UEFA Euro 2024 Final Spain v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 14th July 2024]

@Shamikebab well at least the the Spain manager has a track record of winning things. Wouldn't be the end of the world if carsley ends up with it. At least he knows the setup and has coached the likes of Palmer and Gordon.
The Spain manager clearly isn’t a big name in Spain let alone in Europe his CV looks much more like Potters than Peps! Potter has plenty of success in the Swedish league if any record of success will do!

Nice chap, says all the right things, small club manager = perfect for the FA.

Probably getting fitted for a selection of waistcoats right about now.
What evidence do we have that Potter is a ‘yes man’ what ever that means? I get the impression from some posters that they would have had more time for Southgate if he spouted nonsense in press conferences and ignored issues like racism instead of doing the right thing…,

The Spain manager clearly isn’t a big name in Spain let alone in Europe his CV looks much more like Potters than Peps! Potter has plenty of success in the Swedish league if any record of success will do!

But the point is we aren't gonna get the likes of pep. Managers at the top of their game are unlikely to take a national job

But the point is we aren't gonna get the likes of pep. Managers at the top of their game are unlikely to take a national job
I totally agree so you have to look at the other options available and you get the current Spain manager or potential England manager Potter. There has been a huge push for Southgate to go from fans without any real thought about his replacement and it will be interesting to see the reaction when it is almost inevitably an underwhelming name that gets the job. Eddie Howe is first on the list and all he has ever won is the Championship a decade ago.

Last edited:
Thought we had a lot of luck throughout the tournament, key moments but overall didn't play well. Spain deserved to win, as most have said. Can't fault them, exciting team to watch.

Yeah Spain played amazingly well, they really showed where the England players were lacking, the ease they passed the ball to each other at speed. They all knew what each other was doing and the role they each had to play. They rarely stopped to look who was about in order to pass the ball, unlike England half the time we lost the ball because the players didn't know who was where and there was a lack of fluidity in the way they play, I'm not sure it's all Gareth's fault, but his unwillingness to make changes to the squad prior to and during the matches was a massive downfall on his part. It was clear early on that the starting team selection wasn't up to snuff but he doubled down trying to force it to work, eventually he made slight change but not significant enough to change the dynamic of the team. That said the players need to shoulder some blame, because what they do on the pitch is ultimately upto them, if they don't mark a player up they should have it's on them, if they dont chase for the ball when they should, its down to them.

I say all the above and ultimately who the hell am I, I'm just a knob sat on my sofa thinking it's so easy all these decisions, reality though I'm sure it's very tough living it for real.

Spain deserved to win, they were class. Yes I'm bitterly disappointed but the best team won which is fair imo.

However, people are stubborn, and even when later on down the line, we're no closer to a trophy despite Graham Potter or Eddie Howe or "Big Sam" taking charge, I don't think that most will admit that Gareth was a great coach that changed the face of a frankly abysmally organised England side in to something people can get behind and support as a real prospect for tournament success.
Southgate took over after Hodgson, Had 8 years in charge to build and perfect a system for the team, had a far better squad yet his win % is less than 1% better than Hodgsons.

Wenger is too busy at Fifa

I really don't want Howe, Potter. At least pick someone who knows how to win trophies.
Englishmen don't win [proper] trophies, when England have gone with foreign trophy winners like Sven and Capello that hasn't been a raging success either. We also need to be realistic, someone like Ancelotti would be great but why would he leave his position at Madrid having just landed Mbappe to take over a foreign nation?
Klopp has already explicitly stated he will NOT manage a country for a year after leaving Liverpool.
Pep, similar to Carlo isn't going to downgrade from his club to England.

People are going to have to suck it up, they wanted Southgate out but what comes next has no guarantee of success given the calibre of realistic candidates.

Last edited:
Southgate's record speaks for itself. He may not have produced enjoyable football to watch, but he did exceptionally well. We will soon miss him.

IMO a lot comes down to the quality of the players he has access to, other managers have been competitive, even done better, with a lower standard of players, at times he has been too timid but, and while I'm not sure how much is down to Southgate what has tripped us up at times is the insistence of playing certain players like Kane in matches where everyone can see the problems and/or not working the team around those players if they are going to feature.

With a lower standard of players he'd have been found significantly lacking tactically IMO.

Last edited:
If they pick Lampard I’ll start supporting the opposition.

Out of all the names mentioned on Sky the other night, Klopp would be my choice.

If they pick Lampard I’ll start supporting the opposition.

Out of all the names mentioned on Sky the other night, Klopp would be my choice.

Lampard's record is better than Southgate though and as much as I think Frank is useless he is less useless than Gareth.

He did well with Chelsea with a transfer ban, has managed two cup finals if you count the playoffs, he has also managed at the opposite side of the table fighting relegation. The players will also respect him due to what he has done as a player.

What evidence do we have that Potter is a ‘yes man’ what ever that means? I get the impression from some posters that they would have had more time for Southgate if he spouted nonsense in press conferences and ignored issues like racism instead of doing the right thing…,

What you describe as “doing the right thing” is contentious.

Many people don’t think Southgate was doing the right thing at all and didn’t agree with his lecturing approach to non football issues.

Back
Top Bottom