UEFA Euro 2024 Group C ** spoilers ** (Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, ENGLAND)

Associate
And Phil Foden was a massive part of City winning the league this season and has looked bang average for England. Whats your point. Teams play in a particular way and you can't just stick them all in a team, play the wrong style of football for them and magically have a great team. I hate to break it to you but England play slightly differently to Liverpool.

Yes, the both want to play expansive attacking football, press high up the pitch and play with a lot of pace and energy. And yes both have one of the best managers ever at the helm directing them. Both dominate games so much that their defenders play over the half way line most of the game and their full backs main job is attacking. Oh wait...

Makes me giggle to see all the Liverpool fans in here and their inability to accept that TAA isn't a midfielder and most of the criticism he has been getting is based on his role as a midfielder. I don't think many people have suggested that he couldn't play RB. I don't think hes a great defender defensively but you don't play TAA for his defensive capabilities, you play him for his offensive ability.
What part of my post says he should play in midfield? I mentioned him playing for Liverpool so at RB.

Soldato
The narrative was already set before a ball had even been kicked by the likes of Neville and co, he's a liability don't forget. The same people that have been over analyzing his every step and have pushed the narrative he cant defend, which is swallowed by the numpties of opposition teams (see this very thread). As to the likes of Kane and others getting a little flack for their performances, its nothing compared to what TAA has had to endure for years.
Numpties of other teams? I recall many a post from Liverpool fans deriding his defensive / positional ability. He's the most dribbled past defender in all the top leagues if I'm not mistaken. It's pretty clear which is his strongest role when it comes to defence / attack.

Last edited:
Associate
Numpties of other teams? I recall many a post from Liverpool fans deriding his defensive / positional ability. He's the most dribbled past defender in all the top leagues if I'm not mistaken. It's pretty clear which is his strongest role when it comes to defence / attack.
Most dribbled past stat is hilarious. Look at the City game against Doku. Dribbled past Trent loads and he went nowhere but backwards.

Robinson and Porro are 2nd and 3rd on the list just behind Trent and everyone raved about them.

Soldato
Numpties of other teams? I recall many a post from Liverpool fans deriding his defensive / positional ability.
they are numpties too :p To late now, but Klopp wanted his RB to be forward, the space vacated by Trent was to be filled by a cb/the right sided midfielder. The same happned with Bradely - hell it happens with every rb in a top team. Walker gets caught 'out of position' playing for Man city, crickets from folks tho, because that isn't the narrative.
He's the most dribbled past defender in all the top leagues if I'm not mistaken. It's pretty clear which is his strongest role when it comes to defence / attack.
Ahh yes, dribbled past, the most useless stat in modern football. Here's 7 examples in one game where he is dribbled past..apparently (spoiler, its actually twice)

Last edited:
Soldato
Most dribbled past stat is hilarious. Look at the City game against Doku. Dribbled past Trent loads and he went nowhere but backwards.

Robinson and Porro are 2nd and 3rd on the list just behind Trent and everyone raved about them.
I've never seen someone skinned as much as him vs us. Martinelli just drifted past him without so much as a dropped shoulder. There's not doubt he's a talented footballer but he thrived as an attacking player in a team who had plenty of cover for him. To drop him into midfield like Southgate has is crazy considering his complete lack of experience there.

Soldato
I've never seen someone skinned as much as him vs us. Martinelli just drifted past him without so much as a dropped shoulder. There's not doubt he's a talented footballer but he thrived as an attacking player in a team who had plenty of cover for him. To drop him into midfield like Southgate has is crazy considering his complete lack of experience there.

Bang on, with 3 midfielders on the bench too.

Associate
All FBs get dribbled past though, attacking ones more so. I can't find the table for this year but like I said, Robinson and Porro are just behind Trent. Dribbled past is only important if it leads to something. I never see stats for this so I guess Trent isn't high on it as it doesn't fit the agenda.
Thing is Trent is just miles clear of any other RB or fullback going forward it outweighs any defensive problems, especially in a very boring England team going forward.

Why can't Stones cover for Trent, apparently he's one of the best CB's ever. Or does it have to be Quansah covering Trent?

Last edited:
Soldato
Not with the ease that he does and no it doesn't outweigh the defensive problems against good teams. England aren't built the way Liverpool were in his most successful seasons, he doesn't have the cover from midfield and CB so he can just do his thing. Stating chances created stats for a position whose primary role is defence is pretty pointless, to me it just points to our attacking players not doing enough.

Man of Honour
How the hell were England favourites to win this? the whole thing is one big embarrassment, they should just get on the plane and come home

Reactions: SPG
Associate
Not with the ease that he does and no it doesn't outweigh the defensive problems against good teams. England aren't built the way Liverpool were in his most successful seasons, he doesn't have the cover from midfield and CB so he can just do his thing. Stating chances created stats for a position whose primary role is defence is pretty pointless, to me it just points to our attacking players not doing enough.
So Stones and Rice can't provide cover for a fullback like a Fabinho and Matip did.

Soldato
I'd bin Foden. Let Jude cook in his role without another chef getting in his way.
I dunno. I think Foden has been the pick of the poor bunch attacking wise across all three games. Looks miles better when he drifts towards the middle. Actually thought he was probably England's best player tonight. Bellingham has been wandering around looking absolutely knackered for most of the time. I wonder if Jude is actually on holiday and they've done a bait and switch with his Wish version brother from Sunderland instead? Like on House of the Dragon yesterday.

Associate
I dunno. I think Foden has been the pick of the poor bunch attacking wise across all three games. Looks miles better when he drifts towards the middle. Actually thought he was probably England's best player tonight. Bellingham has been wandering around looking absolutely knackered for most of the time. I wonder if Jude is actually on holiday and they've done a bait and switch with his Wish version brother from Sunderland instead? Like on House of the Dragon yesterday.
That's the trouble though, he's drifting in all the time making the middle of the park congested. We looked more dangerous in 6 mins Gordon was on for as he stayed wide.

Team that ended tonights game should start the next one.

Associate
I'm sure they could if that's the way we decided to play but we haven't, not actually sure what we are trying to play. I'd probably play him RB against the weaker teams to be fair.
But the way England play should provide Trent with more cover than he got for Liverpool

Back
Top Bottom