Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have wondered if they are intentionally using up the dregs as an ammo soak They are inflicting large Ukranian losses as well, its not all one sided. Grind them down with the conscripts before using the rest of the better forces again. (Since the initial push with the elite forces failed miserably)

Is that a possibility?

Putin likes to project a certain image, despite the oppressive grip the Russian government has, it is much easier to do when the losses are more from people who won't be missed. Albeit they've also had a lot of casualties from special forces, etc. and something which a lot of people seem to have missed 2 out of band rounds of pre-war mobilisation, the first around 4000 men, the second in the 10s of thousands.

One factor as well is where these soldiers are coming from - those mobilised and deployed from the Russian far east, etc. are less likely to cause problems for Putin compared to those from more affluent western districts where they've touched the forces with a lighter hand.

I have wondered if they are intentionally using up the dregs as an ammo soak They are inflicting large Ukranian losses as well, its not all one sided. Grind them down with the conscripts before using the rest of the better forces again. (Since the initial push with the elite forces failed miserably)

Is that a possibility?
I don't think so given they used up so many of their elite and officer core as well as the "dregs", I suspect it's that they don't want to pull too many of the remaining fully trained personal away from other areas.

Sick of that 12,000 tank figure.

A guy counted every tank from orbital maps and their likely ability to be put back into use.

They have been stored outside for the best part of 30 years. Most are rusted hulks and at BEST they have half of that.

Russia have currently lost 3334 Tanks alone (+ over 6500 BMP, BMD & BTR, don't confuse them for tanks) as of today so they have lost over half their available total tanks and likely most of the good stuff with modern optics.

That leaves the old T-62, T-64 and unmodified T-80 rubbish to refurb as the T-72 (+T90) fleet has been decimated.

At best with russias buggered manufacturing capability they might be able to refurb around 15-30 tanks of the remaining stock PER MONTH back into "mobile" condition.

They are losing between 8-15 PER DAY. They are DONE as an armored fighting force for the next two decades.

He missed at least 600-700 tanks but still. The video is largely more accurate than many of the numbers banded around.

The question really is how aggressively they ramp up industry to support this war - by their own numbers it will take 2-3 years to put 800 tanks (all sorts) back into service with the current capabilities and they will lack for things like modern optics. In theory they could ramp up to producing T-72A/M spec tanks in reasonable numbers fairly quickly with civilian mobilisation.

EDIT: Interesting musing there on my part - ~3 years back or so they ordered a lot of diesel engines from China supposedly to replace the turbines in the T-80s but with this war there doesn't seem to be much evidence of that - only a few 100 of the supposed 3000 T-80s brought back into service seem to have actually had the upgrade program talked about, whether corruption at play there or whether those might start appearing in tanks either newly built or put back into service is an interesting one for me.

Last edited:
Tomorrow/day after is going to be... a curious matter considering Putin's sentimentality and the clear lack of completing the rather pertinent war goal of capturing the rest of Donetsk which currently looks unlikely to ever happen. The increased presence of the airforce that also happens to be the tyrants principle concern for possible revolution is possibly less an attempt to push through Ukraine and more to have clear lines of defence between the Kremlin and his own forces.

Trump told NATO they need to spend more and meet their commitment to 2% of GDP, and Germany needs to stop buying Russian oil because they were funding the military we are now fighting in a proxy war, he was correct.

Yup, that was correct and that's US foreign policy tbh.. (as was opposition to Nordstream 2) just delivered a bit more directly and with some added bluster which I guess did prompt some concerns in Europe when it was pressed and some steps were taken (even though ze Germans rather foolishly sniggered a bit at the time) but really it's this invasion which has really prompted leaders to re-evaluate defence.

Tomorrow/day after is going to be... a curious matter considering Putin's sentimentality and the clear lack of completing the rather pertinent war goal of capturing the rest of Donetsk which currently looks unlikely to ever happen. The increased presence of the airforce that also happens to be the tyrants principle concern for possible revolution is possibly less an attempt to push through Ukraine and more to have clear lines of defence between the Kremlin and his own forces.

It still sounds like it’s more or less a stalemate until either Russia goes on the offence with the equipment it’s gathering or Ukraine brings in its new tanks and trained units? Considering how far Russia got pushed back last March, it’s hard to imagine them achieving much vs a better prepared Ukraine.

Last edited:
70km isn't actually long range though is it, it's pretty much a stroll considering the vast areas that Ukraine covers.

Accuracy though is the main thing I suppose.
Since planes can only really operate in very low altitudes I think it's just about making these munitions less dangerous to use.

How long until someone overthrows Putin?

Surely Russian nationalists whether they support the war or not must be ****** off the way its going.

It may be difficult to get rid of him but it's not impossible.

The problem is what if someone more extreme and with less brain cells ends up in power..

70km isn't actually long range though is it, it's pretty much a stroll considering the vast areas that Ukraine covers.

Accuracy though is the main thing I suppose.
Did Ukraine ever get the himars launched small diameter bomb? I think that was meant to have a better range than 70km or maybe the JDAM-ER is just easily available.

It also interesting to think if the Mig 29 can use JDAM-ER, I didn't know it could use the normal JDAM.

Did Ukraine ever get the himars launched small diameter bomb? I think that was meant to have a better range than 70km or maybe the JDAM-ER is just easily available.

It also interesting to think if the Mig 29 can use JDAM-ER, I didn't know it could use the normal JDAM.

Ukraine has not received any 150km glsdb yet it will take a few months

He missed at least 600-700 tanks but still. The video is largely more accurate than many of the numbers banded around.

The question really is how aggressively they ramp up industry to support this war - by their own numbers it will take 2-3 years to put 800 tanks (all sorts) back into service with the current capabilities and they will lack for things like modern optics. In theory they could ramp up to producing T-72A/M spec tanks in reasonable numbers fairly quickly with civilian mobilisation.

EDIT: Interesting musing there on my part - ~3 years back or so they ordered a lot of diesel engines from China supposedly to replace the turbines in the T-80s but with this war there doesn't seem to be much evidence of that - only a few 100 of the supposed 3000 T-80s brought back into service seem to have actually had the upgrade program talked about, whether corruption at play there or whether those might start appearing in tanks either newly built or put back into service is an interesting one for me.
Don't be naive. The monies already been spread according to the ranks.
I think folk are getting wrong onformation about the numbers as no reliable source is available. The red army was always inflating their numbers.
According to Misha Yakovlev he was assigned to be a driver mechanic and his vehicle had no engine to his surprise. He served as a conscript in early 2000's for 2 years. Also, after more than ten years he still could not understand why the officer kept repeating that they will not regret the service as he, but he still does. Also he visited Crimea in 2021. The behaviour of local folk was really bizarre.

The former foreign minister for Belarus died last November, its now revealed that he died by "suicide" and this happened after he met with Kremlin officials

How long until someone overthrows Putin?

Surely Russian nationalists whether they support the war or not must be ****** off the way its going.

It may be difficult to get rid of him but it's not impossible.

The problem is what if someone more extreme and with less brain cells ends up in power..

Perhaps you mean MORE brain cells? I don't consider Putin stupid by any metric, but if you are against his attitude to the West, someone sharing his future desires but even more able to take the Russian population on side might be more worrying.

Although the vulgarity remains, the nuance is misquoted by you. Orban once again speaking sensible words, which may well come back to haunt the EU in general if they continue to wind their neck out too far in an attempt to hide their greedy seeking of cheap fuel with total disregard for its long term implications.

Last edited:
A guy on the news just now talking about a British institute that went into Ukraine and took Russian missiles that had fallen to the ground, analysed them and found 80% of the components came from the West.

Two implications, even though Russia has already upped their production to a war footing, supply is going to be a problem and we have to be aware of Russia trying to covertly obtain the components

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom