Type R and VTEC owners

bJN

bJN

Soldato
You can mix oils, but it's always best to stick with what's already in there. At the end of the day, some oil is better than no oil though!

Associate
Ah right, what car is it?

56 Civic 1.8 ES, just hit 73k. FSH.

Just checked the dipstick now, looks like the oil is indeed low, first dip there was oil mid-way up the crosshatched section. Second dip the was just a smidge on the bottom.

Oil really shouldn't be going from full to low in 9k miles/ 6 months though, should it? Might see if I have a spare bedsheet tonight to park over.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
That was true for the K20, can use 1l of oil every 1k miles and Honda deemed that acceptable.

For the R18 I'm not sure, but mine uses a bit of oil. It gets revved to redline a lot so for me that could be why :D. The distance between max and min on a dipstick at least with most Hondas is usually 1l, so 1l in 9k miles is pretty average and I'd say mine uses about that (I do about 13k a year and usually need to top-up a few months before my my annual service).

Soldato
So, had the unenjoyable experience of hearing horrible noises followed by a bang under the bonnet of my EP3 Type-R yesterday...

Recently I've heard the occasional whining sound from the engine but couldn't put a finger on what it was, quick check from a mechanic couldn't see anything either (noise wasn't occurring at the time he checked), but I'd been planning on getting it into a garage for a more thorough check this week. Driving yesterday the whine was present, before suddenly getting a lot more rough sounding as I pulled away from some lights, then howling followed by a loud bang. Bang aside the engine carried on running and car felt fine - so coasted to the layby a hundred metres up the road. Looking under the bonnet I see that the idler pulley has sheered off the mount, presumably due to it's bearings siezing, and the aux belt is sitting on the engine cover on the floor. Should have put it into the garage for a closer check sooner :(

Looking into it I need to buy a replacement idler pulley and the bracket it sits on (as that looks completely threaded), get that fitted and get a belt fitted again - I guess I'd be stupid to not get a new one even. The question I've got is, can this be fitted without taking the engine out? Looks like it would be really tight to reach and certainly beyond my abilities - but don't know whether a mechanic would have any tricks to doing this in the available space. How much is repair likely to cost me here, and if it is an engine out job is there anything else I should consider getting done at the same time to make the most of easier access?

Soldato
my partners dad has just bought a 10 plate 1.8 petrol Civic, seems nice but the engine management light came on while he collected it, the dealer has plugged it in and said the car is reporting a blocked cat, he's advised giving it a good blast on the motorway should fix it, I would have left it with the dealer to sort personally but he's taken the car. Is this a common issue with Civics? Just looking to give him as much advice as I can. :)

IC3

IC3

Soldato
my partners dad has just bought a 10 plate 1.8 petrol Civic, seems nice but the engine management light came on while he collected it, the dealer has plugged it in and said the car is reporting a blocked cat, he's advised giving it a good blast on the motorway should fix it, I would have left it with the dealer to sort personally but he's taken the car. Is this a common issue with Civics? Just looking to give him as much advice as I can. :)
Drive it like you stole it for 10-15min, that'll should get rid of the engine light. :D

IC3

IC3

Soldato
It might be P0171, me and other civic owners I know get that from time to time. When did the engine light come on? Whilst stationary or driving?

Soldato
It might be P0171, me and other civic owners I know get that from time to time. When did the engine light come on? Whilst stationary or driving?

I think when he picked the car up when he went to drive away the light popped on.

From what I'm hearing he returned the car and they've replaced a sensor now so hopefully all good. :)

Soldato
gone backwards might be buying a supercharged S2000 for a bit of a crack.

I really enjoyed the looks of these cars, plus their something hugely fun about 9000 rpm and a little less torque than the rest

Back
Top Bottom