight they are and if they can be bothered to give me the info I need.

Then if they mention money/movement in passing I may go into it but otherwise I'd probably arrange a viewing and go in hard lol. But gotta be fair if it's a good car. No one wants to pay the price they see on the screen :)

But those figures are ideas I'd have in mind for the car, as to what I reckon it's worth dealing at. Opinions welcome of my expectations :) I'm very fussy but very tight!

I'm very fussy too but useless at haggling! I've never knocked a penny off any car I've bought. Gonna try with my next car though which might be another EP3 but they are holding their value a little too well. I miss vtec.

Everytime I look at one though I've think of all the things I did to my original one to get it how I wanted it. Clutch, new brakes, complete suspension refresh, new steering rack, front end respray, alloy refurb, new gear knob etc etc! Not sure I could be bothered with all that again!

Sounds a bit like me with my last one... cost a small fortune! Don't intend on repeating that but like you, I miss that vtec fun :)

I think the next one will just have a nice exhaust and just make sure mounts and bushes are all good, any replacements will be OEM, definitely not poly! Then just maintenance as necessary, prob loads of preventative maintenance as I am obsessed with that! I can't think of anything else I actually REALLY want so don't wanna spend more to not really be into what I buy. Playing it safe with an EP3 :)

The low mile pre facelift is tempting me if I can get a good deal... chuck that rubbish air filter in the bin and fit the standard one which is included, jobs a good 'un, the bay looks very clean really. I think £3500 is enough for an 11 year old car?

Back
Top Bottom