UEFA Euro 2024 Final Spain v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 14th July 2024]

Soldato
Kane should make this opportunity to retire from international football.

He was an an embarrassment.

He would be England’s biggest goal scorer for many years as the only other player in the England squad with goals in the double digits is Saka

Soldato
That Spanish manager doesn't seem to have done much in managing but Spain has style of play that is expected regardless of the manager, high pressing being on the front foot having possession, don't think Spain will accept anyone that suddenly plays conservative, why can't England be the same ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Kane looked tired during the warmup before the game. Why on earth he started is anyones guess.

Southgate got very lucky this tournament. He's done well, but I think we need someone else if we are to actually win something.

The gameplan was to constantly pass back to Pickford? Very slow and clumsy passing. Despite getting to the final, we've been quite poor.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That Spanish manager doesn't seem to have done much in managing but Spain has style of play that is expected regardless of the manager, high pressing being on the front foot having possession, don't think Spain will accept anyone that suddenly plays conservative, why can't England be the same ?
The current Spain team plays almost nothing like previous Spain teams

Soldato
Kane should make this opportunity to retire from international football.

He was an an embarrassment.

He would be England’s biggest goal scorer for many years as the only other player in the England squad with goals in the double digits is Saka

You mean record/greatest scorer, biggest is such a weird way of putting it.

Sir Bobby was top for 50 years or whatever it was. Likely it won’t be beaten for another 50 years

Soldato
Kane looked tired during the warmup before the game. Why on earth he started is anyones guess.

Southgate got very lucky this tournament. He's done well, but I think we need someone else if we are to actually win something.

The gameplan was to constantly pass back to Pickford? Very slow and clumsy passing. Despite getting to the final, we've been quite poor.
Agreed, total waste of some really good young players,

Soldato
Just seen David James on the news, he said England were excellent in the first half and nullified the threat. He also said that the early goal in the second half spoiled the plan, which suggests we were trying to play the same way until they scored, or if it was still 0-0 make substitutions late in the game to nick a win. He said Kane had performed as well as any centre forward in the competition, and he wants Southgate to stay on as he's done an excellent job. It looks like this negative attitude is ingrained, as I'm assuming he has inside information, and if that's the case we're never going to win a major tournament.

fez

fez

Caporegime
What is that though? If he drops Bellingham or Foden and starts Palmer then people will be asking why the La Liga and PL best players aren't playing. In the end he is going to have to drop someone. It's great to have depth on the bench to bring on and Palmer has offered that just as Olmo was doing earlier in the tournament for Spain.

It doesn't matter what people are asking if you are delivering on the pitch. Thats the thing, people always say "well you've got to play X, Y and Z" or people will complain. Yes, they will but what do you think they will do if you play X, Y and Z and you get rubbish performances?

You can play Foden and Bellingham, you probably just can't play them at the same time. You have subs. Run one into the ground and sub on the other to give you something different. Rotate them so you have 2 top class 10s for the tournament who are fit and better rested.

As to Palmer giving us what Olmo was earlier in the tournament, I agree, its good to have options to change a game. The issue is, Southgate always needs to change the game. That smacks of crap tactics and selection from the start and just overpowering opposition with your bench when they are tired. That isn't the mark of a good manager. Throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks when you get desperate smacks of a poor manager.

fez

fez

Caporegime

Spain have a way of playing and moving around the pitch that has been ingrained from a very young age. The style of play varies but the fundamentals of pass and move, quick one touch passing doesn't and that gives you quite a lot of leeway for how you actually deploy that on the pitch. To give credit to Spain, they were not in a good place a few years ago I seem to remember and their press and fans were not kind to them.

I don't think he has done well, thats the issue. I don't think you can look back over his entire term and point at any period where he has had us playing good football and getting good results against good teams. Almost every time he has come up against good teams he has been found out. Far too often against alright teams he has very very nearly been found out. The man is just ridiculously jammy. Historically easy paths to finals. Scraping past teams after he has made a hash out of the game but one of our players digs him out.

The current Spain team plays almost nothing like previous Spain teams

The fundamentals are there but they are much more dynamic these days. Much better to watch IMO.

Caporegime
Southgate win percentage against top tier teams is just frankly shocking.

He was the perfect person to take over in 2018 to steady the ship but that is all it should have been.

We need a coach who wants to play football. Potter would be my choice or Eddie Howe.

Reactions: fez
Mobster
Soldato
I don’t buy this idea England played well in the first half. In every way it was a step down on the previous game. They were INCREDIBLY lucky to not go 1-0 down there and as soon as the second half started they did.

The equaliser was good and there was a real opportunity there to go 2-1 up as Spain were on the ropes for a minute or two. But then Gareth had the team sit back again.

I can’t understand why - and I am not a football fan in the way I am sure many of you are - England seem to decide to just kick the ball around instead of PRESSING the other team. They are perfectly capable of doing it, so why do they not?

fez

fez

Caporegime
I don’t buy this idea England played well in the first half. In every way it was a step down on the previous game. They were INCREDIBLY lucky to not go 1-0 down there and as soon as the second half started they did.

I think the issue is that people don't realise why England play well or poorly. Spain are a country mile better than the Dutch at the moment. The Dutch are not a very good side but they will always come to play which gave England plenty of space to work in (well, until they changed it and Southgate didn't really know what to do). The other "weaker" sides we played were all sitting deep and making our slow, narrow and ponderous football completely ineffective. The idea we played well against the Dutch is more a reflection on the Dutch than ourselves honestly.

As per usual, Southgate doesn't dictate any games. He is reactive (slowly usually) and always safe.

Soldato
played crap football and didnt win anything, so much the ones defending southgate doesnt matter how we play as long as we win
reminded me of watching stoke, bolton, burnley fighting relegation

Last edited:
Associate
So negative, with no idea how to get past/through the lines.

You can even see the frustration from Pickford, who started to refuse to play it short, as he knew we'd have the ball for 5 mins, and still be within 15 yards of our own goal. i.e. slowly slowly pass it sideways..

I give up on England for the moment, we've had the same manager for the last four tournaments, with some of the best players we've ever had and you could argue that we've done well, however as has already been stated we've done ok playing such negative football that i'd rather us have a go for it and go out in the group stage than the total frustration of "When we don't NEED to we don't try to score".. style football that we've been playing for years now..

Back
Top Bottom