Type R and VTEC owners

Man of Honour
OP
Just home. Car has some minor issues but nothing of great concern. Didn't crash, had fun. Here's a quick vid before I sort the rest out. Speedo isn't working because I had to disable the VSS in KManager (one of the minor issues).

Drive past at Adenau.

https://instagram.com/p/BSinwVaARBt/

Feel free to follow me on IG.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Nice one Chris. Remember when you had your Red EP3 on DC5 wheels way back when. Wish I had your disposible income for a similar toy.

Meanwhile in poverty land, swapped the front shocks on my Type-S over the weekend. Whoever decided to put the strut towers under the windscreen and give acces no wider than my hand is a complete tool.

Man of Honour
OP
Few more vids and pics:

Bit of a slow start as Kevin and I were waiting on our mate in the Spyder.

On the GP circuit, it's whacky races on there! Not sure what was up with my hand positioning.

Slow lap as it was very bouncy and I had no confidence in the car.

Would have been better if I knew how to adjust the B16's properly. Lefty tighty, righty loosey, did not know till it was too late. No wonder my car had a lot of front end roll and felt bouncy on the 'Ring!

Few pics from Spa.

Nice one Chris. Remember when you had your Red EP3 on DC5 wheels way back when. Wish I had your disposible income for a similar toy.

Meanwhile in poverty land, swapped the front shocks on my Type-S over the weekend. Whoever decided to put the strut towers under the windscreen and give acces no wider than my hand is a complete tool.

It was a black DC5 with EP3 wheels! Also had a red EP3 but sold it for that black DC5. Cheers, I'm sure my mortgage wishes I didn't spend so much on cars!

Soldato
Currently considering buying an EP3 Civic Type R, I've driven one and really enjoyed pushing it - the vtec kicking in is a fun change of pace from the lazy V6 in my ST24. However I'm wondering whether owning one I'm likely to end up finding it a frustration...

Are they enjoyable / comfortable enough to drive on normal roads at normal speeds when you aren't racing towards the rev limiter? I'm accepting that it's undoubtedly going to a more raw drive than the Mondeo and much quick A-B, just want to get an idea of whether they're only a great car when in Vtec! :)

Man of Honour
OP
What sort of mileage? I wouldn't want to be doing 400 miles a week in one for example, but they're perfectly fine for the occasional cruise.

Soldato
Really quite low now, pretty much a weekend toy really so on paper it's going to be fine. But I'm just so indecisive, feel like I'm subconsciously looking for excuses to not buy one! I think I'm just too damn attached to my ST24 despite it falling apart, it's so easy and quiet to drive when pottering about yet makes a great noise as well as being practical...

Gonna go read some reviews of people using them as daily drivers even though I've already said it's not really relevant for me.... :/

Man of Honour
OP
Then I'd just buy one and enjoy something that won't need repairing daily. :p

Try and get an FN2 though if you can, nearly as fun, much better interior and less likely to be in crap state. I also think in the future their value will hold better than EP3's which are already turning into the new VTS.

Soldato
I'm sure once I've got it I'll love it. Can always buy another big lazy V6 later in life - or step up to a V8!

The FN2s look nice, but too big a step up in price for me. Since I'm so non-commital I'm leaning towards buying a pre facelift for a low amount of cash (sub 3k), if it turns out I really like it maybe I'll look at something newer later. A month or so back I'd been looking at 5-6k cars and in the end with the mileage I'm doing right now it just seemed to be a waste of cash for something that's going to sit on the drive all the time!

Caporegime
Took the s2000 from work today. Been sat there 2 months with a stuck rear calliper so will free that up tomorrow.

Sure it's no M3 but it has that feel like an old friend that does whatever you tell it :D

Associate
Since I'm so non-commital I'm leaning towards buying a pre facelift for a low amount of cash (sub 3k)
Get a facelift if you can, they made some pretty good additions in the facelift. i used to own a EP3 CTR 3 years ago and I bought another a few ago months ago despite having an Evo 8 and a MR2 Roadster already. This time I got a Premier but they're right at the top end of the prices.

Soldato
Get a facelift if you can, they made some pretty good additions in the facelift
I'd like a facelift as I prefer the looks, but going to buy based on price vs condition on either. The main differences between the 2 aren't *that* significant from the looks of things, just nice to haves I'd say.

Off to look at a pre facelift this morning, no mods and looks to be in good nick from the advert. Fingers crossed it's a good one :)

Soldato
Test drove the Civic I'd been looking at yesterday, owner didn't want me driving it quick but said he'd demo it for me on some dual carriage way. Not convinced vtec was kicking in at all, no noticeable change of engine note :/
Ah well, back to the drawing board. Spotted a facelift at a garage relatively local that's a bit more cash than I want to spend but is a nice colour, has MOT, has some warranty and might get a trade in so may be worth a punt!

Back
Top Bottom