Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the worry is about reverse engineering rather than them getting it running again. The tank itself, not a worry surely, but if they had some more up to date bits of kit on it..

Is there really anything on a 2A6 that Russia doesn't already know about? The basic tank is half a century old, and even the 2A6 variant update is now 16 years old.

So the guys who can't keep their own tanks running have captured a highly complex high maintenance tank they have no ammunition or parts for, I wonder how this will work out for them :p

Exactly what I thought

I guess with mobility kills, which these seem to be, you can always salvage some to repair the others.
And I guess a few weeks play with the tanks and Russia may be able to get a crew capable of manning one.
But the yooks have better training so I am not sure how useful it would be to Russia anyway.

And lets not forget the t14 Armata stealth tanks are better in every single way ;)

I'm assuming those tanks have the latest and greatest tech stripped out, to reduce the risk of this?

Anyone know?
what sort of tech could you strip out?
aiming and range finding?
radio equipment? Perhaps they don't carry latest NATO radios anyway.
different ammo types? probably carried only the basic ones, no super penetrating stuff
armor composition and layers in Challenger 2 is closely guarded, but Leo 2A6 shouldn't be a mystery

They have a few troops, no video of recovery vehicles.. totally different ball game.

Still, baffling why Ukraine didn't put round on them to prevent possible capture

Last edited:
The leo capture is generally nothing more of a gain than propaganda talking point. There will be little to gain reverse engineering-wise. Nothing that couldn't be gleaned from espionage, and highly likely already has.
Its not like they can use it.

I doubt they would attack anything directly outside Ukraine, even inside Ukraine as that puts them firmly at war with Russia.

And the use of a city buster nuke isnt a game changer? Tactical nuclear weapons is a huge misnomer anyway - the smallest in Russian use is still bigger than the 2 that were used in WW2. Tactical is a doctrinal approach over whos real estate its used on.

Last edited:
NATO will build an office in Tokyo, Japan to service the Asian and Pacific region of allies

A few days ago it looked like it may not happen after France said it would hurt its relations with China. But now it's gone ahead

Last edited:
The leo capture is generally nothing more of a gain than propaganda talking point. There will be little to gain reverse engineering-wise. Nothing that couldn't be gleaned from espionage, and highly likely already has.
Its not like they can use it.

Maybe not Russia, but I imagine China possibly could.

Hope those Challies are shelled when abandoned.

NATO will build an office in Tokyo, Japan to service the Asian and Pacific region of allies

A few days ago it looked like it may not happen after France said it would hurt its relations with China. But now it's gone ahead

To be honest NATO in the pacific doesn't make sense, the US would do better with forming a Pacific version of NATO with the likes of Japan, South Korea & Australia

To be honest NATO in the pacific doesn't make sense, the US would do better with forming a Pacific version of NATO with the likes of Japan, South Korea & Australia
Having liaison offices in allied countries is a bit like having embassies in allied countries. Except maybe less spying. It isn't expanding NATO, it's cooperating more closely, which can only be a good thing.

"wait, you built it in inches? We thought we were all using metric!"
"should have liaised more closely young man"

Why, Ukraine isn't part of NATO, regardless what weapons Russia uses doesn't change that fact.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that a nuke would put Russia at war with NATO, but could definitely see it resulting in strikes on Russian forces by NATO.

If they time it so that all of the fallout gets blown back into Russia then that's marginally less bad, but if any gets blown into NATO countries...

Also there has to be an understanding that nuclear powers can't wage wars of conquest and nuke targets into submission. There have to be consequences. Same reason that in the long run acquiescing to any of Russia's previous demands backed by threats of nuclear weapons would make the world more dangerous not safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom