UEFA Euro 2024 Final Spain v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 14th July 2024]

Soldato
I don't think we give the players enough credit. Getting through due to flashes of brilliance is exactly that. Struggling to get past lesser teams is then suddenly down to Southgate. Surely the amazing pool of talent we have can use 'luck' and 'flashes of brilliance' to just glide past these teams?
The other view of it is that those teams are very well organised to sit behind the ball and make life difficult for other sides. More power to them, that's how less talented teams get further in tournaments. There's a balance to be struck of good management / coaching, and individual talent, and I believe the reason we've done so well 2 tournaments running (remember, we couldn't even get past a penalty shootout for about 15 years, now it seems routine) is a combination of the two.

sit behind the ball and make life difficult for other sides. More power to them, that's how less talented teams get further in tournaments , we doing that against lesser teams you say southgate is a great coach surely we should be beating these comfortably and not hoping for moments

being better at penalties I think thats more to do with the players who are the main penalty takers for club so have the experience think in the past they didnt tend to be the main penalty takers for club

Last edited:
Soldato
Nobody who watched the Spain game can tell me that England were anywhere close to winning it. They were completely out-classed from the first minute.
I think you must have been watching a different game, Spain were clearly the better side but then we knew that before kick off. England dug in kept the game close and ultimately fell short against a very good side as did France and Germany.

Soldato
It was discussed to death at the time.

You can go through the history books and see countless examples of teams that went on to win the tournament and had similar moments.

I think England had them moments more than usual throughout this tournament, spain had its moment vs Germany thats about it but thats a top team

Last edited:
Soldato
I think you must have been watching a different game, Spain were clearly the better side but then we knew that before kick off. England dug in kept the game close and ultimately fell short against a very good side as did France and Germany.

the score might say it was close, France and Germany actually gave them a better game

Caporegime
History will 100% look back on Southgate in a positive light.

Chances are we will not get to 2 finals and a semi finals in a row. Then we will think we were amazing.

If we do manage to win a trophy under the next manager, then Southgate will get some credit in putting down some foundation to set the team off in the right direction, at least mentally in getting through stages in cup competitions.

Back
Top Bottom