Type R and VTEC owners

Associate
It's the same story with the 9th generation. When the final product was shown last year, everyone slated it but after seeing it in person, it was a different story and it's the same with this upcoming 10th generation. After seeing the above two, it has grown on my massively too and I bet in person it would look pretty damn good :)

Soldato
I've read some horror stories in the past from American forums where people have powdercoated the WHOLE of the cam cover. Fitted it back on and then the heat obviously eats down the paint on the inside and it clogs up the engine :D

Even worse is having the cam cover sand blasted to remove the old paint and then not cleaning it out thoroughly so it dumps a load of blast media into the engine.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Back in a Honda after the Slowvo S40 died on me the Friday before last... So last Friday I picked up an 06 Civic ES 1.8 with only 46k on it. One lady owner from new and it's fairly immaculate! Quite happy with it to be honest, not exactly a Type R, but something sensible for a year or so isn't a bad thing. Shame it's the weird Champagne Silver colour though, otherwise it's a cracking little car!

Soldato
I do hope EP3's go up in price. I've spent loads on my cheapie (£2250) considering it's low cost and it owes me around £4600 inc the car purchase of course in 3 months :D

I intend on keeping it until Sept next year so hopefully I can claw some back, would like to keep it as a toy but by then I really won't have the time or inclination to use a hot hatch as intended so thinking of getting a nice daily and a little Suzuki Jimny for winter and offroading fun.

Don't think there is anything left to do to mine mechanically now, from an aux belt through to timing chain with a load of new bushes, ball joints and suspension components inbetween, everything has been sorted - all fluids, filters etc changed. Just some bodywork to tidy after winter and jobs a good 'un.

It has now been lowered too :) Does feel great, just not the best weather for it now for a while!

civlow.jpg

Soldato
I've read some horror stories in the past from American forums where people have powdercoated the WHOLE of the cam cover. Fitted it back on and then the heat obviously eats down the paint on the inside and it clogs up the engine :D

who the hell would be stupid enough to paint the inside of a Cam cover :eek::eek:

Soldato
FN2's are very good value now. Good alignment, eibach springs and you get far better handling and increased ride comfort. Plus far more toys :) But EP3's are a good laugh, I won't deny they're getting old hat now though as they're so sparse inside! Mine's not got the best bodywork but it runs and drives brill now, still one of the best cars I've owned for that hence buying another as a cheapie (well, initially :D)

Soldato
It's the same story with the 9th generation. When the final product was shown last year, everyone slated it but after seeing it in person, it was a different story and it's the same with this upcoming 10th generation. After seeing the above two, it has grown on my massively too and I bet in person it would look pretty damn good :)

it does look better from different angles and it will deffo look better in real life too.........i suppose it depends on colour

the 2016 type R definitely looks ok when you see it, the advantage of owning a Honda is reliability

Soldato
Heating problem

Hi all,

Has anyone had a problem in an EP3 Type R where the heating doesn't work? I know the element still gets hot cause you can feel warmth, but the fans don't spin to push it round the car.

It's been like that a couple of months, but worked for one day, bizarrely on my Birthday lol, it's not worked at all since then and I don't really know what to do.

I went into Honda and they told me its the resistor (I think that's what they said) that would need replacing and would be £130 for the part and £200 fitted. One chap said it's 100% that and the other said if it was that it would work when it's on full whack and not on any lower speeds.

Mine doesn't work at all and I'm a complete noob with cars so I don't know what to do.

Any ideas/suggestions would be cool cause it's getting cold lol

Cheers,

G

Man of Honour
OP
Not a huge update but this will probably be it for this year. The car went to Performance Autoworks the other week to have some work done. I booked it in for the following:

• Oil change. Yes, it was done at TGM before the track day, but I figured I'd get it done anyway considering how long the car had been sat previously.
  • Investigate steering wheel wobble.
  • Remove steering rack, fit SHG slider and flush the fluid. It was low and I needed to top it up, but I only had Halfords fluid so I wanted Honda back in.
  • Check/adjust geo - I was a bit exuberant with the kerbs at Donington.
  • Overall health check of underneath, bushes etc.
  • Fix lights as they were bog eyed.
  • Fix EML - I read the code at home so already knew it was the O2 sensor.
  • Fit KTuned shifter cables.

First off, the lights. I drove to Donington in the dark and it was comedy, one of the headlights was pointed upwards I think and the other was pretty much a candle. It was the first time I'd driven it in the dark so I didn't have much of a choice but to continue. Luckily there was enough for me to be able to see, and for the most part the roads between mine and the hotel near the circuit are well lit. I didn't fancy taking the bumper off myself in the cold so I had Rich look at it.

20161123_112357_resized.jpg

20161123_121047_resized.jpg

20161123_121153_resized.jpg

I'll just quote Rich's email for an explanation.

Headlamps (pics attached) – I’ve sorted these as best as possible, it has non OEM HID bulbs and ballasts “installed” – I say installed but quite frankly the bulbs are too small and were just poking through the mounting hole with nothing to hold them in place. I have fabricated some adapters, bonded the bulb bases to these and then installed them using the OEM retaining clips. This is about as good as it can be, the light pattern is much better now but the lens could do with a good polish to improve things further.

I can't really add to that. I may get the headlights done next year, but having driven it in the dark the other evening, I can say that they are substantially improved! Still, not as good as I remember the OEM lights being. Sadly they are expensive and few and far between, so I think I'll leave it after a polish has been done.

Onto the wheel wobble. I'm not sure if I'd mentioned, but I was getting steering wheel wobble when I picked it up from TGM. They'd balanced the wheels so I figured a weight had come off. I took it to my local and trusted tyre place, they did it again but the problem moved to a different speed. I'd asked Rich to look into it confident it couldn't possibly be the balancing. He checked everything over and couldn't find anything. The last thing on the list was driveshafts, these can only be visually inspected so far and at over a grand for new items for Honda I decided to sleep on it. Rich suggested to get the wheels balanced again but use a stud pattern mount instead of the centre bore. So after I picked the car up I drove back to the tyre place for them to do just that. They said they always use a stud pattern mount anyway, but they also said they were quite a way out. I explained I had it done by them before so they let me on my way without charging me. I'm glad to report that the wobble has gone.

Rich said the car is in good health. It's been well serviced in its life although no paperwork exists sadly due to 'cash in hand' servicing. Doesn't bother me for the price. He did notice some corrosion though. Again I'll quote his email:

Found some corrosion and paint/underseal stripped on o/s chassis leg under brake reservoir – looks like someone had a major brake fluid spill at some point. I have cleaned off the worst of flaking rust/paint/underseal and have coated with a waxoil underseal to prevent it getting worse – I’ll forward some pics in another email

Before:

20161117_120533_resized.jpg

20161117_120553_resized.jpg

After:

20161117_141441_resized.jpg

20161117_141450_resized.jpg

I don't think there'll be many updates over the winter, I'm even tempted to SORN the car till the end of March and tuck it away in the garage after a clean.

As for plans I've been looking into the following modifications:
​ACT Stage 1 organic clutch kit.
Spoon 5.3 Final drive.
FD2/EP3 (same) 0.738 6th gear.
Kaaz plated diff.
Clockwise Motion gated baffle.

Nice cheap shopping list! I'm also looking at a polybush and a quieter intake, possibly a Mugen.

Massive thanks to Rich at Performance Autoworks for yet again outstanding work.

Last edited:

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Nice to see the care being put into it Dooksy!

Are you planning on keeping it mainly as a fun toy, or for daily usage? Judging by the thought of garaging it for winter I'd guess the former? If so, any specific reason you'd want the longer 6th gear? I suppose with the Spoon FD in place it gives a bit more headroom at the top end...

Baffle is definitely worth it for some serious track abuse too. Plans look good! Any plans for further drivetrain gains? :)

Soldato
Right guys,

Here's how my engine bay is looking at the moment. The rocker cover lets it down massively so I've decided to get it refurbished. Any suggestions what colour I should go for? I was thinking either a metallic black or bmw graphite grey to match the charger?

IGE1pvO.jpg
H1nYxYs.jpg
ZcPgRAj.jpg

For an FN2 bay that looks tasty... Sad to be getting rid of my EP3 soon (if anyone buys it during this period towards xmas) but I'll probably be in the new shape coming up soon. :D

Associate
For an FN2 bay that looks tasty... Sad to be getting rid of my EP3 soon (if anyone buys it during this period towards xmas) but I'll probably be in the new shape coming up soon. :D

Thanks mate, Wont look like that much longer as I'm putting the car back to standard end of this week. Have taken a deposit on the super charger and a few other bits.

Bought myself a Mugen 200 which I'll be turbo'ing next month. Owned two super charged FN2's now, had an itch so time for a new project :D

Man of Honour
OP
Nice to see the care being put into it Dooksy!

Are you planning on keeping it mainly as a fun toy, or for daily usage? Judging by the thought of garaging it for winter I'd guess the former? If so, any specific reason you'd want the longer 6th gear? I suppose with the Spoon FD in place it gives a bit more headroom at the top end...

Baffle is definitely worth it for some serious track abuse too. Plans look good! Any plans for further drivetrain gains? :)

Just a track toy with occasional weekend use. Fingers crossed if I get the new job I'll be walking to work or on the bike as it's only a couple of miles away.

6th gear is for motorways, you hardly every hit 6th on track so it's nice to cut the revs down a bit on longer journeys to save a bit of fuel and hearing.

I think once the Kaaz diff is in that'll be for the drivetrain.

Back
Top Bottom