UEFA Euro 2024 Final Spain v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 14th July 2024]

Is it really Gareth 's fault or perhaps England just aren't as good at keeping possession, regardless of tactics?

Yup element of players fault without a doubt but Southgate was clueless. The balance was all wrong, the game plan confusing (see from interviews) and everyone but Southgate could see when things wasn't working.

I do feel for him at the same time; he's a decent guy who steadied the ship but he should have handled over the mantle after the WC failure.

Spain for the World Cup? Team is pretty young. Not sure the SA teams are as strong as they used to be.
They should definitely be in the running. Young players with a few more years experience, no players really 'aging out# except backups like Jesus Navas probably. If they find another striker and a more solid partner for Laporte they'd be favourites.

Klopp for England....
God no.

It's going to take whoever replaces him a long time to undo the mental damage Southgate's done, some of the players will need lengthy counselling sessions before they can step on grass again, others might never kick a ball forwards ever again.

Someone like Klopp needs time with his players to get them playing the way he wants, time you don't get as an international manager.

Is it really Gareth 's fault or perhaps England just aren't as good at keeping possession, regardless of tactics?
It looks to me like the players are drilled for 90% of the training sessions in how to play a low block, once they get hold of the ball they then look lost positionally.

Even when pickford has the ball he just kicks it back to opposition so England can resume the low block.

My conclusions are:

- Fair result. Spain are clearly the best team and played much better than England.
- Kane needs to move on from international football. He's extraordinarily lethargic and contributed almost nothing in the 60 minutes he was on the pitch, nor prior to this match in the tournament.
- Rice is MASSIVELY overrated. I would replace him with Mainoo as first choice DCM.
- Time for Southgate to move upstairs and bring Eddie Howe in.

Eddie Howe isn't leaving club management yet.

Honestly... it should have been Mourinho.. it's his time for international management.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom