UEFA Euro 2024 Final Spain v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 14th July 2024]

So this is pretty much Harry Kane highlights for the whole of the tournament, hopefully gets the boot along with Southgate.
So much hate for Kane, and he was bad. But I don't think we are using him properly. The way England play under Southgate does not suit him.

He needs to be surrounded by fast players who make forward runs. He scored the most goals in Europe last year, in any league, and champs league, for bayern.

He played alongside several forwards with blistering pace. England have no players that run in behind, so Kane is mostly ineffective.

Last edited:
Sake, Bellingham, Foden all do that. The only thing we're missing is a left sided wide player really but we'd have to drop someone.
Really? They mostly all drop deep to collect the ball primarily, as shown in this euros. Saka is the fastest, but he only runs in behind once or twice per game, Foden, again prefers the ball into feet and turns and runs at defenders. Bellingham is slow as hell so is far from ideal to run beyond Kane. Bellingham is good at late runs into the box on the end of cutbacks and crosses.

Last edited:
Really? They mostly all drop deep to collect the ball primarily, as shown in this euros. Saka is the fastest, but he only runs in behind once or twice per game, Foden, again prefers the ball into feet and turns and runs at defenders. Bellingham is slow as hell.
Foden's shot off the line against Netherlands came from a run in behind for example. Obviously we're not doing it much because Southgate is quite pragmatic but it's not a personnel problem. Kane's problems are bigger than just that though. His pressing and movement is really poor to non-existent.

Foden's shot off the line against Netherlands came from a run in behind for example. Obviously we're not doing it much because Southgate is quite pragmatic but it's not a personnel problem. Kane's problems are bigger than just that though. His pressing and movement is really poor to non-existent.
Can't disagree with the latter. He sat out the last few weeks of the season with Bayern due to injury. Prior to that he was on track to break Lewandowski's record for most goals ever in a German season (41). Bayern play to his strengths, the opposite of England and Southgate pass backwards/sideways ball/defend the penalty box.

Last edited:
I can honestly see GS staying on (didn't the FA ask him to extend earlier in the year, to the world cup?).

I don't think he should but where does England realistically go from Southgate?

I think Southgate will walk, I think he was going to walk whatever happened this tournament. He's been there for a long time and he looks pretty done with it.
He's had his time, he's won nothing. And whilst technically, he's been the best we've had, we will never win anything with his style of football. It simply does not work against any team that presses high and restricts your space.

As shown by both Spain today (a top team) and Italy (a poor team) three years ago in the last Euro's final.

Last edited:
I was sort of hoping Southgate had played a blinder and made Spain believe they were playing a slow, dull, negative team and they were going to switch it on in this game. I was wrong.

He's had his time, he's won nothing. And whilst technically, he's been the best we've had, we will never win anything with his style of football. It simply does not work against any team that presses high and restricts your space.

As shown by both Spain today (a top team) and Italy (a poor team) four years ago in the last Euro's final.
3 years ago

He has to step down this is as good as it gets for him , only way is down now unless he somehow gets England playing good football which is unlikely and can't keep scamming through tournaments

Southgate's people management is great. But his decision making and game management is abysmal. He's loyal to players to a fault and his substitutions are generally way too late and always reactionary. He's had ridiculously lucky draws 3 tournaments in a row. Aside from Germany in Euro 2020, whenever we've played a decent team we've lost. His record against the top teams is terrible. I'd go so far as to say most top managers would have won at least one trophy with the same circumstances.

Kane doesn't suit the system, but Southgate insists on playing him. Either the system needs to be changed, or Kane needs to be dropped.

Southgate's record is entirely undeserved. A combination of lucky draws and loads of games against Estonia, Lithuania etc. Parallels with Kane's England goalscoring record!

As long as he's replaced with a progressive and positive manager, I'd drop Southgate in a heartbeat. Id have dropped him after Euro 2020 to be honest! Nothing has changed since then. He's made the same mistakes in consecutive finals and he's unwilling or unable to learn and adapt.

Back
Top Bottom