UEFA Euro 2024 Group C ** spoilers ** (Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, ENGLAND)

fez

fez

Caporegime
You need to join the dots here - there's a reason why the only managers you can attract are generally ex players. Top class managers won't touch that job - when they tried it with Scolari 20 years, he made it clear why he wasn't interested.

There are very few top class managers that are in high demand that take international jobs. They are usually taken by older managers who have had their careers or by second tier managers.

France - Deschamps
Portugal - Martinez who seems to like an easy life and has moved from underachieving with Belgium to kowtowing to Ronaldo at Portugal
Germany - One of very few teams to have a genuine desirable top class manager in Nagelsmann
Belgium - Tadesco
Brazil - Dorival Junior
Argentina - Scaloni
Italy - Spalletti, a good manager to be fair
Netherlands - Koeman
Spain - Luis de la Fuente

How many of those would be getting jobs at any of the top domestic clubs in the world. 2 or perhaps 3 out of 9 if you are being generous. We could very much have a better manager than Southgate very easily however. Thats ignoring the fact that I think a dead possum wouldn't be much of a downgrade on Southgate.

Soldato
I don't know how Martinez went from Belgium to Portugal another crap coach although better than Southgate

Look at Southgates club management history

Man of Honour
Looking fairly likely we'll face the Dutch.

Data Analysts Nielsen Gracenote have the likelihood of England's opponents as:
  • 61% Netherlands
  • 16% Slovakia
  • 11% Ukraine
  • 8% Romania
  • 4% Belgium

Soldato
Really? :p

I can't believe I'm having to point this out...

There's a massive difference between throwing objects at opposing players and throwing objects at your own manager, who has come over to applaud you for your "support", having just won the group.

You need to join the dots here - there's a reason why the only managers you can attract are generally ex players. Top class managers won't touch that job - when they tried it with Scolari 20 years, he made it clear why he wasn't interested.
Imagine if you’d been working 2 jobs so you could save up 10k to go Germany and support England only to get served up this rubbish, I think the supporters have every right to show their dissatisfaction.

Soldato
At least they made opportunities in the few minutes they had.

Maybe Slovenia just decided to park the bus more in the closing stages knowing draw was enough and England decided to attack more because it's 0-0 Vs Slovenia and times running out ?

Pretty sure no England player is happy to draw 0-0 Vs Slovenia even if already qualified?

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know how Martinez went from Belgium to Portugal another crap coach although better than Southgate

Look at Southgates club management history
Yeah pretty shocked about Martinez tbh. Mis-management of Europes best talents at their peak and now onto Portugal. Crazy…how do people at football associations make footballing decision is beyond most people.

Last edited:
Associate
Certainly appears that Southgate doesn't know his best team and I thought Palmer did well when coming on, at least he created more, but against tiring players opportunities generally should crop up.

Against better opposition I think we'll come unstuck, whoever that is.

Back
Top Bottom