Type R and VTEC owners

If its defo from the air filter, then something has happened in the engine, you can get smoke if it is backfiring on intake valves or timing issue for example. An engine can still start with valves that are burnt, but on yours who knows the extent of the damage, if smoke has come out through air filter and engine isn't starting then it sounds pretty bad.

I would have liked to say its just starter or alternator, but if the AA guy couldn't get it started by putting it in gear and rolling it, then it sounds like a problem with the engine. Either way the dealer have botched something up here, which is why they've taken it into their technical team, dont let them fob you off.

Either the inlet valve is too tight such that its not closing properly when the cam ramps down letting air back into the intake. This would be quite mild i expect and start from the moment they start the engine.

Or an inlet valve collet was incorrectly aligned during adjustment, such thats its not seated properly then when the engine has gone through a few cycles its dropped the valve out of the valve stem and been collected by the piston below..... never to seal again and give a decent amount of air back into the intake :mad:

Are there any disadvantages or long term issues with not getting the VC's done? Couldn't care less about a tappy engine tbh.

As said by Muffin in the long run you are increasing wear on the valvetrain, you also gonna lose a bit of performance and have a rougher running engine, plus just because it sounds tappy it doesn't mean all your valves are loose, there actually might be some that are too tight, particularly on the exhaust side. There's a reason why VC is an important service item on an engine that is all about the valve timing!

VC's are an easy 1 hour DIY job, no excuses for overlooking it, look at the possible mess it has created with Vita's engine.

Did you just say the oil was black? If it's just had an oil change, the oil should be golden in colour and clear? Hell I've done 3000 miles in one of my Type R's after an oil change and it's still crystal clear.

I think that was probably just the old oil that dripped off from the oil filter change, a good meticulous mechanic would have cleaned the oil run!

Honda phoned to tell me that the timing chain has slipped a tooth. There also seems to be piston to plug contact. They're going to take the head off to see how much damage has occurred.

Who is paying for all of this ? You really want to get this all confirmed as a dealer rebuilding the engine is going to be very expensive, surely now the best way forward is to source a second hand engine and get this fitted ?

i would be looking for a refund on the car if i was you, i cant see them wanting to re-build the engine, and picking up a second hand engine and having that put in will surely hurt the value of the car as the serials will not match up? plus you will probably not know how the second hand engine has been treated during its life and could end up going again.

Not convinced with the reason the dealer gave, they are fobbing it off as the timing chain to wipe their hands of any fault. A simple slip of a tooth should not cause serious engine damage, in fact the engine will still run and car will drive as usual in most cases. A catastrophic failure of the timing chain would cause serious damage to engine.

How many miles has this engine done?

Back
Top Bottom