Type R and VTEC owners

What makes you think you can't buy this for £2.5k? Have you actually offered less than that or are you assuming? People constantly try stupid offers when you're selling a car - maybe your stupid offer will be a bit less daft then the rest
I know how hard it was for me to negotiatie the price down to £2.6k on grey ep2, but the sellers were dodgy and the whole thing just didn't feel right... so walked away.
3k for that ten year old car seems a lot, I'd rather buy a higher mileage one at a lower price. So long as its had oil changed and so on
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201502251233636 - This is the only other car withing 60 miles worth seeing, I could probably drop the price to £1900 or even £1800 as the car has been put up for sale around a month ago...

But yesterday I had a chat with my dad about what other alternatives to look out for, and we came to an conclusion that focus (1.6 petrol) might not only be easier to buy. But you also get more cars to choose from, so now I'm trying to decide whenever I should spend around 2k or spend upto 4k. :confused:
EP3 ten years ago was £17k with aircon, I guess that's inflation.

Running one of these should be cheap, running some of the cars mentioned above won't be.
The price nearly doubled :eek: How much was 8th gen civic?

That's interesting, is the new civic really that fast? :p

bledd. thanks for link still waiting for news if I'm having a refund or another one.

S2KIP im interested how it would go against turbocharged FN2 pushing 310. What time would that do i still think FN looks better inside out !!!

Gas-to-liquid isn't that new a technology, although this is a newer application of it. The chemistry behind it, at a very basic level, isn't wrong - there are less impurities in gas streams than oil streams. Looks interesting!

Food for thought.

If I change at 9k rpm, the next cog comes in at around 7k rpm. The same revs where the new Type R is changing to another cog.

Isnt a FK2 a 5 door gen 8?

The new Type R chassis code is FK2. Engine cose is K20C1.

gl9khgP.jpg

Last edited:
8th gen: FK2 is the 5dr 1.8. The FK3 the 5dr 2.2

Are you sure that pic is legit.

Not really sure what you mean about your point about revs as the gearing will reflect the difference torque/rpm profile of the two approachs.

Be interesting to see what a production version of the new Civic type R could do around the ring, not sure much can be claimed on the pre-production model, as it looks like a full cage is installed, which I would have thought would stiffen the car quite a bit

8th gen: FK2 is the 5dr 1.8. The FK3 the 5dr 2.2

Are you sure that pic is legit.

Not really sure what you mean about your point about revs as the gearing will reflect the difference torque/rpm profile of the two approachs.

It's a pic of the plate on the white one at Geneva.

Point is sporty Honda's have always been about high revs.

Rocker cover painted, TGM suggested not to use crinkle as it'll just flake again so went with red. It's a bit shinier than expected! But it's better than what was on there and I've never been one for having a tarted up engine bay.

EVepSm3.jpg

Oohr0Zt.jpg

Going to getting on to Hendy to order some replacement bolts, nuts & plastic thingies that are around the engine bay to get rid of the little bits of rust and where things are starting to look dated.

While the cover was off, cams and stuff:

RhVgiqk.jpg

XkNv9SB.jpg

Also had this delivered:

iXrn7Gv.jpg

Part of a new ICE setup, as I'm fed up with the pony noise the standard speakers produce, it's booked in tomorrow so expect a quick run down after that.

Gas-to-liquid isn't that new a technology, although this is a newer application of it. The chemistry behind it, at a very basic level, isn't wrong - there are less impurities in gas streams than oil streams. Looks interesting!

It does look interesting, but It can't be all the fancy surely? You can get 5 Litres of 5w-40 Helix Ultra for £26 from Euro Car Parts :o

Simon, sorry to pester you with Oil questions. But what are your thoughts on the Pure Plus technology which Shell have developed recently?

Turning Gas into Oil

They just make oil molecules from Gas rather than crude. Gas doesnt have heavy, waxy, molecules so has some benefits in cold performance versus a Group III but its no cleaner or better than PAO (or clearer). It does help make 0W products.

Shell own a huge gas field our in Qatar/Iran which is 'stranded' - their $20b Pearl refinary turns this gas into something easier to move around the world - The main output is actually diesel.

In terms of engine oil -The additives are still far more critical than the base oil. Same as why whiskey, Gin and vodka are all different - but they all contain water.

hmm not keen on the rocker cover. I can't imagine wrinkle paint not lasting at least 5 years, in which time the car will be long gone presumably.

Can't you wet sand it maybe to take off the shine?

I bought wrinkle paint (and etcher) to do myself in the oven (not got around to it yet) but I have seen good results from people who have done it before.

They just make oil molecules from Gas rather than crude. Gas doesnt have heavy, waxy, molecules so has some benefits in cold performance versus a Group III but its no cleaner or better than PAO (or clearer). It does help make 0W products.

Shell own a huge gas field our in Qatar/Iran which is 'stranded' - their $20b Pearl refinary turns this gas into something easier to move around the world - The main output is actually diesel.

In terms of engine oil -The additives are still far more critical than the base oil. Same as why whiskey, Gin and vodka are all different - but they all contain water.

Interesting stuff, thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom