UEFA Champions League/Europa League 16/17/18 April *** Spoilers ***

Soldato
Wouldn't matter if the ball did deviate or whether the ball directly went in off his arm. It's only handball if it's deliberate which that wasn't under any interpretation of the rule. He's not moved his arm to the ball nor has he put his arm in an unnatural position to gain an advantage.

Huzzah!

Caporegime
I don't think he is commenting that it is a handball,just that it hit his arm, which it did

That's what I thought the rule was. The ball hit his arm (which was tight to his body) but didn't deviate in direction until it rebounded off his hip

At the end he literally did say it was a handball, only idiot to think so. The real kicker is he's one of the ones in the past few weeks who said the opposite, that those penalties given for the ball hitting an arm when it was sticking way out from the body weren't handballs, that everyone saying the opposite weren't players and just didn't understand. That players all knew those weren't handballs and refs were fools. Then tonight with a upper arm tucked right in and a forearm across his body, meaning if he had no right arm it would have hit his hip/stomach anyway, that he calls a handball. Guy is a complete and utter moron and completely biased.

The rules are the rules, the argument that "a player knows better" is from the basis that a player wants to get away with everything he can and wants the rules to work for him. As a pundit he should know that, the rules are the rules, players who hate the rules are not the best judges of rules. he's taken completely opposing and idiotic views on both that show a complete lack of understanding of the rules.

Llorente's goal was never in a million years a handball. However, bringing Llorente on almost cost them the game. He was absolutely abysmal, didn't run all game, zero effort in the press, didn't even make the effort to run a little faster to stay up with the few counter attacks. Sanchez did more in like 4 minutes than Llorente did. Spurs' bench was weak but Sanchez instead of Llorente was a no brainer, would have helped dominate in midfield, a million times stronger defensively, free up Alli to continue attacking with Son.

Eriksen was woeful again, constantly gave the ball away cheaply including almost setting up the goal that defeated them but for Silva sticking his leg out.

Soldato
My brother and me happen to be in Barcelona on the 30th, in time for the semi final. I looked on stubhub and cheapest tickets are 380euros + each. I am considering it as it's once a lifetime kinda visit. What other sites should I check for tickets?

Soldato
At the end he literally did say it was a handball, only idiot to think so. The real kicker is he's one of the ones in the past few weeks who said the opposite, that those penalties given for the ball hitting an arm when it was sticking way out from the body weren't handballs, that everyone saying the opposite weren't players and just didn't understand. That players all knew those weren't handballs and refs were fools. Then tonight with a upper arm tucked right in and a forearm across his body, meaning if he had no right arm it would have hit his hip/stomach anyway, that he calls a handball. Guy is a complete and utter moron and completely biased.

The rules are the rules, the argument that "a player knows better" is from the basis that a player wants to get away with everything he can and wants the rules to work for him. As a pundit he should know that, the rules are the rules, players who hate the rules are not the best judges of rules. he's taken completely opposing and idiotic views on both that show a complete lack of understanding of the rules.

Llorente's goal was never in a million years a handball. However, bringing Llorente on almost cost them the game. He was absolutely abysmal, didn't run all game, zero effort in the press, didn't even make the effort to run a little faster to stay up with the few counter attacks. Sanchez did more in like 4 minutes than Llorente did. Spurs' bench was weak but Sanchez instead of Llorente was a no brainer, would have helped dominate in midfield, a million times stronger defensively, free up Alli to continue attacking with Son.

Eriksen was woeful again, constantly gave the ball away cheaply including almost setting up the goal that defeated them but for Silva sticking his leg out.
Agree with all of that (I was quoting Rio before he went full cray-cray)

The lack of depth in the squad combined with injuries means that players are shattered and there is also perverse lack of competition. Bizarrely, Llorente is getting the job done - his performance is terrible but he has a knack of getting a goal or assist .

That game has cost us a lot. We are down to Ali/Wanyama/Skipp as our available deeper midfielders. Our attack will be Llorente, Moura and Eriksen and our bench will be defenders and U21 for the first leg against Ajax

Soldato
Yeah think it would crush a less experienced team but Pep is good and they’re used to getting dumped out of Europe anyway, could tear Spurs apart
They are going to be hungry for it.

Busy 14 days for spurs not much time to rest before the big day against Ajax now, having let others real us in a bit we don't have that nice cushion you would like to guarantee you CL football next season.

Soldato
I don't understand why the interpretation of the forthcoming handball rule would have cancelled Llorente's goal.

The new rule talks to scoring a goal using your arm/hand - this didn't happen, he scored with his hip

Then it goes on to say that you can't score a goal after controlling a ball with your hand/arm (intended or not) - I don't think he controlled the ball at all. The ball grazed his arm but at no point did Llorente have any control over that ball!

I completely see that no goal can be scored when the last touch was off a hand/arm. I can also see that where a ball hits and arm and bounces perfectly for a player to smash in, that needs to be disallowed.

It seems to accept that it isn't a problem if there is contact with the arm/hand but that contact had no material impact on plaiy ie control is not achieved .

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't understand why the interpretation of the forthcoming handball rule would have cancelled Llorente's goal.

The new rule talks to scoring a goal using your arm/hand - this didn't happen, he scored with his hip

Then it goes on to say that you can't score a goal after controlling a ball with your hand/arm (intended or not) - I don't think he controlled the ball at all. The ball grazed his arm but at no point did Llorente have any control over that ball!

I completely see that no goal can be scored when the last touch was off a hand/arm. I can also see that where a ball hits and arm and bounces perfectly for a player to smash in, that needs to be disallowed.

It seems to accept that it isn't a problem if there is contact with the arm/hand but that contact had no material impact on plaiy ie control is not achieved .

I think the best way to look at it is if the player had no arms. If Llorente had no arms the goal would have still happened. Hence why it stood. If Danny Rose had no arms in the previous game the shot would have gone towards goal. Hence the penalty.

Soldato
I think the best way to look at it is if the player had no arms. If Llorente had no arms the goal would have still happened. Hence why it stood. If Danny Rose had no arms in the previous game the shot would have gone towards goal. Hence the penalty.
Theyve specifically avoided drafting a rule that says it is a foul if the ball hits a player's hand/arm at any point.

Even with the new rule they have done the same - they have avoided saying that if the ball hits an attacker's hand in, say, the 30 second period before a goal is scored, it is a foul and the goal is ruled out. Therefore the intent of the legislation cannot be to rule out all goals where a ball hits a hand/arm.

Either the rule makers are really really really ignorant and don't understand basic rules of drafting legislation, or (and i think this is more likely), they are trying to allow for possibilities where goals are scored where there is incidental contact with the arm during build up.

The first rule is quite simple - if it goes in directly off your arm or hand, it is disallowed. It is the next bit, this concept of "control and possession", that is being overly simplified; a fundamental concept of being said to control or own something is the ability to influence it. For Llorente, at no point did he have control over the ball or possession of it as a result of it hitting his hand.

"What we are looking at particularly in attacking situations is where the player gets a clear unfair advantage by gaining possession or control of the ball, as a result of it making contact with their hand or arm." Where was the clear unfair advantage and when did Llorente have possession or control that ball?

Soldato
Could honestly see Ajax winning this now. Spurs and Liverpool both look beatable and Barca arguably looked better than they are against a crap United side. They're playing some beautiful football too.

Soldato
Liverpool just won a quarter final 6-1 and they're beatable? I mean everyone's beatable but we are in serious form and are far superior to Ajax.

Back
Top Bottom