Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a very cold way of looking at it, in many ways the war in Ukraine is one of the cheapest ways for the USA to grind down one of its major international rivals.
One US government member (sorry I forget who) actually stated in response of Republican condemnation of the money going to Ukraine, that in 22-23 the US spent 5.6% of its defence budget to destroy nearly half of Russia's conventional military capability.

I'm pretty surprised that 34% view Ukraine unfavourably. Just why?
A lot of older Americans (and younger ones taken in by talk from the older ones or some TV commentators) view this as an internal Soviet conflict, they don't see why we should be paying to help the less Russian Rooskies fight the more Russian Rooskies >.>

Then you also have the "Why do we even have to be involved, let Europe fix their own mess" crowds.

Last edited:
So why can’t we get the trash made domestically too?
So why does cheap labour make the trash worth making in china but not the good stuff?
Well basically because if you're making trash grade products out of trash grade materials you only need to employ trash grade machinists to do it, and locally they would still require minimum wage.

But if you want quality you need skilled machinists and you have to pay them for their skills.

Last edited:
So why does cheap labour make the trash worth making in china but not the good stuff?
Well basically because if you're making trash grade products out of trash grade materials you only need to employ trash grade machinists to do it, and locally they would still require minimum wage.

But if you want quality you need skilled machinists and you have to pay them for their skills.

Kind of, but also the labour cost as a percentage of the product matters far more if its a trash grade low cost item.
If you can make an item in china for £1 due to very low labour costs, but its £1.50 in the UK which would you go to?

TBH I wouldnt say there is much the West can do that the chinese cannot match.
But if your spending £1m on something that would save you 5% getting it made in China would you actually bother?

Wonder what would happen if Ukraine asked the UN, or even their NATO allies, to provide personnel to help with humanitarian aid in the areas affected by the rising water levels? Would Russia dare to fire on them?
it wouldnt be the first time UN peacekeepers have been fired on

Ta for all the answers.

I'd expect 10%, maybe a little more.

A third is a whole lot of cretins. I'm genuinely surprised* at that.

* "surprised" in civil service language which means "horrified"

Apparently Tokmak is getting hammered by HIMARS, they've had three seperate rounds of arrivals in the last couple hours, telegram users reporting dozens of explosions

Last edited:
Then you also have the "Why do we even have to be involved, let Europe fix their own mess" crowds.

Frankly if I was an American I'd be asking why Europe (including the UK) doesn't step up to the plate more - this isn't a situation which is going away otherwise and had a high possibility of affecting all of us if not stopped at Ukraine. People are very much mistaken IMO if they think this starts and ends with a dispute between Ukraine and Russia.

New imgary shows the dam is damaged in 3 places.
I was looking at the latest imagary of the dam earlier today. More I looked at it more I'm convinced this was a deliberate setting off of placed demolitions. As opposed to negligence/incompetence. I can understand the center gated section of the damn failing due to increased water/previous damage. However there is 3 clear breach points, with the most southern of the two breaches covering the Hydro generation buildings looking the most obvious/suspect.

I'm pretty surprised that 34% view Ukraine unfavourably. Just why?

Probably doesn't help the cause.

The west of Ukraine was full of collaborators in WW2, but it goes against the copiam/we support the latest thing trend to discuss any negatives or the reality of history. News articles are difficult to find on search engines now but Ukraine has always been riddled with corruption and extremists on both sides, Nothing has changed.

We have to put this in context though as for the old USSR countries Nazism is less about specific ideology and more about nationalism, every single time Russia has called Ukraine Nazis it's almost entirely down to them not kowtowing to Russian influence and only a small part of it is to irritate the West who have a vastly different view of what it's definition is.

Either way it's impossible to avoid these symbols for either Ukraine or Russia because a fair chunk of both militaries employ what is little more than local militia groups and for Wagner in particular the prevalence of criminals who are very likely to sport such imagery even if perhaps they have no opinion on where it came from. Does it represent the entireity of their government? Somehow I doubt it considering the rather contradictory notion of a Jewish leader and the fact that Ukraine remains democratic whilst Russia is increasingly a fascist power is probably where any serious criticism for Ukraine ends imo.

Last edited:
The west of Ukraine was full of collaborators in WW2, but it goes against the copiam/we support the latest thing trend to discuss any negatives or the reality of history. News articles are difficult to find on search engines now but Ukraine has always been riddled with corruption and extremists on both sides, Nothing has changed.
Riddled with and/or surrounded by. It was, and is, an idealogical choice. When your home is being occupied I am sure the focus comes quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom