Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
Currently considering buying an EP3 Civic Type R, I've driven one and really enjoyed pushing it - the vtec kicking in is a fun change of pace from the lazy V6 in my ST24. However I'm wondering whether owning one I'm likely to end up finding it a frustration...

Are they enjoyable / comfortable enough to drive on normal roads at normal speeds when you aren't racing towards the rev limiter? I'm accepting that it's undoubtedly going to a more raw drive than the Mondeo and much quick A-B, just want to get an idea of whether they're only a great car when in Vtec! :)

Any specific requirements i.e. 5 doors?

If not could look at something such as the Cooper S R53

Soldato
From a practicality perspective the civic is perfect, don't need anything huge, just enough to squeeze my bike in really! Got no interest in the mini coopers regardless of spec, nasty looking things!

Now I've driven a few Civics I'm happy with them for day to day driving i reckon. Quite comfy, quick steering and plenty of poke. Finding the gearbox and clutch heavy each time though, guessing that's normal and I'm just too used to a really loose shift in my Mondeo!

Soldato
Drove a mechanically solid one with a few mods at lunchtime, proper asbo exhaust on it though. Sounded epic when pushing to the redline but I think the novelty would wear off day to day. By far the best one I've driven, now I know how the gearbox is meant to feel - I had been thinking the others had felt off...
http://www.longcrossgarage.co.uk/car-sales/2005-05-honda-civic-type-r-steel-grey
Still think it's a bit pricy compared to some others though. How would others here expect mods to affect the price of a car?

Associate
Drove a mechanically solid one with a few mods at lunchtime, proper asbo exhaust on it though. Sounded epic when pushing to the redline but I think the novelty would wear off day to day. By far the best one I've driven, now I know how the gearbox is meant to feel - I had been thinking the others had felt off...
http://www.longcrossgarage.co.uk/car-sales/2005-05-honda-civic-type-r-steel-grey
Still think it's a bit pricy compared to some others though. How would others here expect mods to affect the price of a car?

What are the mods? You could potentially sell them off to recoup some of the extra cost back (e.g. sell the aftermarket exhaust and buy a stock exhaust)

Is it just me though or is the right hand side skirt a different colour vs the car?

Man of Honour
OP
Is it just me though or is the right hand side skirt a different colour vs the car?
There was something bugging me about the car and I couldn't put my finger on it, the right hand side decal on the skirt is out of position. could have course be some buffoon like me fitting a new one in the wrong place.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Looks right to me. The skirts always stick out in the light as the protrude a lot. It's just that side of the car is in direct sunlight vs the other.

Soldato
What are the mods? You could potentially sell them off to recoup some of the extra cost back (e.g. sell the aftermarket exhaust and buy a stock exhaust)

It had an intake kit (was an AEM one, although not sure on the exact model) then some noisy but nice sounding exhaust - no idea what the latter was though. Think the rest was standard.

Re: the skirt, didn't notice anything wrong with it in person so may just be the light. There was some damage to front bumper and the alloys though, starting to get the impression that the standard alloys are made of cheese!

Soldato
Had a feeling they weren't anything special. I'm guessing it's only serious changes like Forced Induction that are really going to push the prices. As confirmation the one I drove today is overpriced, just called about http://www.revolutioncarsltd.co.uk/used-cars/pontyclun-south-wales-honda-civic-type-r-1314/ this one only to find it's just been sold for 3250 despite looking in better condition. Guess I can just make a really cheeky offer on the one I drove today...

Soldato
They're nice motors as a daily as long as you don't lower them. If you intend on leaving the suspension alone they're a brill A-B car on the road considering the current state of them nationwide! A fruity exhaust is never a bad thing but on the two I've had, I never felt like adding an induction kit would be a good idea, I used to feel they sounded a bit TOO raw with an induction kit fitted and not many add a worthy gain anyway.

My last EP3 was a 2004 I bought in Aug last year, paid £2250... was fine until I started messing :D But it had a new clutch not long before and was far lighter in use than my first EP3 which was on the original, maybe that is linked to how heavy the clutch feels on any you drive.

Soldato
That's a thought, I think the first one I drove might have had a replacement non oem clutch... but the feel of the gearbox was definitely the main thing. The first 2 didn't have a solid slot into gear feel to them, was never sure whether they were in gear unless I let the clutch out (insert image of me revving the engine whilst freewheeling at 60mph here)
Found another around Worcester online earlier that looked a comparable spec/price to the one I drove earlier (and the one I missed out on), will enquire about that tomorrow. Seems I'm having to stray further and further from Bristol to find anything that looks good now!

Problem I have is my current MOT runs out on Friday - it's never gonna pass it so will scrap it on Friday if I've not traded it in. May end up just getting a stop gap car at this rate...

Soldato
Well if it helps mate I wrote a buying guide some years ago - http://illusional.co.uk/stuff/civicguide.doc

They're getting on now though and things like ball joints/drop links/front bushes tend to be at an age where they need changing... it tends to mount up and heads up cheap ball joints are rubbish on EP3's, to get something good you're nearly @ 200 quid for the parts.

Honda parts are a world apart from Ford price wise. I spent a small fortune on the EP3 I got cheap trying to perfect it, then sold it losing about 2500 quid in 4 months :D But I still love them. But to bring them up to scratch will cost a lot more than you anticipate. Unless you're not as fussy as me :) They're at an age where the timing chain is worth doing also, loads of reports these days of stretched chains. Good service history and stuff like gearbox oil, valve clearances done on schedule and finding a non ragged one and you're half way there.

PS: you don't get much of a vtec kick on a bog standard car. Any kind of breathing mod seems to accentuate the effect somewhat :)

Soldato
Thanks for the reply. Will have a read of that guide and keep it in mind along with all the other stuff I've read. Definitely useful to know about the vtec kick, maybe the one I was in the other week was working ok but just barely noticeable in comparison to 2x modded cars.

Found another one that looks good so going to see it tonight, providing the dealer is being honest I might have a new ride by the end of the day!

Soldato
My choice will always be the EP3 It's always been my favourite Civic, I've never been fond of the FN2 shape BUT I'd have love to have a Championship White Edition FN2 I don't know why but it just looks a much better car.

I remember a few years ago you could get a EP3 Premier Edition with less than 60k on the clock for around the £5k mark I'm looking on PH and they're ranging between £7k-8.5k, that's insane.

Back
Top Bottom