UEFA Euro 2024 Final Spain v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 14th July 2024]

Soldato
Relying on last minute overhead kicks, questionable penalty decisions, and the odd flash of individual brilliance is what else?
That's relying on your pool of talented players that people are saying has nothing to do with Southgate.

Playing 90 minutes on the world stage against the best team in the world and losing 2-1 after getting to the final twice in a row - Yep. Luck.

Soldato
Hopefully they'll go get a big name manager now whose not scared to bench the star players when they are underperforming.

Soldato
Relying on last minute overhead kicks, questionable penalty decisions, and the odd flash of individual brilliance is what else?
The funny thing is people then point to the likes of Bobby Robson and El Tel as shinning examples while they conveniently forget platts last minute moment of genius or Spains off side goals that weren’t etc etc most teams that are successful at these tournaments have luck on their side.

Soldato
I asked a question earlier which hasn't been answered but I'll put it a different way and not as a question but just as an opinion. All the apparent gods of football management that preceded Southgate didn't win England a Euro or World Cup either apart from Alf Ramsey, so he hasn't done any worse and in many ways it looks like he's done better.

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
The funny thing is people then point to the likes of Bobby Robson and El Tel as shinning examples while they conveniently forget platts last minute moment of genius or Spains off side goals that weren’t etc etc most teams that are successful at these tournaments have luck on their side.

You must conclude though that to go out in the same way in three competitions, i.e. facing decent teams, does not show Gareth's really been able to actually use any of the players he has.

Soldato
At least we played decent football under those managers that you could actually enjoy watching.

Mobster
Soldato
I asked a question earlier which hasn't been answered but I'll put it a different way. All the apparent gods of football management that preceded Southgate didn't win England a Euro or World Cup either, so he hasn't done any worse and in many ways it looks like he's done better.

Has he done better? Yes.

Has he got incredibly lucky. Yes.

You and I both know if we'd had the draw Spain had in this Euros we'd have struggled to make it out of the groups.

Soldato
That's relying on your pool of talented players that people are saying has nothing to do with Southgate.

Playing 90 minutes on the world stage against the best team in the world and losing 2-1 after getting to the final twice in a row - Yep. Luck.

and he also struggled to get past lesser teams ? because he only seems to play one way which is actually more suited for better teams , set deep and on the break

Soldato
Hopefully they'll go get a big name manager now whose not scared to bench the star players when they are underperforming.
Looking at the odds, only Potter, Carsley and Howe are in the running so hardly big names.

I did see Pochetino in there and think maybe he might actually be a good choice if he could find his Southampton/Totenham form again. As a saints fan he had us playing great football and genuinely improved a lot of the squad, I’m not convinced that version of him still exists though!

Soldato
I just hope that 8 years under Southgate hasn't mentally scared the players and they can now adapt to a more fluent attack minded style.

Soldato
and he also struggled to get past lesser teams ? because he only seems to play one way which is actually more suited for better teams , set deep and on the break
I don't think we give the players enough credit. Getting through due to flashes of brilliance is exactly that. Struggling to get past lesser teams is then suddenly down to Southgate. Surely the amazing pool of talent we have can use 'luck' and 'flashes of brilliance' to just glide past these teams?
The other view of it is that those teams are very well organised to sit behind the ball and make life difficult for other sides. More power to them, that's how less talented teams get further in tournaments. There's a balance to be struck of good management / coaching, and individual talent, and I believe the reason we've done so well 2 tournaments running (remember, we couldn't even get past a penalty shootout for about 15 years, now it seems routine) is a combination of the two.

Caporegime
I think history will be relatively kind to Southgate, in time the drab performances, the favourable tournament draws, etc. will be forgotten and his legacy will be 2 Euro finals and a World Cup semi final - that's not going to be easy to match and you can well imagine the pundits in the early 2030s will be fondly reminiscing about our ability to get to these positions if we're getting dumped out at group stages or R16 stage again.

Soldato
I don't think we give the players enough credit. Getting through due to flashes of brilliance is exactly that. Struggling to get past lesser teams is then suddenly down to Southgate. Surely the amazing pool of talent we have can use 'luck' and 'flashes of brilliance' to just glide past these teams?
The other view of it is that those teams are very well organised to sit behind the ball and make life difficult for other sides. More power to them, that's how less talented teams get further in tournaments. There's a balance to be struck of good management / coaching, and individual talent, and I believe the reason we've done so well 2 tournaments running (remember, we couldn't even get past a penalty shootout for about 15 years, now it seems routine) is a combination of the two.
We wouldn't have even got out of Spains group, we have had exceptional luck with fixtures which has papered over the cracks.

Caporegime
I think history will be relatively kind to Southgate, in time the drab performances, the favourable tournament draws, etc. will be forgotten and his legacy will be 2 Euro finals and a World Cup semi final - that's not going to be easy to match and you can well imagine the pundits in the early 2030s will be fondly reminiscing about our ability to get to these positions if we're getting dumped out at group stages or R16 stage again.

That's pretty much how I see it. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we reach two finals in the next decade. Although, of course, that will just be down to not having the same luck of the draw.

Back
Top Bottom