Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the bit all our resident ADHD Generals probably don't realise, that even with this overwhelming force, once the allies got off the beachheads, it still took about a month to break through the heavy German defences to get out of the local area.

It's a slow process to break through heavily entrenched forces, combined with the fact that Ukranians don't have the overwhelming numbers and aren't acting like the Russians by zerging positions with complete indifference to losses.

Battle of Caen - 9 miles from the DDay beaches, took 2 months and 20 combat divisions on the Allied side and sucked in 18 German Divisions

Last edited:
Far as I know, the only red line is using tactical nukes. America is supposed to have privately told Russia that if it uses a nuke in Ukraine, they will decimate the Russian forces in Ukraine. That would not be a Nato thing, but I am certain other countries would join in.
Congress likes to sabre rattle but its not Article 5 - Obama also stated a red line in Syria and that was crossed and he/they did nothing.

Even if that statement were true it doesn't mean the US/Nato is going to get directly involved it simply means they'll flood ukraine with donated weapons. The US is not going to get involved in a european war theres no stomach for it and certainly not against an enemy armed with nukes. Only a direct strike on Nato territory would trigger article 5 and a blown up reactor over the border is not it.

Congress likes to sabre rattle but its not Article 5 - Obama also stated a red line in Syria and that was crossed and he/they did nothing.

Even if that statement were true it doesn't mean the US/Nato is going to get directly involved it simply means they'll flood ukraine with donated weapons. The US is not going to get involved in a european war theres no stomach for it and certainly not against an enemy armed with nukes. Only a direct strike on Nato territory would trigger article 5 and a blown up reactor over the border is not it.

USA have already stated that destruction of the nuclear power plant or use of nukes would invoke article 5. I do not know if that was signed off yet but I know it was proposed by both major parties

This doesn't look good either.

IMO people are poorly mistaken if they think Putin wouldn't blow up ZNPP due to a risk of contamination to Russia - he has already shown multiple times he is happy to sacrifice Russians for his goals - though if it affected the areas that more directly affect him like Moscow or more pertinently Sochi he might be less likely to do it.

"Biden is pushing for the European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen to become to new NATO Secretary General next year after Jens Stoltenberg steps down."

Oh dear.
Our reduced importance on the world stage post Brexit in full demonstration.

FWIW Wallace IMO would have been a very good person for the role.
He is being screwed by association (with the current cabinet) and Brexit :(

Hopefully, although doubtfully, it will cause some to take note of how trying to simp ourselves out to being more focussed on ASPAC (who won't give a stuff about us if push came to shove,) and harming our relationships with our neighbours to take stock.

I mean shes not a terrible choice, but Wallace would have been better IMO. (Especially for the UK)

Isn't she? I suppose on the upside she has a lot of experience and will know the European leaders well, but as we saw during the Covid Vaccine fiasco she is prone to hasty over-reaction. NATO can do better, imo.

Not a terrible choice would be a 3 maybe a 4 out of 10 on my scale.
And yes thats what I mean, there are far better people available.
I am giving her a bonus 1 point as shes doing ok in regards the current situation and this would be in effect more of the same.

I know NATO Secgen is really a political choice but I would be currently leaning towards someone with a heavy military background personally considering europe at the moment.

Mourdant? Oh no, she would get a 2/10 rating.

On the subject of ‘snuff’ videos, it’s all a rather pointless debate.

I saw a video recently of a guy getting effectively folded by the elevator he was stepping out of suddenly falling down. The video was on the NYTimes website so I figured it wouldn’t be graphic (and to some degree, it wasn’t) so figured it’d be safe to watch. Genuinely feel it’s left a mark on me since and I regret having watched it - and I am not a squimish person, or easily offended/upset. Since then, I actively choose to not search out watching stuff that I might not like.

However the reason that led me to watch it in the first place was morbid curiosity, and I genuinely get why people ‘want’ (not quite being the right word) to see footage from Ukraine. It’s a morbid curiosity and in lesser ways educating to actually be able to experience the barbarity of war without having to gain first hand experience.
When I first started using the internet many moons ago I discovered a websit called "rotten" this was one of the sickest websites ever, it was a morbid curiosity thing.

It was basically photos of accidents that left people decapitated, cut in half etc.

I haven't chosen to look at this stuff ever again as it's real people.

Even now I take no pleasure and avoid watching videos of Russians dead in trenches even though I have no feelings for them, unlike the people on rotten who had terrible accidents.

"Biden is pushing for the European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen to become to new NATO Secretary General next year after Jens Stoltenberg steps down."

Oh dear.
Our reduced importance on the world stage post Brexit in full demonstration.

FWIW Wallace IMO would have been a very good person for the role.
He is being screwed by association (with the current cabinet) and Brexit :(

Hopefully, although doubtfully, it will cause some to take note of how trying to simp ourselves out to being more focussed on ASPAC (who won't give a stuff about us if push came to shove,) and harming our relationships with our neighbours to take stock.

I mean shes not a terrible choice, but Wallace would have been better IMO. (Especially for the UK)

IIRC Wallace said he wasn't interested in the role.

EDIT: Oh I see in the news today they are saying he earlier showed interest in the role - I'm sure he said awhile back he wasn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom