UEFA Euro 2024 Final Spain v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 14th July 2024]

I just heard about his resignation on LBC radio. Be interesting to see who they get next. As I'm not very knowledgeable about football and football management and strategies in general, can anybody tell me why the likes of past managers such as Terry Venables, Brian Robson, Fabio, Ericsson, who as far as I can tell were respected managers, didn't get England to win anything major either? Did they also use wrong tactics, or did they use the correct tactics but the players they picked weren't as good as the current crop, and if they had this crop of players they would have got them over the line? Apologies if this is an ignorant question!

Last edited:
Is Carsley another yes man that the FA promote from within?

The FA themselves are to blame for Southgate lasting so long in the first place, they even wanted him to stay!

Lee carsley was offered rep of ireland managers job very recently and turned it down

He knew gareth would be going imo

Klopp is fantasy land

I honestly thought people were being sarcastic when I first saw his name mentioned in the Euros threads over the last few weeks.

Completely delusional to think the FA can appoint him. It'll be someone English without a doubt.

Last edited:
I’d quite like Pochettino, I think he’d keep the positive mentality but try and play on the front foot. His nationality might work against him a bit :p

Then again, I’d rather have him as Man Utd manager if ETH fails.

Last edited:
Great game, brilliant atmosphere, really enjoyed it. Walked back in the front door at 10pm last night!

I personally think a change of management isn't the way forward, and that we've had a pool of fantastic players for the last 20 years, but can't get over the final hurdle with whoever is in charge, and this is the closest that we've got.

Gareth has had a huge amount of criticism his way for someone who's taken us to 2 finals in 2 tournaments (Can't believe people are putting it down to luck), and I don't think people realise how good he was.

However, people are stubborn, and even when later on down the line, we're no closer to a trophy despite Graham Potter or Eddie Howe or "Big Sam" taking charge, I don't think that most will admit that Gareth was a great coach that changed the face of a frankly abysmally organised England side in to something people can get behind and support as a real prospect for tournament success.

Looking forward to the world cup anyway :)

Hope he goes tries the Premiere league to see how good he really is :p probably go upstairs in the FA for cosy job

People need to be realistic with who the next manager will be, even heard someone on about Pep! International management is for mediocre/failed club managers or old guys who want a last easy job.

Potter's a realistic bet, Klopp really really isn't!!

Gareth has had a huge amount of criticism his way for someone who's taken us to 2 finals in 2 tournaments (Can't believe people are putting it down to luck), and I don't think people realise how good he was.
Are you being serious? We played the worst football out of any team in the tournament, created hardly any chances and if it wasn’t for the raw luck of dodgy penalty decisions and a couple of wonder goals, which had about a 10% chance of going in, we’d have been out a lot earlier.

He stabilised the team at a time when it needed it, but he is a terrible manager for that group of players. I’ll resist the urge to say generally, but I’ve no idea how you can say what you just did with a straight face.

Pretty sad, It was time I guess but thanks for the memories Gareth, took us on some great runs, 2 EC finals and a WC semi final, I remember watching the 2018 Colombia game in NYC and the penalty shootout win.

Last edited:
Are you being serious? We played the worst football out of any team in the tournament, created hardly any chances and if it wasn’t for the raw luck of dodgy penalty decisions and a couple of wonder goals, which had about a 10% chance of going in, we’d have been out a lot earlier.

He stabilised the team at a time when it needed it, but he is a terrible manager for that group of players. I’ll resist the urge to say generally, but I’ve no idea how you can say what you just did with a straight face.
We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom