Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
A weak Germany was the reason the Nazi party stole power. However we are talking about Russia.
There are lessons to learn in how we are handling this crisis (and the Nazis were weak too not just Germany), I hope we don't make the same mistakes twice.

Have you not noticed that when we have done things thought to be profoundly escalatory earlier on in the war that Putin has not responded to those supposed escalations?

Last edited:
There are lessons to learn in how we are handling this crisis (and the Nazis were weak too not just Germany), I hope we don't make the same mistakes twice.

Have you not noticed that when we have done things thought to be profoundly escalatory earlier on in the war that Putin has not responded to those supposed escalations?

Yeah, supporting Ukraine is a good thing. Have you noticed that Putin is either unhinged or horribly informed and makes terrible choices?

Last edited:
It goes back even further than that.

Back in Syria Putin was trying to be the badass coming to Assad's aid and taking on the Islamic militants, then Turkey shot down a Russian plane flying in Syrian airspace and Putin's response was: absolutely nothing.

Then Trump ordered a missile strike on a base the Russians and Iranians were using and basically told Putin to get his men out but if he warned Iraq/Syria then he wouldn't get another warning next time, made Putin look like a complete sub oin front of all his friends and his response was: absolutely nothing.

He's a typical playground bully, cries and acts the victim when smaller kids stand up to him but is always scared to mess with the bigger kids.

If Trump (or similar) gets in again I would bet he would make it a reality.

She's a disgusting human. Some gun channels I like seem to love her though for some nutty reason (TL;DR: Basically because she's standing up for gun owners). She's toxic sludge with the integrity of cheap toilet paper. This is the quality of politician we go over here thanks to Trump.

Let’s gang up and attack them Russians because they are weak!

Interesting mindset.

It's people/countries who understandably now feel very threatened by Russia acting while they can, rather than waiting until it's too late or becomes much more costly in the future. Preemptive self-defence if you like.

This is after all the same argument Russia itself put forward recently when they rather feebly attempted to obfuscate their obviously expansionist actions.

Poland the Baltics and Finland etc on the other hand, have their worst nightmare playing out on their doorstep. It's hardly ganging up on Russia if they did chose to act now and make sure Russias stay in Ukraine is as short as possible and the threat remained inside Russia, and the boundaries and boarders of the region remain static.

Last edited:
If Trump (or similar) gets in again I would bet he would make it a reality.
She is just continuing on along the path of Trump's previous direction. Trump was doing Putin's bidding in weakening NATO and its ties to the U.S. so if he'd won a second term I suspect the war in Ukraine would have gone very differently.

Last edited:
She is just continuing on along the path of Trump's previous direction. Trump was doing Putin's bidding in weakening NATO and it's ties to the U.S. so if he'd won a second term I suspect the war in Ukraine would have gone very differently.

What, you mean Putin would have been too scared to invade if Trump was leader of the free world?

skynews-donald-trump-trump-tower_5997105.png

What, you mean Putin would have been too scared to invade if Trump was leader of the free world?

Tbh, given Trump's unpredictable nature I've always suspected Putin would never have chanced it by invading Ukraine. Putin may have the ambitions to restore the Russian empire but he was undoubtedly encouraged to invade Ukraine when he saw Afghanistan debacle with the west looking weak and foolish.

Yes, we all are well aware Trump would have used his Jedi mind trick to dissuade Putin from invading. (The same powers of the mind he used to declassify top secret documents).

Though I think there is a small chance Putin wouldn't have felt the need for a military invasion as this war as much as anything is about geopolitical influence, especially in the former Soviet countries bordering Russia.

Let's not forget Putin was a KGB agent stationed in Berlin during the fall of the Berlin wall. He has witnessed firsthand the demise and influence of the Soviet Union, much to his on the record chagrin.

Putin (Russia) was too weak to do anything about the Baltic nations etc joining the E.U./NATO in the early 2000's but by 2008 when Georgia started making the same noises Putin invaded Georgia.

Once the pro E.U./NATO movement in Ukraine forced the pro Russian Yanokovych government to resign in 2014, Putin annexed Crimea and started a proxy war in the east of Ukraine.

So there is a chance that because Trump would have weakened pro E.U./NATO elements in Ukraine so much that Putin might not have felt the need for a full scale invasion. Not because of anything to do with any fear of what Trump might do or his unpredictability.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Putin had long planned to invade and was hoping that strong ties with Germany with their dependence on Russian gas and Trump still being in power and weakening NATO/E.U. resolve would have made the task far, far easier.

Last edited:
Though I wouldn't be surprised if Putin had long planned to invade and was hoping that strong ties with Germany with their dependence on Russian oil and Trump still being in power and weakening NATO/E.U. resolve would have made the task far, far easier.

Personally I think so - touching on that and something briefly mentioned above I think the drawdown in Afghanistan was partly due to seeing the potential for this invasion and future conflict with China and unfortunately and ironically the shambles of it only encouraged Putin that now was the time to strike while the West was weak and ineffective.

As for Trump I don't think he would have been a barrier to Putin invading and potentially has somewhat of a relationship with Putin which would lean more towards cooperation with Putin than against which might have encouraged Putin again that it was the best time for an invasion, where IMO his unpredictability comes in is in reaction to these kind of events, ultimately Trump always does what he thinks works for the greater glory of Donald Trump in any given moment and that could range from nothing to trying to start WW3 - I don't think he is so under Putin's thumb he'd have necessarily rolled over with this invasion.

Putin (Russia) was too weak to do anything about the Baltic nations etc joining the E.U/Nato in the early 2000's but by 2008 when Georgia started making the same noises Putin invaded Georgia.

Once the Pro EU/Nato movement in Ukraine forced the pro Russian Yanokovych government to resign in 2014, Putin annexed Crimea and started a proxy war in the east of Ukraine.

So there is a chance that because Trump would have weakened pro EU/Nato elements in Ukraine so much that Putin might not have felt the need for a full scale invasion. Not because of anything to do with any fear of what Trump might do or his unpredictability.

I think this was always coming - even if the EU/NATO elements hadn't have been as strong, as Ukraine moved more and more out of the former USSR's shadow, forged stronger geopolitical links of its own including with the West that produced problems for Putin, for one IMO it goes against his perspective of the natural world order and he couldn't bare to see Ukraine making a success of moving away from Russia and for another the link between the two countries are too strong to head off awareness of improving standards of living and social freedoms, etc. growing within Russia's society eventually risking undermining Putin's presidency.

Last edited:
It goes back even further than that.

Back in Syria Putin was trying to be the badass coming to Assad's aid and taking on the Islamic militants, then Turkey shot down a Russian plane flying in Syrian airspace and Putin's response was: absolutely nothing.

Then Trump ordered a missile strike on a base the Russians and Iranians were using and basically told Putin to get his men out but if he warned Iraq/Syria then he wouldn't get another warning next time, made Putin look like a complete sub oin front of all his friends and his response was: absolutely nothing.

He's a typical playground bully, cries and acts the victim when smaller kids stand up to him but is always scared to mess with the bigger kids.

I don't think this should be seen as Putin will never do nothing though, he doesn't forget, like a bully he'll look to exploit weakness, etc. or send someone else to do his dirty work.

Tbh, given Trump's unpredictable nature I've always suspected Putin would never have chanced it by invading Ukraine. Putin may have the ambitions to restore the Russian empire but he was undoubtedly encouraged to invade Ukraine when he saw Afghanistan debacle with the west looking weak and foolish.
Then Trump encouraged Putin.

"Trump signed order for immediate ‘large-scale troop withdrawals’ from Afghanistan after election loss"

Then Trump encouraged Putin.

"Trump signed order for immediate ‘large-scale troop withdrawals’ from Afghanistan after election loss"

Trump might have made things difficult and set things in motion - but Biden and/or his administration had plenty of time to handle things better than it went down - he was still parroting hugely outdated information and/or information anyone could see was completely wrong right up until the last moment...

No Trump would have been saying they are just reclaiming their old territory and done nothing.

He was pulling out of NATO in his first term but couldn't get it done, he would have in a second term.

Putin runs trump it's not obvious to some but it's pretty obvious to me and anyone with half a brain.

Any president who tells the world he trusts a dictator like Putin more than his own intelligence services has an agenda and it's not in NATO's interests

No Trump would have been saying they are just reclaiming their old territory and done nothing.

He was pulling out of NATO in his first term but couldn't get it done, he would have in a second term.

Putin runs trump it's not obvious to some but it's pretty obvious to me and anyone with half a brain.

Any president who tells the world he trusts a dictator like Putin more than his own intelligence services has an agenda and it's not in NATO's interests

Can't entirely agree with that - it is obvious Trump admires Putin and probably Putin has a certain amount of leverage over Trump, but Trump ultimately always does what is for the greater glory of Trump and has crossed Putin at times, or tried to but reigned in by the US administration/military, when it takes his fancy.

He is certainly more likely to side with Putin, until it is at odds with his best interests however, I don't believe Putin runs Trump but does have substantial influence over him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom