UEFA Euro 2024 Group C ** spoilers ** (Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, ENGLAND)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it was me, I'd sack Southgate now and give the players a chance in the knockout stages. He's a fraud

Never a manager, how he got the managers job is beyond me. Morale booster, sure, PR guy, absolutely. Tactician and head coach? Absolutely not

The way Bellingham is playing under Southgate is terrible, gone from a potential Ballon d'Or winner at Real, to looking more like winning a Balloon Dog at the team hotel evening entertainment
Hopefully he's less likely to replace ETH now.

No-one deserves to be physically attacked for doing their job.

The English mentality is disgraceful - there's people in this thread calling for the national team to lose just so it can finally justify sacking the manager. It's just spiteful and vindictive. This is why the team find it difficult to perform in that atmosphere, it's downright toxic.
Every game there are cups being thrown all the time, you must have seen it? Its not just England.

He's had three games to get the right balance and none have worked. Changing one player in midfield is not going to change the dynamic of the team. He needs a radical change in formation and would say at least three changes.

Palmer for sure, Mainoo and Gordon from the start. We have no more chances as we head into the knockout stages. Kane looks half asleep, play Watkins for a least the first half. We obviously cannot break any team down that park the bus, so you never know, we may actually play better against attacking teams. (or get taken apart)

Last edited:
So what on earth do people want from England fans.

Make sure we don't suggest we have easily one of the best teams in the world on paper and as a result should/are one of the favourite?
Watch England labour or get outplayed by teams we should be battering or at least comfortably dominating and beating and then say "oh great game boys, that was a fantastic 0-0"
Not criticise the players or manager when they play poorly. I'm not talking as a team I am taking not being able to pass properly or compete for the ball.

And the laughable idea that fans from other countries are gentle on their national sides is just baffling. France will be absolutely all over their national team after they limped through their group and thats ignoring the fact that France have played 10x better and more exciting football than us.

Southgate is the biggest issue in this team and everything stems from him. Hes a wet lettuce of a human and his idea of a good group is exactly what has happened. Little risk taken and few goals conceded. Screw the rest of it. Watch us limp out of the competition over the next few games.

All this moaning from fans. People seem to forget that most of the teams playing England are currently setup for the counter. When England come to play teams that actually want to attack also, they will find more spaces = more chances

I'm an Italian, groups stages is just get through. This is where the real tournament begins (not that I fancy Italy to make it any further)

We may actually play better against attacking teams. (or get taken apart)

My biggest fear is that Southgate seems to want our players to shut down the opposition quickly and then just stand off them. We rarely made tackles last night. We just got close and stood there. A better team would have played through us because we didn't actually pressure the ball. This team isn't full of defensively minded players. Our RB/LB want to attack and do that for their club side. Saka, Foden, Bellingham, Kane are all primarily attacking players. Against good sides Southgate will 100% go full turtle and will our players have the discipline to pull that off.

All this moaning from fans. People seem to forget that most of the teams playing England are currently setup for the counter. When England come to play teams that actually want to attack also, they will find more spaces = more chances

I'm an Italian, groups stages is just get through. This is where the real tournament begins (not that I fancy Italy to make it any further)
Does Safegate have that in him? To change gear/philosophy? If so why didn't he give other players an opportunity. An opportunity to build some momentum against weaker sides.

The fans in the stadium were amazing. More energy in the crowd than on the pitch.

Last edited:

And everyone knows the best way to break down deep sitting teams is to ponderously move the ball around with no pace or movement... all the big teams have this issue and as a manager your job is to set up to break that down.

Do you think England are magically going to come good once they play a good team? That Southgate will suddenly start playing the right players in the right positions and the team will magically gel. France haven't exactly set the tournament alight but my god are they magnitudes better than us. All of the other big teams have shown strong signs of being able to perform in some of their games. This is the issue. We haven't seen anything good from England.

Yes the so called lesser teams will naturally play deep but that doesn't escape the fact England have many players available to Southgate that should be creative enough to break and open them up they do it in the premier league/ champions league these players play for top teams that are used to playing Vs deep sitting teams ?

And against the better teams that will try to come forward will suit Southgates only tactic stay deep and counter, but if England take the lead they'll just try to sit on it and probably cost them like it did in the last euros final

Last edited:
When was the last you watched England and thought "that was a great performance"? They constantly disappoint England fans with limp unimaginative performances. We have some great players for sure, but put on an England shirt and all of a sudden they lack composure, pride and consistency. It's like a curse. You can blame Southgate for that but the players need to take the blame as well.

They have to up their game in the next one, otherwise, bye bye.

Does Safegate have that in him? To change gear/philosophy? If so why didn't he give other players an opportunity. An opportunity to build some momentum against weaker sides.

The fans in the stadium were amazing. More energy in the crowd than on the pitch.
Well I'm not saying he has it in him, for me England are probably more suited to a 3-5-2 formation (some sort of false 9 likely). At least that way, you fit all your attacking players in. Think of it like a Sunday league team, you have so many attackers, what formation can you try and make it work with :D

And everyone knows the best way to break down deep sitting teams is to ponderously move the ball around with no pace or movement... all the big teams have this issue and as a manager your job is to set up to break that down.

Do you think England are magically going to come good once they play a good team? That Southgate will suddenly start playing the right players in the right positions and the team will magically gel. France haven't exactly set the tournament alight but my god are they magnitudes better than us. All of the other big teams have shown strong signs of being able to perform in some of their games. This is the issue. We haven't seen anything good from England.

Yes the so called lesser teams will naturally play deep but that doesn't escape the fact England have many players available to Southgate that should be creative enough to break and open them up they do it in the premier league/ champions league these players play for top teams that are used to playing Vs deep sitting teams ?

And against the better teams that will try to come forward will suit Southgates only tactic stay deep and counter, but you can if England take the lead they'll just try to sit on it and probably cost them like it did in the last euros final
Even the best teams find it hard to break down teams that sit deep. At least against better teams they will attack!

What England will do against teams that dominate the ball, e.g. Spain (and i'd argue even Italy are doing better then England right now) - I'm not sure yet. Any team that kicks it away so much from the GK will never be top level at this stage. All the players, including defenders, need to get comfortable wanting / with the ball under pressure, I'm not sure they are compared to others.

However, I do think they will play/do better then current performances.

You can blame Southgate for that but the players need to take the blame as well.

The problem with that is the modern game is fantastically tactical. There is a reason we are seeing more and more "smaller" teams playing well and causing the big teams issues. And I don't mean by just sitting with 10 men behind the ball. They are tactically well set up, well drilled and don't have the egos the bigger teams have to work around. The average quality of the player in these teams is high so they can execute these plans effectively. Look at the likes of Austria. They have some "star players" but most of the team is just workmanlike but at the level they aren't making loads of mistakes.

Tactics and execution can go toe to toe with flair and quality if its poorly managed. Thats what we are seeing with England. Players aren't going to get more confident when they are being asked to play a boring, **** system with the wrong players are they.

Id probably go, Pickford, Trent at RB, same CBs, put walker on the left side (if you are gonna play a right footed left back, then at least play your two best full backs and not your worst one in there. Then rice and bellingham in the middle, foden at 10, watkins up front, then gordon on the left and palmer or Saka on the right (not completely willing to ditch saka like i am kane)

I think there's a reasonable chance things will improve when we're faced with better opposition, up to a point, anyway.

Southgate is just so tragic though, it's so frustrating watching such a talented squad be mismanaged this badly. 8 years of it too. :(

If it was me, I'd sack Southgate now...The way Bellingham is playing under Southgate is terrible, gone from a potential Ballon d'Or winner at Real, to looking more like winning a Balloon Dog at the team hotel evening entertainment

Blaming Bellingham's sub par performance on Southgate would really only hold water if Southgate played him out of position. I watched quite a few of Real Madrid's games in the later part of the season and Bellingham did not always play very well - was that Ancelotti's fault? Also for the first game against Serbia by all accounts Bellingham had a good game - do you give Southgate credit for that?

My issues with Southgate are generally around the people he plays and how quick/slow he makes changes but to say Southgate is the reason that Bellingham has a bad couple of games doesn't really stack up.

Ultimately this is a results based game not a performance one - most people would agree that Dortmund played better than Real Madrid in the CL Final but who took home the trophy. So at the moment England are top of their group so let's wait until they're out before getting the knives out for Southgate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom