UEFA Euro 2024 Final Spain v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 14th July 2024]

Associate
I've no idea how we even made the final to be honest. Won 1 group game ,nearly went out to Slovakia, needed pens to beat the Swiss and a last minute goal to beat a very average Dutch side.

A good number of the players that played the most minutes just aren't good enough, better players sat on the bench most tournament and dreadful tactics.

We didn't make the final by being good, it was a combo of massive luck and teams worse than us.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Southgate's people management is great. But his decision making and game management is abysmal. He's loyal to players to a fault and his substitutions are generally way too late and always reactionary. He's had ridiculously lucky draws 3 tournaments in a row. Aside from Germany in Euro 2020, whenever we've played a decent team we've lost. His record against the top teams is terrible. I'd go so far as to say most top managers would have won at least one trophy with the same circumstances.

Kane doesn't suit the system, but Southgate insists on playing him. Either the system needs to be changed, or Kane needs to be dropped.

Southgate's record is entirely undeserved. A combination of lucky draws and loads of games against Estonia, Lithuania etc. Parallels with Kane's England goalscoring record!

As long as he's replaced with a progressive and positive manager, I'd drop Southgate in a heartbeat. Id have dropped him after Euro 2020 to be honest! Nothing has changed since then. He's made the same mistakes in consecutive finals and he's unwilling or unable to learn and adapt.
Preach.

Soldato
Please don’t post like that 5 minutes later, gonna give people a heart attack.
Apologies, I intended to type ‘was’ as I knew I was late to the party, so to speak. Only realised my blunder too late.

Unlucky England. But there’s a team there capable of winning trophies, with the right manager.

Associate
I've no idea how we even made the final to be honest. Won 1 group game ,nearly went out to Slovakia, needed pens to beat the Swiss and a last minute goal to beat a very average Dutch side.

A good number of the players that played the most minutes just aren't good enough, better players sat on the bench most tournament and dreadful tactics.

We didn't make the final by being good, it was a combo of massive luck and teams worse than us.

Agree with this.

Toney cane on too late, Watkins fell off a cliff shortly after coming on.

I think tonights result reflects the reality of how we played.

That Spanish team though, wow their something else.

Soldato

I think that’s a spot on assessment.

Soldato
I hope you’re right, but what else will he do? I can imagine him staying until he’s pushed.
Go home put his feet up and enjoy his money for a bit? Plenty of club jobs for him if he wants it as well or a director of football role.

Will be interesting to see how people look back on his tenure in 5/6 years time. It’s not an easy job and despite what people think we don’t have the best team in the world.

Soldato
The first 5 seconds of the game set the tone. England kick off, ball goes back to Pickford who wellies it up the pitch and gives it straight to the opposition. Didn't really get an awful lot better than that. When Spain had the ball their backline was on the halfway line. When England had it, we were on the 18 yard line.
Negative, unimaginative and depressing but not exactly surprising.

Associate
The best team won tonight that's for sure. England have the raw quality to beat (or squeak past) lesser teams but against the top sides we play as if we're relegation battlers hoping to nick a goal on the counter...whilst playing a formation not set up for that.

I think Southgate has done a great job building a squad but we're tactically just not good enough. It has to be time to give someone else a chance now and I suspect Southgate was planning to step down win or lose tonight anyway. Hopefully the FA can find a place for him in the system where he can contribute without directly being in charge of the team because he's certainly done well overall. It wasn't long ago I didn't even feel confident of us getting out of group stages. It wasn't that long ago we didn't qualify for euro 2008!

pre

pre

Associate
England kick off, ball goes back to Pickford who wellies it up the pitch and gives it straight to the opposition.
I think the commentators even commentated on it that John Stones was trying to get him to give him the ball middle of game instead of the beef wellington.

I did contrast with the Spanish keeper who literally had two players to pass to inside their box almost every goal kick. IMHO if you can't play it out of your own half in a dead ball situation how you going to get the quality or tempo in the last third.

Soldato
The best team won tonight that's for sure. England have the raw quality to beat (or squeak past) lesser teams but against the top sides we play as if we're relegation battlers hoping to nick a goal on the counter...whilst playing a formation not set up for that.

I think Southgate has done a great job building a squad but we're tactically just not good enough. It has to be time to give someone else a chance now and I suspect Southgate was planning to step down win or lose tonight anyway. Hopefully the FA can find a place for him in the system where he can contribute without directly being in charge of the team because he's certainly done well overall. It wasn't long ago I didn't even feel confident of us getting out of group stages. It wasn't that long ago we didn't qualify for euro 2008!
Counter attack football without the attack part.

Last edited:
Soldato
Spain were just too classy. England don't play as a fully formed team and used too many players out of their natural positions the whole tournament. The only time England looked like a team in every match was when Kane was withdrawn. This is mostly on Southgate I think.

England were defensively naive and vacant in the midfield. The two Spanish goals came from HUGE amounts of unmarked space on the left wing. You can't just let amazing players like Williams and Cucurella run riot down the wings like that.

Credit to the England players for showing guts and spirit coming from behind three matches in a row. But they never looked like going ahead against Spain.

Eddie Howe for next England manager?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well that was ****....back from the pub. Should have stayed at home. I will never learn when it comes to supporting England.

Kane is beyond useless unless it's a tap in or a peno zero threat in normal play to world class defenders.

England needs to drop the FA interference and pick a manager to manage a team with players in positions they are used to playing. Instead of this out of positions crap safegate has done. I would sooner be out after the group stages playing attacking creative football than the utter defenseive dross of the safegate years.

Soldato
I think the commentators even commentated on it that John Stones was trying to get him to give him the ball middle of game instead of the beef wellington.

I did contrast with the Spanish keeper who literally had two players to pass to inside their box almost every goal kick. IMHO if you can't play it out of your own half in a dead ball situation how you going to get the quality or tempo in the last third.

Noticed that in games Straight from kick off back to the keeper just to hoof it hoping for flick on from the striker it reminds me of teams that are fighting for relegation in the premier league because they don't have the quality

That must come from Southgate or coaching staff

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Go home put his feet up and enjoy his money for a bit? Plenty of club jobs for him if he wants it as well or a director of football role.

Will be interesting to see how people look back on his tenure in 5/6 years time. It’s not an easy job and despite what people think we don’t have the best team in the world.

It's a easy job. Pick the best players for the positions they are used to playing. Watch some videos on the opponents and set up accordingly. Fart around on the training pitch doing set pieces and wot not.... Profit.

Back
Top Bottom