Ubuntu 9.04 Released

Soldato
I had a few issues with Totem playing DVDs as well but that was in an older version so thought they'd fix the playback issues by now. I always used Xine for my DVDs in Ubuntu (with libdvdcss2) after that. There's always VLC as well.

Associate
With Linux there is (in this current climate we shall say) no need to run anything like that - there just isn't a great deal of vectors to attack.

Especially with Ubuntu - all software comes from Ubuntu maintained servers (unless you compile your own stuff :p ) and Firefox is damn secure :)

I have another question though. In Ubuntu does it have a firewall working by default? By that I just mean it'll block all remote connections unless you have an application using a port. Kinda like Windows Firewall but without it asking you if you want to allow incoming connections.

VLC = Awesome :D

Soldato
Rhys said:
If I were to use Windows I would use Anti-Virus + Malwarebytes and still be worried about getting unwanted rubbish on my pc.

With ubuntu I have no such software installed. Should I be worried?
No.

Fillado said:
I have another question though. In Ubuntu does it have a firewall working by default? By that I just mean it'll block all remote connections unless you have an application using a port. Kinda like Windows Firewall but without it asking you if you want to allow incoming connections.
All ports by default are open but nothing is listening on said ports.
If you are behind a router it's unlikely you will need to configure a software firewall.
If you do feel the need, then install 'gufw' which is the UI for the built in ufw firewall service.

Soldato

If you want stealth, and you don't want / need a GUI front-end for iptables, a simple script does the job:

#!/bin/bash

sudo iptables -P INPUT DROP # set default INPUT policy
sudo iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT # set default OUTPUT policy
sudo iptables -P FORWARD DROP # set default FORWARD policy

sudo iptables -F # flush all rules
sudo iptables -X # delete any user defined chains

sudo iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT # accept incoming loopback traffic
sudo iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

# when default OUTPUT policy is DROP, we selectively allow outbound traffic here

#sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -d 127.0.0.1 -j ACCEPT # allow loopback
#sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -d 123.456.789.0 -j ACCEPT # allow primary DNS
#sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -d 123.456.789.1 -j ACCEPT # allow secondary DNS

sudo iptables -nvL

Associate
All ports by default are open but nothing is listening on said ports.
If you are behind a router it's unlikely you will need to configure a software firewall.
If you do feel the need, then install 'gufw' which is the UI for the built in ufw firewall service.

So all ports are by default advertising themselves willy-nilly? Or does this not matter if nothing listens on them?

It's not so much of an issue for me, but I was just wondering about netbooks and the like where a software firewall does matter.

Soldato
So all ports are by default advertising themselves willy-nilly? Or does this not matter if nothing listens on them?

They're not advertising. If you do a scan, the port will show as present, but closed.

Nothing listening = nothing to attack.

Soldato
Ooh, SMplayer seems to be working nicely so far. Thanks a lot :D

Just out of interest, on another note, to update specific software do I just need to install the latest software using "sudo apt-get install xxx", or is there a way to update over the old software? Will apt-get install update it, or will it just install a second, more recent, instance of it on my system?

Soldato
If you installed an app using apt-get or the package manager gui (synaptic) then any updates will appear in the Update Manager.
Or you can just run Synaptic and check out what's new that way.

Apps installed using .deb packages will NOT be checked for updates.

Therefore it's better to hunt down a trustworthy repository for apps you need.
Most of them are on https://launchpad.net/ these days.

Soldato
hmmm just downloaded this after my love affair with MINT

MINT was using ASLA with my sound blaster audigy 4, sound working

Now none of the options within the sound preferences will give me a playback sound, rendering me stuck

Help?:D

Soldato
In the stupid new mixer in 9.04 enable all the available channels and outputs.
Then put the sliders to max.

Also check in the the sound prefs panel (the one where you select the sound system)
System>Preferences>Sound. Try setting them all the Alsa and checking the Master Mixer is using the main Alsa mixer too.

There's no magic cure. You just have to work out how to make sure you are running the correct mixer and all the sliders are maxxed out.

My audigy cards all worked fine in Ubuntu 9.04.
I had the same problem as you when I used Xubuntu 9 though, but it was easily fixed using the methods above.

Soldato
Yeah that is also a common issue with some of the models. Usually the ones that don't support the external brick/panel.
Toggle the digital switch off/on with some music playing.

Back
Top Bottom