Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think any instance of NATO troops firing on Russian troops will mean a state of war exists between Russia and NATO.
Does that work the other way around in your head? Because Russia has already fired on an RAF Rivet Joint and downed a USAF MQ-9, both of which were operating in international airspace.

Commander of Russian submarine that had previously fired on Ukraine is shot dead while out for a run.

Does that work the other way around in your head? Because Russia has already fired on an RAF Rivet Joint and downed a USAF MQ-9, both of which were operating in international airspace.

I think most countries would really require a deliberate attack resulting in dead service men. The threshold is quite high considering the consequences. America isn't going to war with Russia over a downed drone. You did know that though presumably, right? It's pretty obvious.

Last edited:
I read somewhere we had 1000 of these in our inventory, I doubt they have all ready been exhausted given the logistics of finding and identifying a target and setting up an air mission.

Its over 20 years old (first operational use by the RAF was in Iraq in 2003), had a mid life update in 2016 as SPEAR 4 with an out of service date of 2032; the FC/ASW is the replacement

Last edited:
I think any instance of NATO troops firing on Russian troops will mean a state of war exists between Russia and NATO. The consequences of that could very quickly escalate into a nuclear war because really Russia only has tactical nuclear weapons as a realistic way of hitting back, they aren't just going to sit back while their troops get bombed into the stone age, they'll fire tactical nuclear weapons at every air base launching attacks. That's exactly what any Russian General would be forced to do because it is their only play. Then NATO would either respond in kind, or there'd be further use of nuclear weapons from the Russian side. We would be forced into a nuclear war likely culminating into a strategic exchange. Every General and Commander in NATO knows that, which is why we've only supplied weapons to Ukraine, and why there's been a gradual build up from small arms to tanks to longer range missiles.

It’s not their “only play”. They could get the hint they are not welcome in Ukraine and leave.

Everything you post seems to be centred on the notion that you cannot accept Russian defeat.

No one is forcing them to be in Ukraine. And everyone is pleading with them not to use nuclear weapons.

What is their justification for either?

The world cannot live under the threat of a nuclear blackmail from Russia.

Last edited:
I read somewhere we had 1000 of these in our inventory, I doubt they have all ready been exhausted given the logistics of finding and identifying a target and setting up an air mission.
I don't know, they've hit a lot of targets and it seems like they don't tend to fire them one at a time but fire a number of them at the same time at one target. However many we gave them, they must be getting through them. America and Germany also have equivalent weapons so hopefully they'll supply some at some point.

Poland alone seems eager to get involved, I've never seen more hatred of the Russians than Polish people I've spoken to over the past months.

Edit: par Ukrainians obviously

Most of the Baltic and other states which have been under the USSR or Russia's thumb are more inclined that way than not, though most aren't as eager as Poland to get stuck in. They know better than anyone really the consequences had Russia simply overrun Ukraine, never mind any historical animosity, etc.

On the flipside, it's shocking how many younger Polish (mid 30's and under) actually are on Russias side in this - i've heard some quite shocking stuff.

There's people that Russian propaganda works on in every country, Just because the KGB is supposed to be gone doesn't mean the one skill they were actually good at.is.

I can confirm baltic countries are the same

I'm sure politics that are based on hatred of a nationality are such a good way to go. Wonder if this has a name.
Where to even start haha. I seem to recall some history of interaction between some of these states. Maybe that has something to do with something?

Or maybe their party political broadcasts state "we hate Russia and so will... only lower your income tax if you hate them too." Yes, you're right it must be politics.

It could go like this
  • Set a date for Ukraine to join NATO. Within 6 months.
  • Massive build up of NATO troops and military hardware in Eastern Europe.
  • Offer the Russians a deal which expires the on the day Ukraine is set to join.
  • Crank up the military support for Ukraine
  • Send special forces in to cause some real havoc in the preceding month or two.
  • Make it fairly clear NATO airpower will be used if they let the deal lapse.
  • If they want to use nukes to defend something they are going to lose anyway that’s on them.
  • It’s all over before Christmas.

The problem is that although there is huge public support for Ukraine and sending them military aid, troops on the ground is a whole different story. Eastern European nations may well feel like getting stuck in but Western Europe is likely a whole different story and the American public are not looking to get involved in another war, it would be a disaster for Biden and would be a political gift to the Republicans and Trump. So I can' see Ukraine being admitted to NATO until the war is over.

The problem is that although there is huge public support for Ukraine and sending them military aid, troops on the ground is a whole different story. Eastern European nations may well feel like getting stuck in but Western Europe is likely a whole different story and the American public are not looking to get involved in another war, it would be a disaster for Biden and would be a political gift to the Republicans and Trump. So I can' see Ukraine being admitted to NATO until the war is over.

Yup. At all stages the line has been "NATO is not at war with Russia". I can't see this changing.

If Poland gets stuck in, they'll be firmly on their own, and likely get the naughty step treatment from the US.

On the flipside, it's shocking how many younger Polish (mid 30's and under) actually are on Russias side in this - i've heard some quite shocking stuff.

30s and under is a mixed story everywhere, many are easily lead by stuff on social media, etc. and easily sucked into some of the propaganda especially Russia playing the victim. The last 3-4 decades of relative peace I think has skewed the perspectives of many younger people who for want of a better way to put it think it is a normal self-sustaining thing and don't see the need to be prepared to defend peace, etc.

Yup. At all stages the line has been "NATO is not at war with Russia". I can't see this changing.

If Poland gets stuck in, they'll be firmly on their own, and likely get the naughty step treatment from the US.

Though many people don't want to countenance the possibility of nuclear weapons as if by not accepting that reality that somehow makes it less likely to happen, the likes of Poland getting stuck in would be rolling the dice on nuclear weapons - whether tactical battlefield or demonstrative on their territory as a means to try and get them to back down or decisive i.e. against the capital or major cities and military targets. Russia might not rush to use them due to the consequences but there is only so far that will hold up.

30s and under is a mixed story everywhere, many are easily lead by stuff on social media, etc. and easily sucked into some of the propaganda especially Russia playing the victim. The last 3-4 decades of relative peace I think has skewed the perspectives of many younger people who for want of a better way to put it think it is a normal self-sustaining thing and don't see the need to be prepared to defend peace, etc.

Guess it just frustrates more due to having a lot of Polish friends, family and co-workers so i'm more conscious of it than i'd be otherwise, has led to a lot of heated conversations over the last year and a half.

Guess it just frustrates more due to having a lot of Polish friends, family and co-workers so i'm more conscious of it than i'd be otherwise, has led to a lot of heated conversations over the last year and a half.

Yeah, guess i should say a lot of my interactions have been with trades or labourers, which in its self could be seen as a skewed result in some form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom