Type R and VTEC owners

Thought so, just my luck eh.

It quietens down once warm, but as the revs increase the sound does also. It sounds like a sewing machine, drives fine, no lack of power or anything, no smoke, oil is fine. Seems to be louder on the right side of the engine. I thought it may have been VC's after reading up.

Unlikely but I've heard exhaust manifolds that are blowing sound like that.

Doesn't sound like timing chain tensioner issues though

What oils in there? 7k on an oil and its golden? Sounds like a crap oil or they have just changed it. Clean oil is not a good thing. When you wash your hands you want soap to go dirty.

Last edited:
Does look great. Hopefully you get it fixed without spending too much.

How much did you pay for it?

Paid over the odds for it, near enough £4k. I found that it was for sale up north by a reputable dealer for around £3.5 but prices have gone up since then. It is a bit of a dog in the sense that I would have expected a sorted car for the money but there are some real dogs out there for more.

FSH 8 stamps in the book, 84k miles, just lacks receipts of any work carried out. Bodywork is brilliant same with the interior. It's just the engine which is questionable because of the noise.

Oil is golden brown/going onto black basically if you want me to be really specific Simon. I'll still say it's golden, but that's just me being a knob.

After 7k it should be dirty. The point I'm getting at is maybe they have done engine work requiring the oil to be dropped out do they put new stuff in...

I had a clunk on mine which drove me mad. I ended up changing the drop links, ball joints, arb bushes and track rod ends. It was fine after and cost peanuts to sort. Drop links might seem fine but it only takes a tiny bit of play for them to knock.

Have the tappets been done recently? I've heard K20's sound like that when they've been done wrong, or done on a warm engine. They need to be done when the engine is stone cold.

tom_nieto how are u driving ur S2k ?? I get 23-24mpgs from my teg with motorway and city driving :D Guess thats why stuff goes on it :P

It's just not built for inner city commuting! Usually get around 30. Needs a bloody good clean, and I can't wait to get the 17's back on it in the spring. With any luck will be going to Rockingham for a track day so will sort the brakes at the same time as changing over wheels.

As above.

Definitely not normal even if it is quieter in real life.

Tegiwa, Area Motorsport near me in Stoke will do valve clearances for £50. Worth a gamble, but you're a madman buying a car which sounds like that irrespective of condition.

But, if dealer, take it back and tell him to sort it or refund.

Back
Top Bottom