UEFA Euro 2024 Group C ** spoilers ** (Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, ENGLAND)

Soldato
I’ll still stand by what I say. The pace foden, palmer or even Bellingham bring, it needs to carry on from the striker. Kane slows it down and then the ball goes backwards.

I think the formation isn't working for Kane.

You need runners from midfield to go in ahead of him, and we just aren't getting that.

We are almost better off playing Foden and Bellingham just behind Kane as AMs
Have 3 at the back, and a pair of CM/CDM, and
2 wing backs.

Let Kane pass into the box, to a running Foden and Bellingham

Basically play a 3-4-2-1 - we even have the players for it! Unlike during the Gerard/Lampard era.

Last edited:
Associate
Difficult environment? From the tv in that second half, all I could hear was positive chanting from the fans with the drummer.

I think he might just be an emo pessimist disguised as a delusional optimist. He’ll get back to the hotel, stick some James Arthur on the stereo, turn it up (to just below conversational volume), drink a whisky and coke (95% coke to 5% whisky as he’s feeling brave), put on his favourite beige zip up t shirt and have a sad hand shandy over pictures of Kalvin Phillips.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Gary explaining that actually English managers have it easy with the soft crap they are asked by the media and the accountability. Shock horror. Other countries place more of a focus on tactics and good management. Did my absolute nut the amount of crap I had to listen to about Southgate in the last Euros. None of it related to being an actually technically competent manager. All about the feels.

Associate
That was dreadful, worse than the other two games considering we played the worst team in it with one good player, the keeper who made 4 easy saves all game. Didn't look like scoring until the 90th minute.
Needs a big step up even against a dreadful Dutch team with a terrible keeper if we get them.

Caporegime
That was dreadful, worse than the other two games considering we played the worst team in it with one good player, the keeper who made 4 easy saves all game. Didn't look like scoring until the 90th minute.
Needs a big step up even against a dreadful Dutch team with a terrible keeper if we get them.
They had one of the best young strikers in the world up front too

fez

fez

Caporegime
Makes me giggle all the Trent can't play because he can't defend stuff. Plays week in week out against the Arsenal's, Citys etc and in European games but now he can't play against Slovenia and what looks like some of the poorest international teams for donkeys years.

And Phil Foden was a massive part of City winning the league this season and has looked bang average for England. Whats your point. Teams play in a particular way and you can't just stick them all in a team, play the wrong style of football for them and magically have a great team. I hate to break it to you but England play slightly differently to Liverpool.

Yes, the both want to play expansive attacking football, press high up the pitch and play with a lot of pace and energy. And yes both have one of the best managers ever at the helm directing them. Both dominate games so much that their defenders play over the half way line most of the game and their full backs main job is attacking. Oh wait...

Makes me giggle to see all the Liverpool fans in here and their inability to accept that TAA isn't a midfielder and most of the criticism he has been getting is based on his role as a midfielder. I don't think many people have suggested that he couldn't play RB. I don't think hes a great defender defensively but you don't play TAA for his defensive capabilities, you play him for his offensive ability.

Soldato
I know I'm a massive outlier but I genuinely think the hysterical reaction to England's performances is over the top, and more likely to damage our chances rather than help them. I don't think any other country in the tournament would be lambasting itself as much of they had the same group stage we did. We topped the group, that's literally job done as far as this stage goes.

The team's job is to win matches and progress, not please the pundits. It is a shame that we don't have more cutting edge up top and sure it would be nice to have won 4-0 tonight, but I think we're actually better suited to playing against better teams in a knockout match than breaking down defensive cagey teams who are playing for draws.

Steady as she goes Gareth.

Soldato

Perhaps he should do what the rest do and pass it backwards.
The narrative was already set before a ball had even been kicked by the likes of Neville and co, he's a liability don't forget. The same people that have been over analyzing his every step and have pushed the narrative he cant defend, which is swallowed by the numpties of opposition teams (see this very thread). As to the likes of Kane and others getting a little flack for their performances, its nothing compared to what TAA has had to endure for years.

Soldato
I know I'm a massive outlier but I genuinely think the hysterical reaction to England's performances is over the top, and more likely to damage our chances rather than help them. I don't think any other country in the tournament would be lambasting itself as much of they had the same group stage we did. We topped the group, that's literally job done as far as this stage goes.

The team's job is to win matches and progress, not please the pundits. It is a shame that we don't have more cutting edge up top and sure it would be nice to have won 4-0 tonight, but I think we're actually better suited to playing against better teams in a knockout match than breaking down defensive cagey teams who are playing for draws.

Steady as she goes Gareth.
I agree to a certain extent, the thing that annoys me and always does with England is we go through a two year qualifying cycle and always land up experimenting at the tournament because we don’t know our best 11 and the formation/tactics we are going to play. The time to try TAA as a DM was long before we got here!

Soldato
Funny thing is we all know Southgate won’t make a single change, same team and keep playing the same way.
That’s what he’s done for the last 8 years and has limped through with easy draws and the odd decent individual performance.

Soldato
The narrative was already set before a ball had even been kicked by the likes of Neville and co, he's a liability don't forget. The same people that have been over analyzing his every step and have pushed the narrative he cant defend, which is swallowed by the numpties of opposition teams (see this very thread). As to the likes of Kane and others getting a little flack for their performances, its nothing compared to what TAA has had to endure for years.
Playing him in midfield in a major tournament wasn’t fair of Southgate as if we lost he was going to be an obvious fall guy.

Back
Top Bottom