Type R and VTEC owners

Associate
The dipstick on my FN2 is the most vague of any car I've ever owned.
I believe the manual states to make sure the car has been run for 15 minutes at least and then stood for 5 before checking. I make sure I do this whenever I fill up with petrol just to keep on top of it.

Associate
The dipstick on my FN2 is the most vague of any car I've ever owned.
I believe the manual states to make sure the car has been run for 15 minutes at least and then stood for 5 before checking. I make sure I do this whenever I fill up with petrol just to keep on top of it.
Try a 350z dipstick:D

Associate
Just put a deposit down on a 2017 66 Plate FK2.....pick up on Friday. To say I am excited would be an understatement!

Have had two TypeR's previously. First was a facelift EP3 bought new on 2004 (hence the username......have got the same username on the TypeR forum). Sold the EP3 in 2012 and bought an FN2 that I kept for 2 years until kids came along.

Amazing how far the TypeR has progressed.....have only test driven the FK2 but I can tell instantly how much more brutal it is, can't wait to pick up and properly open her up!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Does anyone have any advice on tackling drop-links on a MK8 Civic? I read somewhere a torque wrench is required..

Didn't use one on mine, there's only the links on the front and you can't use a ratchet becasue you use an allen key to hold the bolt/ball joint thread while using a spanner on the nut.

I had to cut the old ones off which was a challenge due to access, however beyond that, just nip up without over tightening. They come with a nyloc washer-nut anyway.

To avoid having to cut them, soak them in something for a week before hand and clean up the area with a wirebrush and you might get lucky. The allen key hole gets full of crap and corroded so the correct allen key may not fit.

Associate
has anyone installed a double din in the mk8 Civic?

The lack of bluetooth streaming is killing me, im looking at getting a cheap Android head unit

I did on my type-r. The best upgrade for the car as it makes it so much more modern.

Its not too bad a job if you feel pretty competent pulling out interior trim. A set of trim pullers is an absolute must though. There are a few guides on youtube, but basically you have to remove the entire arm rest and centre console, drop the trim under the steering wheel and pop the trim off the top of the dash. This will let you get to the screws on the top and bottom of the original head unit which need to come out.

I made use of having everything apart to feed the USB ports into the arm rest and put the GPS antenna under the top of the dash. I also had to cut away a bit of trim on the bottom left corner of the mounting point to get my new head unit to fit, but the material was soft so a pair of snips did the job fine.

Make sure you get the Connects2 kit so that you get your steering controls and upper clock display work.

The worst bit was getting all the new wiring to fit in the limited space down the back of the new head unit!

Soldato
I did on my type-r. The best upgrade for the car as it makes it so much more modern.

Its not too bad a job if you feel pretty competent pulling out interior trim. A set of trim pullers is an absolute must though. There are a few guides on youtube, but basically you have to remove the entire arm rest and centre console, drop the trim under the steering wheel and pop the trim off the top of the dash. This will let you get to the screws on the top and bottom of the original head unit which need to come out.

I made use of having everything apart to feed the USB ports into the arm rest and put the GPS antenna under the top of the dash. I also had to cut away a bit of trim on the bottom left corner of the mounting point to get my new head unit to fit, but the material was soft so a pair of snips did the job fine.

Make sure you get the Connects2 kit so that you get your steering controls and upper clock display work.

The worst bit was getting all the new wiring to fit in the limited space down the back of the new head unit!
sounds good, what head unit did you get ? Just seen the facia kit plus connects2 is a little pricey

Associate
I bought a pumpkin unit off Amazon, I cant remember which one it is off the top of my head but it was about £200, I decided to cap my budget at £300 and the facia and Connects2 were about £100 if I remember.
Most of the £200 android head units seem alright; I run up a hotspot on phone when I want to use google maps to navigate, the bluetooth calling and audio works well and being able to playback music from a USB stick is great. I guess you can run up any android apps you might want as well, but I've not seen the need. Mine has support for reversing cameras but I didn't bother fitting one.
Whilst the fitting kit seems a little expensive it dose work very well, you can use the steering controls and you still retain your date/time and AC display. The display is controlled by the OEM headunit so an adaptor is necessary unless you want it to be blank.

Soldato
Just put a deposit down on a 2017 66 Plate FK2.....pick up on Friday. To say I am excited would be an understatement!

Have had two TypeR's previously. First was a facelift EP3 bought new on 2004 (hence the username......have got the same username on the TypeR forum). Sold the EP3 in 2012 and bought an FN2 that I kept for 2 years until kids came along.

Amazing how far the TypeR has progressed.....have only test driven the FK2 but I can tell instantly how much more brutal it is, can't wait to pick up and properly open her up!

Congrats, it's a really fun car IMO. Don't miss my NA Type R one bit.

Associate

The weather has won - have put back picking up car until Sunday!

On another note......just reached 100 posts.....only taken 9 years, need to stop reading and post more!

Associate
Q about oil, I had the low oil level flash up on the way to work this morning. Suspect I may have an oil leak as it's been 6 months since the last service and about 9k driven. But that's another matter. On the last service Castrol EDGE 0W-30 was used, however the nearest garage to me at work only stocks 5w-30 (not sure of brand). The nearest Halfords is 14 miles away which stocks the castrol. So my question is this, can you mix oils? Or am I better off chancing it to Halfords on my way back from work?

The nearest garage that sells oil is 5.1 miles away. :(

Not checked the dipstick yet as the engine's still hot, will do shortly.

Back
Top Bottom