Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did NATO say damaging a nuclear power station would be a red line?

The US congress did, but the US President did not

At the end of the day, the blowing of the plant doesn't matter - its whether or not European Nato members decide to call Article 5 when radiation lands on them. If they don't feel like going to war over the radiation then nothing will happen.

Last edited:
Russian workers have been told to evacuate the plant apparently. Looks serious.

The US congress did, but the US President did not

At the end of the day, the blowing of the plant doesn't matter - its whether or not European Nato members decide to call Article 5 when radiation lands on them. If they don't feel like going to war over the radiation then nothing will happen.

Why do you think european members can unilaterally declare Article 5?

Last edited:
Why do you think european members can unilaterally declare Article 5?

I didn't say they can send nato to war, but the first step is a member putting the formal article 5 request forward so that members can discuss a declaration.
And even then, individual nato members can do whatever they want, they don't need to participate in said war

Last edited:
Did NATO say damaging a nuclear power station would be a red line?

Far as I know, the only red line is using tactical nukes. America is supposed to have privately told Russia that if it uses a nuke in Ukraine, they will decimate the Russian forces in Ukraine. That would not be a Nato thing, but I am certain other countries would join in.

Last edited:
I'm just rewatching the Chenobyl series. I now think even more that Russia is still like this.

If Chernobyl (the event, not the TV series) proved anything, it's that nuclear power plants are not as dangerous as the public imagine them to be. The actual number of deaths was negligible and far lower than that predicted by American research after Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The benefits to nature have been greater than any loss, entirely down to the humans leaving.

Whilst that's harmful to the human ego the worst aspect of Chernobyl was never that it happened but that it put a crack in the proverbial wall of thinking that we couldn't survive it.

If Chernobyl (the event, not the TV series) proved anything, it's that nuclear power plants are not as dangerous as the public imagine them to be. The actual number of deaths was negligible and far lower than that predicted by American research after Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The benefits to nature have been greater than any loss, entirely down to the humans leaving.

Chernobyl was bad but it could easily have been a lot lot worse - there is a reason no one outside of Russia operated that type of reactor and existing ones were heavily modified post Chernobyl.

Modern designs can still produce heavy local (20-30km) contamination in a worse case scenario such as Fukushima (despite how it is presented in the TV series even Fukushima wouldn't have been as bad if it wasn't for the ways they extended it's lifespan) but you'd need massive intentional engineering to produce something like Chernobyl or worse.

The big problem with nuclear power is human nature - if designed, operated and retired as they should be they are incredibly safe against both natural and intentional adversity.

D-Day we massively outnumbered the German defence forces. I forget the numbers now, but the Germans had around 350 aircraft facing off against our 11,000. Around 3,000,000 troops in Britain moving against 800,000 Germans. They didn't stand a hope in hell.

And the bit all our resident ADHD Generals probably don't realise, that even with this overwhelming force, once the allies got off the beachheads, it still took about a month to break through the heavy German defences to get out of the local area.

It's a slow process to break through heavily entrenched forces, combined with the fact that Ukranians don't have the overwhelming numbers and aren't acting like the Russians by zerging positions with complete indifference to losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom