UEFA Euro 2024 Final Spain v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 14th July 2024]

Caporegime
I think I've narrowed down the criteria for the next manager to three simple things:

- Someone who plays great football regardless of the opposition's strength.
- Someone whose teams score millions of goals.
- Someone who finishes second in their group to give themselves a tougher path to the final.

Soldato
I think I've narrowed down the criteria for the next manager to three simple things:

- Someone who finishes second in their group to give themselves a tougher path to the final.

I see no problem here. :cry:

Man of Honour
I wanted Howe last time, not too sure at the moment. There's no obvious standout candidates, I guess Potter has emerged since then and is available on a free.

I wouldn't mind Ancellotti, speaks English and seems to have good relationship with English players, then typically speak very highly of him. Can't see him leaving RM though.

Caporegime
Strikers were so irrelevant in the Euros that they haven't even bothered to put one in the best team:
UEFA's Euro 2024 Team of the Tournament:
Mike Maignan (France)
Kyle Walker (England)
Manuel Akanji (Switzerland)
William Saliba (France)
Marc Cucurella (Spain)
Daniel Olmo (Spain)
Rodri (Spain)
Fabian Ruiz (Spain)
Lamine Yamal (Spain)
Jamal Musiala (Germany)
Nico Williams (Spain)

Soldato
Did a cracking job in my eyes in so many ways - the last few tournaments (until these Euros) have been the first time I've enjoyed England since 1998. He ultimately didn't quite have it in him to bring us over the line, and these Euros were a step backwards, so it was very much the right time for him to go, but he deserves a huge amount of thanks.

I'd like to see Potter next.

Soldato
Strikers were so irrelevant in the Euros that they haven't even bothered to put one in the best team:
UEFA's Euro 2024 Team of the Tournament:
Mike Maignan (France)
Kyle Walker (England)
Manuel Akanji (Switzerland)
William Saliba (France)
Marc Cucurella (Spain)
Daniel Olmo (Spain)
Rodri (Spain)
Fabian Ruiz (Spain)
Lamine Yamal (Spain)
Jamal Musiala (Germany)
Nico Williams (Spain)
How did kyle walker make that team i thought he was bad this tournament tbh

Caporegime
Walker was a surprise but I don't think there was really a stand out right back this tournament. Kimmich was alright, Carvajal did pretty well. Probably the weakest position.

I think Bijol should have been in over Akanji too. Other than that I'm pretty much in agreement. Mamardashvili and Maignan were both excellent so either is a good choice.

Man of Honour
He was OK but not sure he deserves to be in the team, I guess they felt they needed to put at least 1 England player in as they reached the final and maybe there weren't many standout RBs

Associate
The best thing he did was stamping out the player club rivalry rubbish in the dressing room and at training camps. I do hope that doesn't make a return.

Soldato
Southgate deserves a lot of credit and thanks for restoring pride to the England team. But now is the right time to try something different.

Southgate's safety first approach got the results, but at times only just and at the expense of being enjoyable to watch. Ultimately, safety isn't enough to get past the likes of Spain and, lacking creativity, shape and press, England were never likely to take the lead in the final.

There's lots of possibilities now. Whether a big name international coach, or home grown, one thing is for sure - whatever the right decision is, the FA will probably make the wrong one :)

Soldato
Apparently Howe is open to the position. Could make sense give Stavely etc are out of Newcastle and that ownership will move onto it's next chapter, wouldn't be surprised to see him go to England and Newcastle replace him with Poch.

Caporegime
Apparently Howe is open to the position. Could make sense give Stavely etc are out of Newcastle and that ownership will move onto it's next chapter, wouldn't be surprised to see him go to England and Newcastle replace him with Poch.

Not sure why Newcastle would replace Howe with Poch, can't imagine he's seen as an upgrade?

Poch as England manager though I'd be happy with

Soldato
Would represent a good opportunity for him as like you say I think the writing is on the wall for him at Newcastle.

Soldato
Not sure why Newcastle would replace Howe with Poch, can't imagine he's seen as an upgrade?

Poch as England manager though I'd be happy with
Porch needs to refund his mojo he was great for Southampton and Spurs but seems to have lost something of himself in the two club big jobs that followed. Maybe working with a fixed group of players and trying to improve them would be liberating after the big budget messes!

Soldato
I think the thing with Howe is on one hand why would he want to leave Newcastle as they look a team to be going places and will have a solid foundation financially for years to come on the other hand he can probably see coming down the line his face eventually isn't going to fit with whatever new hierarchy takes over at Newcastle and they'll want a sexy foreign manager at the helm and he'll be out on his ear results or no results.

Leave Newcastle now with his head held high and give England a go for a tournament or 2 and the club jobs will still be there to come back too.

Soldato

You missed
- Makes a hash of qualifying so we get a worse seeding and a tougher group.
- Sometimes fails to qualify for major tournaments so we can have the summer off.

Soldato
There wasn’t a single bit of structure to that English team in most of the games. Throw on a bunch of stars and hope for the best.

Spain was the complete opposite. Overlapping fullbacks, direct passing, a well structured press.

Straight swap? Howe replaced by Southgate and Howe in for the England job, right? :D
Well if Ashworth was still slithering about Newcastle I would have started to getting even more worried!! :D

Back
Top Bottom