Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
In crimea water is being rationed, in some towns the taps are turned on for just 4 hours a day by the authorities

This is something I don't understand about the dam being blown. It just made it really difficult to sustain Crimea, it's almost an admission that they don't expect to keep it.

Even if the war ended today, it still leaves Crimea waterless and with no quick way to fix that issue. One of the reasons to go to war was to secure Crimea's water supply - blowing up the dam hasn't helped that.

This is something I don't understand about the dam being blown. It just made it really difficult to sustain Crimea, it's almost an admission that they don't expect to keep it.

Even if the war ended today, it still leaves Crimea waterless and with no quick way to fix that issue. One of the reasons to go to war was to secure Crimea's water supply - blowing up the dam hasn't helped that.

At this point they’re just trying to save face and hold onto the land they’ve captured, whatever state it’s in.

This and destroying their own defences and drowning their own troops, it's almost like they didn't blow the dam up and someone else did...

Except, they shortened their front line and stopped any counter-attack from the Kherson area. do you really think they wouldn't do it just because a few soldiers would die and a whole load of civilians would suffer ? have you not been watching Russian military tactics for the last 200 hundred years.

Last edited:
In crimea water is being rationed, in some towns the taps are turned on for just 4 hours a day by the authorities

Water to Crimea was cut off for most of the occupation between 2014 and the 2022 escalation. Russia presumably knows how to supply sufficient water, although I guess it depends what state the bridge is in, and whether Ukraine can strike it again.

Except, they shortened their front line and stopped any counter-attack from the Kherson area. do you really think they wouldn't do it just because a few soldiers would die and a whole load of civilians would suffer ? have you not been watching Russian military tactics for the last 200 hundred years.
But did they? A crossing over the river was unlikely, opposed river crossing isn't easy, especilly over a wide river and if they hadn't blown the dam - they could do when (if) the crossing starts and cause absolute chaos, destroyng the bridging equipment and swamping any beachead.

I'm not saying the Russians aren't above stupid decisons - this whole 'special military operation' is a demonstration of that. I do wonder if someone was drunk and paniced.

Water to Crimea was cut off for most of the occupation between 2014 and the 2022 escalation. Russia presumably knows how to supply sufficient water, although I guess it depends what state the bridge is in, and whether Ukraine can strike it again.
The Wikipedia article on it says that cultivated land fell from 130,000 hectares to 14,000 between 2013 and 2017, although coversly Russia says that crop yields incresed by 1.5 over a similar period. Maybe that means the smaller amount of farmed land is at least more productive.

Would still be a large drop in output.

Last edited:
The Wikipedia article on it says that cultivated land fell from 130,000 hectares to 14,000 between 2013 and 2017, although coversly Russia says that crop yields incresed by 1.5 over a similar period. Maybe that means the small amount of farmed land is at least more productive.

Oh, in terms of cultivated land, absolutely Russia can't get close to supplying enough water - it's a big reason Crimea was part of Ukraine in the first place. I meant in terms of supplying water for drinking, washing, etc. to the population in Crimea and the military bases there.

It completely blows my mind watching these Russian shows. The lies that Russia make, the brutality they inflict without any remorse.

Its easy to see why MAGA Republicans and Russian leadership get on so well and support each other. Neither live in reality and will say anything knowing their followers are conditioned to accept it.

Can they not at this point? They’ve got weapons that can reach it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom